Built Another Electronic Flow Regulator For My Cleanup Sluice

Out prospecting again today. I think I did well, judging from the gold showing in those convex bumps. I built another electronic flow regulator. Now I have one for my cleanups and one for use in the field. They cost very little and can be constructed in plastic lunch containers available at the dollar store. You just need a drill, screwdriver, pliers, soldering gun and some velcro to mount the elevctronics in the container. ......easy peasy!

aug2.jpg.1efe62242bd137aa1f9140fb220cbaf7.jpg

aug_2a.jpg.441826ed92e35bea08531f6c165e2313.jpg

aug2c.jpg.c4f0c529be984530fff8f7377108a9f7.jpg

aug2b.jpg.f116370dc6cbc00b6e6a340e309004c9.jpg

John  

That’s what I call thinking inside and outside of the box. Great looking setup what I see.

Chuck 

John:

Nice job!  And nice gold!  For those readers that would like to duplicate your work, do you have a circuit diagram and parts list that you are willing to share?  Thanks in advance.

4 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

John  

That’s what I call thinking inside and outside of the box. Great looking setup what I see.

Chuck 

It's great for fine tuning your clean-up system, and saves battery power in the field by not running your highbanker at full power.

John:

A sluice newbee question:  what criteria do you use to judge the proper water flow in your sluice, assuming the slope angle is correct?  Thanks in advance for your help.

Walley World has a water proof plastic box with a hinge lid gasket seal that will work nicely also. I’ve used one to assemble a pi surf pro detector knock off. 

Great information and I thank you for sharing it with us.

How big of a battery do you use to handle everything, and how long will it last.

On 8/3/2023 at 9:32 PM, Cascade Steven said:

John:

A sluice newbee question:  what criteria do you use to judge the proper water flow in your sluice, assuming the slope angle is correct?  Thanks in advance for your help.

So, I am using a drop riffle system, completely different dynamics then the usual raised riffle system. My drop riffle system uses much less water flow, allowing the gold to drop in the holed riffles, just like it would in the real world river. Raised riffle systems require more water, to get over the riffle, causing a low pressure and allowing the gold to settle and get buried in minors moss, carpet, hog matting or whatever you are using. Because my system uses less water, I can use a small bilge pump and a lithium ion 12 volt battery. This makes my equipment very light, so I just use a sled to move my equipment, instead of a wagon or dolly. Both types of riffle system will work well, as long as you have the proper angle and water flow. My drop riffle system runs best with a minimal angle, and a water flow which still allows exchange in the riffles. On this type of unit, it runs 3 different types of drop riffles, with a great capture rate. Just as other riffle systems, too fast water and angle will blow out some gold, and too little water flow and angle will plug up the riffles and the gold will just roll over the riffles. 

settingupadroprifflesystem..thumb.jpg.bd247ce03e91567ed0a2628dffd62275.jpg

droprifflesgeo.jpg.56cbc6a7557ee68450008297bbf6839f.jpg