Hurricane Hilary

Hurricane Hilary is coming and will be very dangerous
 and more than likely deadly.
that being said, i know what you California beach hunter are thinking.
just be careful, be safe.

I'm really curious to see what actually takes place on the coast this weekend. The swell looks impressive but the tides, swell direction and wind direction all seem to be working against a big beach erosion event. I think the biggest danger will be flooding and wind damage but more so in inland areas but, I agree, stay safe people!

I have always been fascinated by the natural factor, so much connected to the conformation of the coast.

In my case, being the Mediterranean a closed basin, many of the non-European cyclones arrive greatly reduced in strength and maritime effect.

Another story, on the other hand, manifests itself with thunderstorms, with rain and hail following very sharp drops in temperature.

I also have to say that strong wave energy, often makes things worse on the bottom, if it ever improves the wetsand area.

It really looks like a different game.

The amount of rain predicted for the desert (Mojave in particular but even up into northern Nevada is expected) could create some strong runoff.  I assume that means the potential of fresh ground (particularly exposed bedrock) being opened up.  Condor wrote something up about this a few weeks ago, and this could be an extreme event (over 5" rainfall -- see map below) in some otherwise arid locations.  Those of you with access to about any desert claim (or 'unclaim') in Southern California and lower 2/3 of Nevada ought to be sharpening the fossicking tools, IMO.

Saw this in NYTimes yesterday:

Screenshotat2023-08-1911-33-23.thumb.png.fb3a2731e8159208dcf663b284c4afb9.png

I would like to be able to fly near Irvine to the coast and alongside some of you enjoy the show maybe over an ice cold beer, waiting for the first useful tide to flush out things....

Maybe in another life or toward retirement, just another 30 years or so😭

My surf reports say surf will increase for only a brief time on Sunday and the energy is low even in San Diego.

If this storm was more offshore, we would get more energy because of the counterclockwise rotation.  I was ready to drive south but now I think as Compass that conditions are not very favorable, especially any place north of Long Beach.

Ah ... my new look seems to show some energy was sent off this storm before it tucked into Baja California and there may be some beaches to the north that will benefit.

I'm going out now to see.

1 hour ago, mn90403 said:

My surf reports say surf will increase for only a brief time on Sunday and the energy is low even in San Diego.

If this storm was more offshore, we would get more energy because of the counterclockwise rotation.  I was ready to drive south but now I think as Compass that conditions are not very favorable, especially any place north of Long Beach.

I still plan on trying it out. Might go tonight before the heavy wind/rain and certainly afterwards. It won't be any worse than my last 2 hunts! 😄

My hunt was awful in Santa Monica Bay and the cams this morning to the south were very disappointing.  

This storm has not produced any beach erosion in SoCal.

I didn't track the storm last fall but it just must have been more offshore to put gold in so many scoops.