Got My New 800 Control Pod

Compass

So I bit the bullet and bought a new 800 control box to replace my out of warranty, water-damaged one. Can't say that I am crazy about the $350 price tag but, at least, the new controls come with a 3 year warranty. Rather than shying away from water hunting I plan on getting this "new" detector wet early and often during the next 3 years and if it fails again, so be it. Hopefully, Minelab has addressed this waterproofing issue that they have not acknowledged (as far as I know).

I called the repair facility in PA to see if they would be returning my old detector (it is mine BTW) and they said no. I could understand if this was a warranty issue but I had to buy a new unit. What I really needed were the screws that attach the control box to the shaft bracket. For anyone needing to replace the 4 screws they are corrosion resistant, M4 x 16mm machine screws available at many places such as Home Depot and Lowes. BTW, the new control box also does not come with the screen protectors. 

20 hours ago, Compass said:

For anyone needing to replace the 4 screws they are corrosion resistant, M4 x 16mm machine screws available at many places such as Home Depot and Lowes. BTW, the new control box also does not come with the screen protectors. 

Compass you find so much great stuff I'm pretty sure the replacement is already paid off in fun, sun, and gold. 😀

Most local hardware stores these days, (Ace, True Value) stock a great array of stainless screws as well, often better than the big box stores. Even though I'm in an extremely rural area, there's an Ace 5 minutes away.

23 hours ago, Compass said:

So I bit the bullet and bought a new 800 control box to replace my out of warranty, water-damaged one. Can't say that I am crazy about the $350 price tag but, at least, the new controls come with a 3 year warranty. Rather than shying away from water hunting I plan on getting this "new" detector wet early and often during the next 3 years and if it fails again, so be it. Hopefully, Minelab has addressed this waterproofing issue that they have not acknowledged (as far as I know).

I called the repair facility in PA to see if they would be returning my old detector (it is mine BTW) and they said no. I could understand if this was a warranty issue but I had to buy a new unit. What I really needed were the screws that attach the control box to the shaft bracket. For anyone needing to replace the 4 screws they are corrosion resistant, M4 x 16mm machine screws available at many places such as Home Depot and Lowes. BTW, the new control box also does not come with the screen protectors. 

Must be you unknowingly did a "trade-in"  when you thought you were purchasing product outright.   It's pretty stinky that you didn't receive the screws from minelab,  they know you need them.   minelab could build a lot of good-will with little effort by including the screws and screen protectors, but they choose not to.    That speaks volumes to the consumer.

Hope your new control box is leakproof and performs flawlessly.   

Well Compass,

I may be doing a repeat of your story; minus the screwing on the screws! (Thanks for the info👍)!

Had the Nox out this evening for a little sunset beach detect; finished, rinsed off in the local barely running shower there(as always), and headed home! As I'm bringing the detector into my house, it suddenly turns itself on, and won't shut off!😵 Crap!!

Eventually it "let" me shut it off, but than no more on! Took the pod off to examine, and opened up the battery compartment, and a bit of water!! Double crap!!

Upon examination, there is a crack on the front face of the handle, under the rubber coating, running from the shaft interface, up the molding seam, past the "O ring sealed🙄" compartment! Wonderful!!💩

Well, nothing lasts forever, especially a Nox 800! So, "IF" I decide to replace it, this will be my 3rd pod!!😡 and yes, it's now out of warranty!! 

Strongly considering letting dead Nox's lie, as I have older and better(+-) detectors to use, that don't repeatedly fail me! (Also had to replace two 11" coils previously; Coil Ears!🤬)

Already had basically decided not to give ML another penny anyway, so I guess this is a fitting end! Think I will give it a Viking send-off in the firepit🔥, first "cool" weather we get!! It's at least earned that!!😂😵 And part-out the rest on Ebay!  

Wishing you much luck🍀💍🍀 and finds, with your new pod!!👍👍

5 hours ago, Joe D. said:

Already had basically decided not to give ML another penny anyway, so I guess this is a fitting end!

I know it is a tough road [been there]   In reality a new pod with warranty for $350 is a pretty good deal. I do not know any other Mfg. that extends something like that near their cost. 

11 hours ago, Joe D. said:

Well Compass,

I may be doing a repeat of your story; minus the screwing on the screws! (Thanks for the info👍)!

Had the Nox out this evening for a little sunset beach detect; finished, rinsed off in the local barely running shower there(as always), and headed home! As I'm bringing the detector into my house, it suddenly turns itself on, and won't shut off!😵 Crap!!

Eventually it "let" me shut it off, but than no more on! Took the pod off to examine, and opened up the battery compartment, and a bit of water!! Double crap!!

Upon examination, there is a crack on the front face of the handle, under the rubber coating, running from the shaft interface, up the molding seam, past the "O ring sealed🙄" compartment! Wonderful!!💩

Well, nothing lasts forever, especially a Nox 800! So, "IF" I decide to replace it, this will be my 3rd pod!!😡 and yes, it's now out of warranty!! 

Strongly considering letting dead Nox's lie, as I have older and better(+-) detectors to use, that don't repeatedly fail me! (Also had to replace two 11" coils previously; Coil Ears!🤬)

Already had basically decided not to give ML another penny anyway, so I guess this is a fitting end! Think I will give it a Viking send-off in the firepit🔥, first "cool" weather we get!! It's at least earned that!!😂😵 And part-out the rest on Ebay!  

Wishing you much luck🍀💍🍀 and finds, with your new pod!!👍👍

5 hours ago, midalake said:

I know it is a tough road [been there]   In reality a new pod with warranty for $350 is a pretty good deal. I do not know any other Mfg. that extends something like that near their cost. 

My heart told me not to give Minelab any more of my money but my brain said that it was better to get the new pod and new 3 year warranty. I do have other detectors but in certain environments the 800 is my best option. I, especially, like the 800 when I'm hunting fresh water swimming areas. My Fisher Aquanaut and Excalibur are okay for that type of hunting but won't detect the medium sized gold chains like the 800 can.

This is where it cracked! Not one of the spots I had heard of previously, but yeah, something to watch out for!!🍀👍👍

20230903_180335.jpg

Fingers crossed they've resolved these problems on the Manticore, I'd be surprised if they have but hopefully it's the case.  They're the company that puts 100% effort into trying to give the best performance and a generous 35% effort into giving a quality product letting known issues keep going by never even attempting to fix them up on later builds.  

If my Nox 800 did die I'd be replacing it for sure with another 800 as it's a truly great detector and one of my absolute favourites.  I couldn't let it go but I wouldn't be replacing it with a 900, to me other than the vastly improved (it seems) build quality the detector itself for my needs would be a downgrade with its poor target ID's by comparison to the 800.

If I was a serious water hunter though the 700 or even possibly more likely the X-terra Pro would be worth consideration for in water use and I'd be still using the 800 on land.

Maybe this question was answered by default but ... they have not discontinued the 800?  I mean they have the 600,700,800 and 900 all in current production and don't plan on stopping?

I had to replace my 800 control because of a broken switch.  I don't submerge them so it was not a water problem.  It was under warrant and when I took off the bracket I kept the screws and the bottom.  When I got the replacement unit back I couldn't find the bottom of the bracket.  (I found it several months later.) I called up Minelab and they sent me the bracket part at no charge.

Times and policies change I guess.

9 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Maybe this question was answered by default but ... they have not discontinued the 800?  I mean they have the 600,700,800 and 900 all in current production and don't plan on stopping?

I had to replace my 800 control because of a broken switch.  I don't submerge them so it was not a water problem.  It was under warrant and when I took off the bracket I kept the screws and the bottom.  When I got the replacement unit back I couldn't find the bottom of the bracket.  (I found it several months later.) I called up Minelab and they sent me the bracket part at no charge.

Times and policies change I guess.

I was dealing with the authorized PA repair facility and not directly with Minelab so maybe that was the reason. Also, I was out of warranty and maybe that makes a difference when it comes to customer service.