10 Largest Gold Finds?

mn90403

I don't think this is an accurate list but it adds some details to many things found and made of gold.

Top Ten Gold Treasure Discoveries of the Century (greekreporter.com)

• Like 1

I didn't see that they referred to the treasures with the adjective 'largest'.  What do they mean by "Top Ten"?  I guess whatever they choose.  Certainly some nice loot there, including at least two (that I noticed) found with metal detectors.

• Like 2

Yes mn not accurate, as you say but, good reading just the same, thanks. I'll let geof_junk tell us about the largest nugget ever found 😉

• Thanks 1

Largest gold nugget

In late 2018, miner Henry Dole - an employee of RNC Minerals - found what is now claimed to be the largest ever gold nugget. While digging in the Beta Hunt mine near Kambalda in Western Australia , Dole found a gold nugget weighing 89 kg, beating all the others on our list, and the previous historical leader, the Welcome Stranger.

The nugget is still waiting for verification of size and purity to claim its place as the world's largest gold nugget. Once determined, the gold nugget can receive an estimated value, but it will be worth millions for the gold content alone. Given its new claim as the world’s biggest gold nugget it will undoubtedly fetch a price into the tens of millions thanks to its rarity.

List of nuggets[edit]

Name Discoverer(s) Location of discovery Country Date Gross weight Net weight Notes References
Welcome Stranger John Deason and Richard Oates Moliagul 23px-Flag_of_Australia_%28converted%29.s Australia 1869 2,520 ozt (78 kg; 173 lb) 2,284 ozt (71.0 kg; 156.6 lb) Found only 3 cm (1.2 in) below the surface, near the base of a tree [5]
Welcome Nugget Red Hill Mining Company Bakery Hill, Ballarat 23px-Flag_of_Australia_%28converted%29.s Australia June 1858 2,218 ozt (69.0 kg; 152.1 lb)   Melted down in London in November 1859 [6]
Canaã nugget also known as the Pepita Canaa[a] Serra Pelada Mine State of Pará 22px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.png Brazil September 13, 1983 1,955 ozt (60.8 kg; 134.1 lb) 1,682.5 ozt (52.33 kg; 115.37 lb) Largest in existence [9]
  W. A. Farish, A. Wood, J. Winstead, F. N. L. Clevering, and Harry Warner Sierra Buttes 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States August 1869 1,593 ozt (49.5 kg; 109.2 lb)   Sold to R. B. Woodward for $21,637 [10]
  Serra Pelada Mine State of Pará 22px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.png Brazil   1,506.2 ozt (46.85 kg; 103.28 lb)   Displayed at the Banco Central Museum in Brazil [11]
  Serra Pelada Mine State of Pará 22px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.png Brazil   1,393.3 ozt (43.34 kg; 95.54 lb)   Displayed at the Banco Central Museum in Brazil [11]
Lady Hotham   Ballarat, Victoria 23px-Flag_of_Australia_%28converted%29.s Australia 1854 1,170 ozt (36 kg; 80 lb) 17 dwt. of gold Named after the wife of Governor Charles Hotham [12]
The Golden Eagle Jim Larcombe and son Goldfields-Esperance, Western Australia 23px-Flag_of_Australia_%28converted%29.s Australia 1931 1,135 ozt (35.3 kg; 77.8 lb)   Sold to and melted down by state government [13]
The Heron   Golden Gully in the Mount Alexander goldfield 23px-Flag_of_Australia_%28converted%29.s Australia 1855 1,008 ozt (31.4 kg; 69.1 lb)   Miners found the nugget on their second day of digging [14]
Hand of Faith   Kingower, Victoria 23px-Flag_of_Australia_%28converted%29.s Australia 1980 875 ozt (27.2 kg; 60.0 lb)   Found using a metal detector [15]
Fricot Nugget William Davis Sierra Nevada and Northern California goldfields 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States 1865 201 ozt (6.3 kg; 13.8 lb)   Sold for $3500 to Jules Fricot, who sent it to the 1878 Paris Exposition. On display at the California State Mining and Mineral Museum. [16]
Dogtown Nugget Chauncey Wright for Phineas Willard, Ira Weatherbee and Wyatt M. Smith. Magalia, California 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States 1859 648 ozt (20.2 kg; 44.4 lb)   Sold to the San Francisco Mint for $10,600 [1
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm puzzled. The Beta Hunt is a hardrock mine. I was under the impression to be called a nugget the gold had to be placer. All the other nuggets on the list of big nuggets came from placer deposits.

If hardrock deposits of gold could be called nuggets there are much larger masses uncovered in hardrock mines. There was a solid gold stope mined in the United Verde extension that topped out at nearly a ton.

• Like 4

That’s interesting because I have seen larger masses underground  and have herd of more nuggets  are placer right must be confused