New Find

WYAZCOL

Hello:

I found the Detector Prospector site just a few days back. I quickly recognized the extent of knowledge and obvious expertise evident in the postings. I appreciate the 'no nonsense' orientation. I look forward to learning more and hopefully in time adding to the discussion. I had spent way too much of my life indoors behind a desk working long hours. I had the benefit of some fun early life (late 1960s) experiences of swinging a basic (Sears?) metal detector and then rediscovered prospecting about a decade ago. I enjoy the exploration, exercise, and excitement associated with digging each new hole. 

Welcome from East Texas. Too many of us have also spent too much time living to work instead of the right way round.

3 hours ago, WYAZCOL said:

I had the benefit of some fun early life (late 1960s) experiences of swinging a basic (Sears?) metal detector and then rediscovered prospecting about a decade ago. I enjoy the exploration, exercise, and excitement associated with digging each new hole.

Welcome, WYAZCOL!

Newbies or old hats -- it's the feelings you mention (throw in 'accomplishment' and 'self-satisfaction') that keeps us coming back.

14 hours ago, rvpopeye said:

Welcome aboard WYAZCOL

This is a great place to get good answers . You chose wisely.  

Still have that old detector , or shopping ?  

Some 40 years ago I gave the detector to a niece back east with the hope it might catch her interest. Not sure about her use, its condition or whereabouts. Your question will remind me to ask. 

On 10/3/2023 at 2:21 PM, WYAZCOL said:

Some 40 years ago I gave the detector to a niece back east with the hope it might catch her interest. Not sure about her use, its condition or whereabouts. Your question will remind me to ask. 

Please don't ask. That way you prevent your niece to tell the truth what may hurt you or to tell not the truth what may hurt her. Leave it untouched, be happy the way it is. If you had interest in that had you would have asked her earlier, right? 😉

11 hours ago, locator said:

Please don't ask. That way you prevent your niece to tell the truth what may hurt you or to tell not the truth what may hurt her. Leave it untouched, be happy the way it is. If you had interest in that had you would have asked her earlier, right? 😉

I'm certain I did ask long long ago but cannot remember. It might still be in my brother's basement (I will inquire with zero potential for emotional repercussion). BTW, you now got me thinking. Back in my 20s when finances were especially tight, I also regifted my cool 'Radio Shack' synthesizer (manufactured by the Moog Music corporation). Like the metal detector, that thing was awesome. 

I still have my sad old rat shack detector , funny thing ,,I was thinking of giving it to an old friend who needs things to do !

As a musician I have also learned the hard way , never get rid of your "tools" I

I regret not keeping every guitar , amp or microphone I gave up. Almost all of that "useless " gear sold for next to nothing are now high price collectors items...LOL

We all have done it. We all will probably continue to do it. 

WHY ? Because we are obviously focused on the product , not the tools.

But we're musicians and everybody knows we ain't right !

Hmmm probably the same thing most people think about us metal detector "players".  Right?  Arrrr