Auto Ground Tracking

KDX

I haven't seen a video or article yet that advocates for using the auto ground tracking feature on the Manticore. Is manually setting the ground balance an ingrained habit for detectorists because that's always been the way to set up machines in years past, or does the feature not work very well?

There's a video somewhere the lead engineer of Minelab talked about using ground balance of 0 on Manticore.  For me I use tracking at the  beach or area which I get different ground balance reading at multiple spot . manual GB for hunting deep targets and in iron if I can find a spot to GB. If I'm lazy or not sure  I just use 0 GB..

7 hours ago, KDX said:

does the feature not work very well?

You can see how the tracking works in real time when you in the ground balance menu. But don't use tracking start from 0. It will track slowly (maybe the ground phase is not so much different at the soil I tested so its appear to track slowly.. idk lol) to the actual ground balance.. anyway always pump the coil to get the actual ground balance first and then tracking

11 hours ago, fishersari said:

There's a video somewhere the lead engineer of Minelab talked about using ground balance of 0 on Manticore. 

I found that interesting when I came across it the other day. 

Here's the link to the "shorts" video you're talking about:

Engineer on ground balance

It's easier to read what he is saying at the top of the video rather than trying to hear him.

On 10/25/2023 at 12:12 PM, KDX said:

I haven't seen a video or article yet that advocates for using the auto ground tracking feature on the Manticore.

I am not sure what the manual states?  I think where most are using tracking is at a salt beach. I run tracking GB regardless of the detector I am using. 

My soil conditions change too quickly.  I gave up manually ground balancing years ago with the Equinox.   I just remember how many times that I re-balanced my Tesoro to go over ground just detected and was actually successful in recovering something interesting. 

On 10/25/2023 at 1:12 PM, KDX said:

I haven't seen a video or article yet that advocates for using the auto ground tracking feature on the Manticore. Is manually setting the ground balance an ingrained habit for detectorists because that's always been the way to set up machines in years past, or does the feature not work very well?

This is on page 61 of the Manticore instruction manual.

Tracking Ground Balance is the default and recommended Ground Balance method for Beach Surf & Seawater mode and Goldfield General mode. It effectively manages the constantly changing conditions in saltwater and mineralised goldfield soils.

I have been playing around with the setting and when in the salt water it seems to smooth out the constant changing conditions of the sandy bottom. Sweep speed is very important.

As the manual states... it is the default and recommended GB method for Beach Surf & Seawater.