Finally away from a summer season in which I did not even touch the water, the time has come for the first storms, and right now thunderstorms and threatening waves are hitting "my" coast.

So all that remains is to hope for the opening of a few spots with a reduced layer.

It often happens that something goes wrong and, for the purpose of removing sand, the storm brings more.

At that point heavy strategies and calculations begin.

Several years back I went so far as to build a dredge and test it successfully, despite not finding any interesting material in the same spot.

Constant breakage due to salt water and corrosion make the equipment fragile for continuous use, and too many times the expense of repairing it does not pay off.
Abandoning the massive excavation project, I went through the use of a dpv and came to the conclusion that darn it, no one operates as effectively as Mother Nature.

Numbers matter, whether you are mining fine powder or nuggets in the form of rings, if you don't explore at least 100 square meters in 3 hours, you don't even have a clue what the bottom is really like.
These are not exact figures, but a rough idea of what it means to prepare what is necessary and how much to expect in terms of results.

No photos at the moment, I reinvested the (little) material collected in October for a setup change, hoping to improve the effort/output ratio.

IMG-20231105-WA0010.jpg

• Like 9

Looks like your working on a nice little dredge setup, what size boat motor are you going to use.

I know people that has placed a small pontoon on one side of a boat that size and placed a sluice on it to capture everything he could.

Good luck and stay safe out there.

• Thanks 1

This is actually a suspended project from the past.

I used a 6.5Hp motor pump and differential diameter piping to raise the pressure and get more suction.

I didn't need the sluice because I placed a fine mesh net in front of the nozzle just in case I saw some rings sucked upward.

This kept the pipes clear of stones and suction always powerful.

Problem is that dredging remains one of the operations for which permits must be obtained before starting, and the use of mechanical tools along the shoreline is not tolerated.

At that point my dive buddy and I at that time, used dpvs to level the layer but the battery life is penalizing...Obnoxious then, having to leave the excavation point without boat and gps and then return to shore, change battery and tanks and return as navy seals to the hot point.

I am waiting for an expedition with a corded breathing device similar to Brownies' Third Lung to at least eliminate the clutter of cylinders and transport the dpv, which I convert to lithium, on a floating cart.
It will be another month before testing, unfortunately.

• Like 2