Manticore V Gp3500 (round 1)

Did a "just for fun" air test between the Manticore and GP3500. We all know air tests are not particularly useful but it certainly highlights the Manticore's "power" as well as the fact that an air test for a PI isn't an indication of anything.

Using my 18K wedding band. Average size at 7 grams.

GP3500 settings;

• 14" Coiltek DD coil
  • Fixed GB in DD mode
  • Soil "Normal"
  • Boost "Deep"

Manticore settings;

• M15 coil
  • Beach Low conductors / Beach Deep
  • GB at 00
  • Sensitivity at 22 (too chatty above this setting at home)
  • Recovery at 3
  • "Prospecting" audio
  • Ferrous Limits 4 (top) and 0 (Bottom)

GP3500: Slight break in threshold at 16". EMI was minimal with the DD coil even at home.

Manticore: Clean break in threshold at 20". What more can I say except "wow". As mentioned before, my beaches are predominantly white sand beaches so I am very keen to see how this translates into real world conditions. Hope to do the beach test soon.

Tony

Round 1 : Manticore (easily)

IMG_0438.JPG

IMG_0437.JPG

You're spot on, in mild soils and coral sand beaches it's a bit of a depth demon, much like the CTX in that regard, a noticeable difference in depth over the Equinox.  The extra power to the coil they marketed it with has some merit. 

We want in the ground test~~ we want in the ground test~~~ 😁

• Recovery at 3
  • "Prospecting" audio

man... I wish I can  run the manticore at this recovery speed for the m11. For now the lowest I can do is 4... when I'm on 3.. the ground/target response is much different for my ears.. cant make sense of it.. with m8 I can run recovery speed of 2/3.. don't know why..

6 hours ago, fishersari said:

We want in the ground test~~ we want in the ground test~~~ 😁

• Recovery at 3
  • "Prospecting" audio

man... I wish I can  run the manticore at this recovery speed for the m11. For now the lowest I can do is 4... when I'm on 3.. the ground/target response is much different for my ears.. cant make sense of it.. with m8 I can run recovery speed of 2/3.. don't know why..

99% of the time I'm running recovery at 4 on the salt beaches with the M11. I have tried 3 but the ground response is way too broad and reacts to the salt too much. If I slow my swing speed to a snail's pace, I could possibly hunt on 3 without too much background noise. Coil control is also so, so important. I'm looking forward to getting the M8 as it should enable me to run a much higher sensitivity level, thus punching deeper and hopefully a better response to chains. Also, with the M8 the salt response will be less.

Do that same test in Culpeper VA and the Manticore will be cut to 6" or less (it might iron grunt on it a few inches deeper) and the GP 3500 will still be hitting that ring at 14". Just saying. I've also done a similar test at the Great Salt Lake here in Utah. High salt content low minerals. The Manticore would most likely hit that ring at 14" and the GP 3500 with the 14" coil would be at about 16". The Manticore handles the salt very well. High Mineralization still kills all VLF's.

2 hours ago, abenson said:

Do that same test in Culpeper VA and the Manticore will be cut to 6" or less (it might iron grunt on it a few inches deeper) and the GP 3500 will still be hitting that ring at 14". Just saying. I've also done a similar test at the Great Salt Lake here in Utah. High salt content low minerals. The Manticore would most likely hit that ring at 14" and the GP 3500 with the 14" coil would be at about 16". The Manticore handles the salt very well. High Mineralization still kills all VLF's.

Agree.

Conversely, in neutral soils (no salt, no mineralization), top end PI's have minimal depth advantage over top end VLFs like the Manticore or Deus 2 on coin or ring sized targets.  So the OP's results are not surprising at all and wouldn't be surprising for many high end vlfs (i.e., the Manticore is not unique in this regard).

10 hours ago, abenson said:

Do that same test in Culpeper VA

I have Culpeper in my backyard 😃..........my spare car parking spot is composed of heavy Western Australian crushed ironstone (about 6" to 8" deep). This stuff jumps onto a magnet two inches above the ground. I might run the Manticore over this stuff....yikes !

My GP3500 handles this stuff easily. Anyone care to recommend best settings for the Manticore.

I'm guessing the M11 coil, fast recovery, GB as best as I can, Goldfield mode, Sensitivity low.......wish for the best.

IMG_0439.JPG

IMG_0441.JPG

I'd be interested to see how the Manticore does. My guess is it will struggle with it.

I have made a quick video. The results were better than I would have thought but Sensitivity needs to be around 13 (for the M15 coil). The only thing I can't replicate is the finer material between the individual stones so as to make it more compact. I wonder if this skews the results one way or the other......probably not ?

Hit the ring at around the 8" mark.....but comfortably. Stronger hits as the Sensitivity is increased but also more ground noise.

I'll see if I can upload the video.

Goldfield general...default settings mainly.

Rough and ready video......let me know if you see some obvious problems or mistakes I've made.

I can also test a half Oz nugget as well.