50 Historical Claims By My Home

I live in elko county NV. There is about 50 historical claims within a mile of my home. All claims ended in the mid 1990's.  From what I  understand,  up until the mid 90's, you could patent a claim, and the property was essentially yours. I've only found one spot that looks to have been dug and possibly  washed. Otherwise I haven't seen any signs of workings at all. I'm wondering if maybe the main intention of these claims were solely for the purpose of acquiring the land, but gave up when Clinton put a stop to patented claims. Is this common throughout Nevada?  I'm not near any known placer deposits. A few of the claims were listed as placer, but the large majority were lode claims. The only info on them when opened in mylandmatters, is number of claims, years of claims, and type of claim. No record numbers listed . I doubt I'll be able to get any history of them, but I will try.  

You should get a couple of books and research your area. Steve has them for download here.

Here's a good start. Best wishes! snakejim

• Like 2

The lode claims might be “Carlin” type deposits, there may have been speculation of resale involved. The old claim patent rules required proof of assessment work over a period of time (5 years?). There might be old (eocene) placer deposits on the ridges to the south.

• Like 1

First be aware that the majority of mining claims are not located for gold. Just because there were claims there doesn't mean it should be of interest. You probably aren't prospecting for Pozzolan, Bentonite or Perlite.

You can find out about all of those closed claims by running a search of the MLRS Mining Claims Geographic Report located here:

https://reports.blm.gov/report/mlrs/105/Mining-Claims-Geographic-Report/

Take the information from that report and look up the claims at the County Recorder if you want to know their mapped location.

Mineral patents never provided free land. A mining claim had to be developed and the mineral deposit perfected (proven and documented) and surveyed before a patent application could be made. Generally fees and expenses for a patent would run about $20,000 in the 1970's and take about 10 years. That's a lot of money just to acquire 20.66 acres of dry desert land. Cheaper just to buy the land if it didn't have a profitable mineral deposit.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, HardPack said:

The lode claims might be “Carlin” type deposits, there may have been speculation of resale involved. The old claim patent rules required proof of assessment work over a period of time (5 years?). There might be old (eocene) placer deposits on the ridges to the south.

That makes sense. Maybe the one  that was worked was an attempt to get a patent?  I'm rather hoping there is gold there though. Would be nice to prospect within walking distance of home! When all this white stuff goes away, I'll definitely be exploring it all. I'll be checking with the county recorder to see if they have any info this winter.

3 minutes ago, Clay Diggins said:

First be aware that the majority of mining claims are not located for gold. Just because there were claims there doesn't mean it should be of interest. You probably aren't prospecting for Pozzolan, Bentonite or Perlite.

You can find out about all of those closed claims by running a search of the MLRS Mining Claims Geographic Report located here:

https://reports.blm.gov/report/mlrs/105/Mining-Claims-Geographic-Report/

Take the information from that report and look up the claims at the County Recorder if you want to know their mapped location.

Mineral patents never provided free land. A mining claim had to be developed and the mineral deposit perfected (proven and documented) and surveyed before a patent application could be made. Generally fees and expenses for a patent would run about $20,000 in the 1970's and take about 10 years. That's a lot of money just to acquire 20.66 acres of dry desert land. Cheaper just to buy the land if it didn't have a profitable mineral deposit.

That is very useful information.  Thank you. Placer claims would have been for gold, right? Or are placer claims for other minerals also?

1 hour ago, snakejim said:

You should get a couple of books and research your area. Steve has them for download here.

Here's a good start. Best wishes! snakejim

If nothing else, this new hobby has got me reading more books again. Reading is one thing, comprehending it all is another lol

20240113_085608.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ndplumr said:

That is very useful information.  Thank you. Placer claims would have been for gold, right? Or are placer claims for other minerals also?

Placer claims are also made for Pozzolan, Bentonite or Perlite and many other minerals. Most gold claims are hard rock lode claims but if the gold is found loose in the sediments a placer claim would be appropriate.

Claim type is based on the nature of the mineral deposit - not the mineral being located. Heavier minerals like gold, tin and Tungsten ores are found in both placer and hardrock forms.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ndplumr said:

If nothing else, this new hobby has got me reading more books again.

Would you mind posting the full name (and author, if appropriate) of that book/pamphlet titled "GPS Coordinates of Historic..."?

9 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Would you mind posting the full name (and author, if appropriate) of that book/pamphlet titled "GPS Coordinates of Historic..."?

There you go sir.

20240113_091857.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1