Are Claim Markers Reliable Enough ?

It's easy enough to look up areas and see what sections have claims, how many claims, and the type of claims, but to get the exact location of each claim, you need to submit a request to the county recorder to get that info. At least that seems to be the way it works where I live. My question is, is it fair practice to just rely on claim markers when your hunting for a spot to prospect ? And what is the legality of the situation if you wander onto a claim that isn't properly staked? 

Nevada claims must have corner stakes / monuments. They must be maintained. California claims do not require staking but it is wise to do so. All claims must have an up to date location notice on the claim. Don't trust any of it. I would get a blister on my typing finger if I tried to explain it here.

If you have a specific target area to prospect, this is the perfect time of year to do your research. But be aware It appears BLM mistakenly closed nearly 3,000 claims and still hasn't sorted the mess out.

There are folks on this forum that are much more adept at this aspect of prospecting than I so I'm sure some will reply.

Lotsaluck.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ndplumr said:

It's easy enough to look up areas and see what sections have claims, how many claims, and the type of claims, but to get the exact location of each claim, you need to submit a request to the county recorder to get that info. At least that seems to be the way it works where I live. My question is, is it fair practice to just rely on claim markers when your hunting for a spot to prospect ? And what is the legality of the situation if you wander onto a claim that isn't properly staked? 

I have had mining claims for 33 years, and it's not possible to check my claims every day. My corner posts seem to fall over and hide in the bushes on occasion and the paperwork seems to evaporate from time to time. Claim jumpers? Properly staked? I place corner posts on my claims and the paperwork at a designated corner that is noted in the documents that I file with the County and the BLM. However, if the posts and paperwork disappear afterwards? Then what? The claim is still valid. I do replace the posts and paperwork, but it may be 6 months before I get back to that claim. I guess you pay your money and take your chances. Good luck! snakejim

• Like 6

10 hours ago, snakejim said:

I have had mining claims for 33 years, and it's not possible to check my claims every day. My corner posts seem to fall over and hide in the bushes on occasion and the paperwork seems to evaporate from time to time. Claim jumpers? Properly staked? I place corner posts on my claims and the paperwork at a designated corner that is noted in the documents that I file with the County and the BLM. However, if the posts and paperwork disappear afterwards? Then what? The claim is still valid. I do replace the posts and paperwork, but it may be 6 months before I get back to that claim. I guess you pay your money and take your chances. Good luck! snakejim

Yep. Even tried using concrete on a couple of markers and the hooligans ran a truck over them. Unless you can patrol them on a regular basis there's not much to stop them from pulling them out or knocking them down. I also use lots of metal signs high enough on trees so they can see them but can't get at them without a ladder. A lot of work. 

• Like 4

The best thing to do is have a lat/long on the notice on one of your claim corners with boundaries and distances measured out from this point, so you can prove where the boundaries were if someone takes or moves the corner markers. Problem solved legally by basically having it surveyed on map. This well also help the new locator in avoiding your claim.

• Like 3

The key here is that it is your responsibility to know the status of the ground you are on. Ignorance for any reason is not an excuse, otherwise lots of people would be proactively ignorant. I suspect some people throw corner posts on a hole just so they can say they did not see them. Penalties incurred can be facing charges for mineral trespass, and in Alaska at least looking down the wrong end of a 12ga shotgun. There are some people out in the bush you don’t want to get sideways of.

On the flip side, I know of people that bluff people off by basically squatting on a location and running people off telling them it is their claim, when in fact it is not. Knowledge is the only solution, and that means learning how to visit the local recording office to pull up claims information. In general online information is only good to the quarter section and often runs late, so the recording office is your best bet for staying out of uncomfortable situations. I’ll be making a visit to mine very soon.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1