Anyone Ever Prospect In Abandoned Shafts Or Tunnels?

Good evening fellas,

Last trip To WA I was impressed as there were so many old gold mines, many were 5-30 meters deep, and I saw one shaft actually had two leves (stories). I wonder if someone can dive in and prospect in the tunnel, where there still might be gold behind the tunnel but cannot be found by the early explorers as 100 years ago they didn't have detectors?

Any stories or experience? Surely it Must be dangerous ☠️💀👻

• Oh my! 1

If you ever do don’t go it alone but be sure your friend stays outside. The reason for this is so he can tell your family where to find you.

Chuck 

• Like 6

It’s just so many dangers like old timber’s that’s ready to give way but you don’t know when until it’s too late. Maybe a old box 📦 of dynamite 🧨 just waiting for you to come along and give it a kick.

All I’m saying is just don’t put yourself in harms way. 
Lots of times they didn’t know they hit pay until some of it went down the hill side and that’s where you want to be looking.

Chuck 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Ridge Runner said:

It’s just so many dangers like old timber’s that’s ready to give way but you don’t know when until it’s too late. Maybe a old box 📦 of dynamite 🧨 just waiting for you to come along and give it a kick.

All I’m saying is just don’t put yourself in harms way. 
Lots of times they didn’t know they hit pay until some of it went down the hill side and that’s where you want to be looking.

Chuck 

Thanks Chuck. I actually would like to see or hear what people found or see in those mines. Never under a mine just curious. I don't reckon I would risky myself into a shaft. If anyone has mine pics please show us 😸

You also mentioned 'some of it went down the hill side'. Sorry what you mean by that? I didn't get it. 🙂

Ethan

• The title was changed to Anyone Ever Prospect In Abandoned Shafts Or Tunnels?

Yes, it can be dangerous. From https://www.blm.gov/sites/default/files/uploads/AML_PUB_DangersAtAbandonedMines.pdf

Why Are There Abandoned Mines?
Abandoned mines are what is left over from mining activities in
the distant past. Back then, mine operators could simply walk
away from a mine without removing safety or environmental
hazards. Today, federal and state laws require that mine
operators make mine sites safe before abandoning them.
How Dangerous Are Abandoned Mines?
Every year, many people are killed or hurt at abandoned mine
sites. In 2000–2013 alone, 381 people were killed; 152 people
suffered broken bones and other injuries
. Across the country,
abandoned mines exist in every state. Even a mine that was
“safe” last year could be deadly today due to deteriorating
conditions.
The leading cause of death at abandoned mines is drowning
in water-filled pits and quarries. Steep, slippery walls make
it difficult to get out of the water. Old machinery and other
hazards beneath the water can injure or trap you.
The second most common cause of death and injury is falling
into vertical underground mine openings. These openings
can be hundreds of feet deep. Often they are not visible but
concealed by dirt, rock, mine debris, and water. Unstable
ground or decaying timbers around mine openings can simply
drop out from beneath your feet.

I would note that since this publication came out things have improved. The statistics are a decade old. They have marked and fenced many old shafts and pits. Still, I’ve seen plenty that are wide open, and a simple misstep in mining country could cost you your life. But frankly you can say the same about walking around in a city. Be cautious and have your wits about you, and never let gold greed overcome common sense.

No finds or pics from me because I stay out of them.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Ethan in Adelaide said:

Thanks Chuck. I actually would like to see or hear what people found or see in those mines. Never under a mine just curious. I don't reckon I would risky myself into a shaft. If anyone has mine pics please show us 😸

You also mentioned 'some of it went down the hill side'. Sorry what you mean by that? I didn't get it. 🙂

Ethan

One hazard not mentioned and has killed people who go into old mines is poisonous gases that build up down in some mines, you usually can't smell the gas and one lung full is usually enough to kill a person or at least make you pass out and then you die as you breathe more of the bad air.

When the mines were active the miners had ventilation installed to vent out any bad air and pump in fresh air.

What Ridge Runner is saying about some of it went downhill is, when the miners were removing the gold bearing ore they would haul it out of the mine and then had chutes that they dumped it in to get the ore downhill where they would process it to remove the gold, there could still be some gold bearing ore at the bottom of the hill that spilled out or was never processed.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

From https://www.blm.gov/sites/default/files/uploads/AML_PUB_DangersAtAbandonedMines.pdf

Why Are There Abandoned Mines?
Abandoned mines are what is left over from mining activities in
the distant past. Back then, mine operators could simply walk
away from a mine without removing safety or environmental
hazards. Today, federal and state laws require that mine
operators make mine sites safe before abandoning them.
How Dangerous Are Abandoned Mines?
Every year, many people are killed or hurt at abandoned mine
sites. In 2000–2013 alone, 381 people were killed; 152 people
suffered broken bones and other injuries
. Across the country,
abandoned mines exist in every state. Even a mine that was
“safe” last year could be deadly today due to deteriorating
conditions.
The leading cause of death at abandoned mines is drowning
in water-filled pits and quarries. Steep, slippery walls make
it difficult to get out of the water. Old machinery and other
hazards beneath the water can injure or trap you.
The second most common cause of death and injury is falling
into vertical underground mine openings. These openings
can be hundreds of feet deep. Often they are not visible but
concealed by dirt, rock, mine debris, and water. Unstable
ground or decaying timbers around mine openings can simply
drop out from beneath your feet.

I would note that since this publication came out things have improved. The statistics are a decade old. They have marked and fenced many old shafts and pits. Still, I’ve seen plenty that are wide open, and a simple misstep in mining country could cost you your life. But frankly you can say the same about walking around in a city. Be cautious and have your wits about you, and never let gold greed overcome common sense.

Very good, thank you..

I saw youtubes many people adventure in mines, very deep mines where it has water, that would make sense. not sure if in WA if the mines are deep enough to have water? Anyway I won't risk. I will always come back to chat in the forum to prove I am still alive, if not not by the mines.

39 minutes ago, Gold Seeker said:

One hazard not mentioned and has killed people who go into old mines is poisonous gases that build up down in some mines, you usually can't smell the gas and one lung full is usually enough to kill a person or at least make you pass out and then you die as you breathe more of the bad air.

When the mines were active the miners had ventilation installed to vent out any bad air and pump in fresh air.

What Ridge Runner is saying about some of it went downhill is, when the miners were removing the gold bearing ore they would haul it out of the mine and then had chutes that they dumped it in to get the ore downhill where they would process it to remove the gold, there could still be some gold bearing ore at the bottom of the hill that spilled out or was never processed.

I see. Thanks for explanation I will pay more attention to this. 😁

I used to do mapping and surveys in abandoned mines for the Forest and National Park Service.  As mentioned by others, any adit that heads downhill or is below where you are standing can be a pocket for dead air, particularly heavier than air gasses that you can’t smell (some in high concentrations) like carbon monoxide, sulfur dioxide and methane. That’s why we had to carry gas detectors for it.  There are winzes that lead to different levels that as Steve mentioned, that can be covered by debris and easy to step into. Many old mines have weak and deteriorating collars that can collapse if you are standing near a shaft opening, and some mines have winzes that lead all the up to the surface where ore was dug out from below so there is no tailing pile nearby indicating there is a hole in the ground.  There are people who didn’t notice this and drove into them.  One year a couple marines drove their SUV into one, and one of the guys survived the initial fall. He died of carbon monoxide poisoning though when he  lit one of their tires to make a signal fire. Another guy died when he and a bunch of friends were out exploring a deep mine when the battery of their only light, their video camera, died and they had to crawl around in the dark to find their way back out. Unfortunately, one of them fell into another winze and didn’t make it.

Another thing to look out for are things that jump out at you from the side walls, seriously!  A coworker was  doing bat surveys in mines and was capturing them with a net. Something flew by her from the side wall of an adit and she caught it in the net in mid air, but then the net started buzzing. It was a rattlesnake that jumped out from high on the side wall! They apparently can climb up walls to catch bats.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh my! 1