Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

Mf Machines On Mineralized Black Sand Salt Beach. D2 And Equinox [long]

18 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I know you are allergic to ground grab ground balancing the Equinox and prefer to run in tracking for good reason.

I also understand that you set discrim on Deus 2 above 20???

Have you tried ground grab ground balancing Deus 2? The key to it is to start gently pumping the coil before pressing the pinpoint button especially with a big coil like the 11 or 13X11”. Tom D. never got that nuanced technique from reading his Deus 2 blog. 

I have never liked the tracking ground balance much on Deus 2.

Yes, Discrimination at 22. 

So, a few questions on ground grab. Yesterday I was hunting with the Equinox, and this has been pretty steady all season. I had to vary the sensitivity about 10 times from 19 to 22 due to Black Sand content.  

Would I not have to ground grab for all of those changes in Black Sand content. ? Any tips you can give me for changing conditions would be helpful. 

I am more than willing to try! There is one section of beach that is stable, and I can give it a try there. ?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bill (S. CA) said:

That's why these settings discussions, while interesting, really never end up going anywhere for me.  There are just too may variables.  Even here in S. CA, black sand varies a great deal.

Agreed Bill. I tend not to try and fix things that are not broken or where I have confidence.  I am lacking that confidence on fringe nonferrous targets with the D2 in Black Sand. Going to experiment some more, and even test your friends' settings. 

17 hours ago, midalake said:

Agreed Bill. I tend not to try and fix things that are not broken or where I have confidence.  I am lacking that confidence on fringe nonferrous targets with the D2 in Black Sand. Going to experiment some more, and even test your friends' settings. 

You have the right mindset, Dave.  That's why I follow your posts.  Your only agenda is to find settings that work for you and you are kind enough to share your results.  Gee, interesting concept, you know?  

The post above is a good example of how & why a True All Metal Motion channel would be very useful in certain conditions.  It is a shame that none of the more recent high end SMF introductions include this once common feature. It is already in the detector, just limited to Non Motion Pin Point. The Rutus Versa is the only example I know of that offers it as a user option.

• Like 1

@dave_e, yes I will keep my Anfibio Multi too for that & other reasons. And how about your Atrex?   But they are all Single frequency. In tough ground conditions, My SMF units run noticeably smoother & ID deeper. Why not True All Metal on more SMF machines?

On 2/8/2024 at 10:25 PM, JCR said:

@dave_e, yes I will keep my Anfibio Multi too for that & other reasons. And how about your Atrex?   But they are all Single frequency. In tough ground conditions, My SMF units run noticeably smoother & ID deeper. Why not True All Metal on more SMF machines?

I was considering trading my Apex.  It's really gently used and is mint and has the tiny CC coil and the white 11" DD.

Thinking about trading the Equinox as well. 

My shoulder is telling me I have to use something like a Deus I or II.  Trying to avoid surgery.

If you are pleased with the Atrex's capabilities you might want to seriously look at the new Rutus Versa. It is very light weight & balanced in a modern waterproof package.  The modes & options mirror the Atrex, but the performance has been enhanced considerably. The upcoming software update will enhance it even more. I think a Deus I would be going backwards on performance.

• Like 1