What Type Of Workings Is This?

I found this spot close to home. There are dozer scrapings where I took the picture from. The video view point is from the bottom of the hole where all the fine material is. I'm curious what methods were used to work this area. It's probably obvious to many here, but I'm trying to learn what I'm seeing out there.

20240128_134025.jpg

20240128_134118.jpg

I don't see any evidence of mining. More than likely what you are seeing is a mass wasting flow event.

Mass wasting is a very important concept for placer gold prospectors to understand. More placer gold is moved and concentrated by mass wasting than flooding.

https://opengeology.org/textbook/10-mass-wasting/

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Clay Diggins said:

I don't see any evidence of mining. More than likely what you are seeing is a mass wasting flow event.

Mass wasting is a very important concept for placer gold prospectors to understand. More placer gold is moved and concentrated by mass wasting than flooding.

https://opengeology.org/textbook/10-mass-wasting/

I appreciate your input on this. The reasons I assumed it had been worked are.. 1. The 8ft pit with fine material at the bottom surrounded by piles of large rocks/boulders. 2. The dozer/loader scrapings above it seeming to lead into it. 3. The large rock in the video with the hole cored into it. 4. There is another similar pit about 75 yards away in the distance.  I will be reading up on the mass wasting subject for sure. This is the first time I've heard of that and appreciate you bringing it to my attention. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ndplumr said:

I appreciate your input on this. The reasons I assumed it had been worked are.. 1. The 8ft pit with fine material at the bottom surrounded by piles of large rocks/boulders. 2. The dozer/loader scrapings above it seeming to lead into it. 3. The large rock in the video with the hole cored into it. 4. There is another similar pit about 75 yards away in the distance.  I will be reading up on the mass wasting subject for sure. This is the first time I've heard of that and appreciate you bringing it to my attention. 

If you’re thinking gold, why don’t you grab a bunch of samples and hand pan in it? These little piles in the center are kind of interesting, if I saw them in person I would be sure, but could they maybe be drywasher piles? Can’t quite tell from the photo.

IMG_1879.jpeg

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, GotAU? said:

If you’re thinking gold, why don’t you grab a bunch of samples and hand pan in it?

Last fall I actually did grab a couple 1 gallon samples and hand panned them. My panning skills are in need of more practice, and the small samples I've taken are minimal.  No gold in the pan. The samples were from the fines in the bottom of the pit. I'll be doing more as the weather permits for sure. I'm also in the middle of building a portable drywasher to test spots like this. Way too wet for that right now. It's close to home, so it will be my go to spot when I don't have time to travel to better areas. 

• Like 2

To be honest, I think getting more grab samples across the area would be more effective than drywashing in fewer spots for testing to verify the presence of gold.  Keep track of where you got all the samples, and if any of them turn out positive, then bring the drywasher there.

Also, if youre sampling gravel and dirt fines, then dig a hole because any of the gold is buried below it.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ndplumr said:

found this spot close to home

Some of the smaller rock piles appear to be hand stacked. It may have been a sample site explaining the coring. Check Land Matters for not only current claims but historic claims. 

• Like 2

It looks like a volcanic ash deposit. If so it could be they were prospecting for quality pozzolan. There is a lot of pozzolan mining in Nevada. Is this in Churchill county? There has been a lot of sampling and claiming of pozzolan deposits there recently.

Quality pozzolan can be claimed like any other valuable mineral. Regular volcanic ash deposits can't support a mining claim. Quantifying and proving a pozzolan deposit is usually done by scraping the surface in the exploration stage.

https://www.concrete.org/tools/frequentlyaskedquestions.aspx?faqid=689

• Like 2

1 hour ago, klunker said:

Exploration. If it was any good then they would still be there mining.

2 cents please.

Visa and master card accepted with valid I.D.

I think your a little steep on your prices for consulting.  🤣

• Haha 2