Going GPX 5000 Modded - Any Tips?

11 minutes ago, Guys gold said:

Did Mick give you a date he might be done ?He has been pretty swamped.

Yeah before he leaves in mid April.  Which works good for me.   Mine and Reese's claims wont be snow free until May anyway.    Sounds like mine is one of the last he is excepting for awhile.   

• 2 months later...

@Gold Ryder did you end up getting your 5000 back? 

Last few months I've been to Western Australia and back, mostly using the 6000 and have had little time to really fiddle with the modded 5000 and compare the 5 and 6.   

Until a few days ago I really hadn't wrapped my head around the 5000's settings and I probably still haven't!  But, I am pretty happy with my settings now as it really seems dialed.  17 bits this morning for a 1.2 gram total.  

I had already decided to sell the 6000 as I just don't need both.  Really thought I would regret losing the small target sensitivity of the 6000 but now I don't think I'm losing much at all as many of the 17 bits came off a very small spot the 6000 has been over several times.  Probably still lose a bit on porous/wire type gold but don't think there is any difference at all on the denser bits.  

image.png.b71cbf6e2f03037628ccda8a264e6b39.png

10 hours ago, Northeast said:

17 bits this morning for a 1.2 gram total.  

I had already decided to sell the 6000 as I just don't need both.  Really thought I would regret losing the small target sensitivity of the 6000 but now I don't think I'm losing much at all as many of the 17 bits came off a very small spot the 6000 has been over several times. 

That’s really good on the size gold it’s picking up. Can you share your coil size and settings.

Update on the Modded 5000. 15" Nugget finder evo, biggest was .3 total was .89.  First real day in the field on pounded ground by 6 and 5000. Nothing shallower than 5-6".  Its impressive to say the least. 

IMG_7577.jpeg

On 5/17/2024 at 12:56 AM, RONS DETECTORS MINELAB said:

That’s really good on the size gold it’s picking up. Can you share your coil size and settings.

It is a lot smaller than I was expecting.

NF 12” Evo  

Special - Fine Gold.

Frequency - tiny and Front End Gain about 3/4 of the way around (these are the 2 dials added by the mods)  

Detector Gain - 1 (right down)  

Stabiliser - 10.

Using a Rooster Booster and a low latency Bluetooth wireless set up.  

Vol limit - 5.

GB type - general.

Motion Medium.

Audio - Normal.

Signal - 20.

Target Vol - 1.

Response - Normal.

Threshold set just at a low hum.  The threshold on these is very different to the GPZ.  When it is a bit lower and right on the cusp of being heard or not, it sort of ‘twangs’ in and out of being heard.  I guess being a dial instead of a digital arrangement like the GPZ is the difference?? 

Sorry, I thought this pic of the front end uploaded yesterday but apparently not 👍

IMG_3834.thumb.jpeg.3b7e2571a0c9d559835636f914b6bbef.jpeg

On 2/13/2024 at 7:46 PM, Gold Ryder said:

Just sent my 5000 to Mick at Detectronics.  Any good advice on settings when it comes home. Sounds like 3oclock is the sweet spot on the gain.  We have pretty easy ground here in Montana in most places but do have some hot spots here and there.   Also with the new level 4 mod sounds like the evo 15" is the go to all around coil. Thoughts?

How much does Mick charge for the modification?

37 minutes ago, noob said:

How much does Mick charge for the modification?

$2000 Australian.  So right now about $1350 US.  But he is on family leave until at least late summer. 

• 2 weeks later...

This was true test of my modded 5000 and gold snitch. Our claims are finally free of snow here in Montana USA. And these were found in ground absolutely pounded by 5000, 6000's.  In fact there were detector holes surrounding both these nuggets and I know I have personally swung over them with my 6000 and never heard them.  The mod is a game changer.

IMG_7675.jpeg