Manticore's Performance In Hawaii

Hello all,

Just got back from vacation from Hawaii and STILL looking at the same three feet of snow in Alaska. I am glad I took my Manticore to Waikiki Beach because the conditions were favorable in the water. I was fortunate enough to find a place where the wind shifted the sand off the coral. This helped me produce, nine rings (two are 14K gold) (one is a really nice opal with diamonds around it), 12 Wheat cents mainly from the 40s, and a ton of modern coinage. 

I am impressed how the Manticore handles in the salt water. To me, it handles better than the Nox 800. Also, my Excal II wouldn't have picked up the necklace but the Manticore produced a nice tone. 

Attached are a few pictures.

Thanks,

John

Rings on Finger Hawaii.jpg

Wheaties and Half Dollar Hawaii.jpg

Rings and Necklace Hawaii.jpg

Spare Change Hawaii.jpg

That is very nice!  

I lived on Maui for acouple of years back in 79-80.  I wish I would have had a metal detector then!

How long was your vacation and how many hours did you manage to get detecting?

Nice haul!

Couple of questions for you. How did you transport the Manti on the plane?

What coil were you using?

I am going to Grand Cayman late next month and am thinking of bringing the Manti.

Cheers!

On 2/19/2024 at 5:47 PM, mn90403 said:

That is very nice!  

I lived on Maui for acouple of years back in 79-80.  I wish I would have had a metal detector then!

How long was your vacation and how many hours did you manage to get detecting?

Hello - I was there for almost two weeks. We did do a lot of sight seeing but I managed to get several hours of detecting in too 🙂

On 2/21/2024 at 5:24 AM, matt said:

That's a great hunt!

Were you detecting with a face mask and snorkel in shallow water or completely underwater?

No sir, no face mask or snorkel. I hunt from the shore to chest deep and do my best at waist deep.

On 2/20/2024 at 11:55 PM, TampaBayBrad said:

Looks like you found the right spot John! Cool that the Mrs. lets you hunt instead of sight-seeing all the time.

I try to have an equal balance. I'll probably get blasted for this response, but Pensacola, Florida has much prettier beaches. Before arriving to Alaska, we were there for nearly four years.

Thinking of wintering next year near Tampa. If so, I'll be sure to look you up for some fun beach detecting 🙂

On 2/20/2024 at 3:39 AM, Yooper said:

Nice haul!

Couple of questions for you. How did you transport the Manti on the plane?

What coil were you using?

I am going to Grand Cayman late next month and am thinking of bringing the Manti.

Cheers!

When flying with my Manticore detector. I always detach the CPU and battery and put it in my carry-on baggage. (I wrap both with bubble wrap to protect it too.) TSA requires Lithium Ion batteries to be taken on board because cabins are pressurized whereas the luggage area is not. Additionally, the flight crew is trained to put out fires in cabins where the belly may go undetected.

It's really quite simple to tear down, just be sure to put the tool in your luggage so you can reassemble and have fun on the beach when you arrive. In my suitcase that goes in the belly, I use my clothes as cushion to protect the shafts, coil, headphones, etc.

I do this all of the time and have never had an issue, nor questioned.

I used the 11-inch stock coil on this trip. Although I do have both the 15-inch coil and the M8 coil, I wanted to keep it simple.

If I was going to Arizona, I'd be looking for meteorites.

(UPDATE: I just reread your post. I thought your text was the Grand Canyon and that's why I posted about the meteorites in Arizona.) I see where you wrote Grand Cayman. LOL

Please let us know how you did in the desert!

John