Total Solar Eclipse

12 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Is no one planning combining some metal detecting along with their eclipse viewing?  Lots of good detecting in the USA Southwest....

My original plan was to go to Crater of Diamonds State Park in Arkansas but they made it very difficult to make reservations and I cancelled those plans.

• Sad 2

If you are still trying to figure out where to go, this might be an interesting destination; there are places where it has been predicted that you’ll actually see two “diamond ring” effects when the sun is just barely obscured by the moon during the start and end of totality caused by a bit of the sun going behind mountains and valleys on the moon itself:

https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/double-diamond-ring?mc_cid=86171aa356&mc_eid=2f844ffc2e

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mitchell, not only do you need to wear eclipse glasses, but you also need to thoroughly line your hat with aluminum foil, plus wear rubber- soled, nonmetallic shoes. And, no howling at the moon. Also, just when the eclipse totals, sing "Take me to the moon". HH Jim 😁

• Haha 5

On 2/21/2024 at 6:25 AM, Badger-NH said:

The landscape and scenery where you will be observing it make a big difference.

...and the weather.   :smile:    That's why the more southerly sections of the path are more popular for this Spring eclipse vs. the 2017 which was in August when clear skies were more likely across the entire path.

The weather forecast will be the thing that determines if I make the trip otherwise I'll just enjoy our local 80% coverage.

• Like 3

I have used a welding helmet with a dark lens which works fine if you have access to one.  

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, MSC said:

I have used a welding helmet with a dark lens which works fine if you have access to one.  

Dark lens is the ticket- at least a #12 - not the auto darkening ones though! 🤩

• Haha 1

Think it was Aug 2017, Annapolis Md...we had a darken afternoon eclipse, not a full but I was out detecting in the water and it was a slow creepy shadow over everything... a look of its own. I just may venture out for this one also. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

Think it was Aug 2017, Annapolis Md...we had a darken afternoon eclipse, not a full but I was out detecting in the water and it was a slow creepy shadow over everything... a look of its own. I just may venture out for this one also. 

You will experience more of this one based on your location.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Latest 2024 solar eclipse updates: Cloud forecast; how to get glasses (usatoday.com) 

I'm having trouble lately with copy and paste of a URL?  Does anyone else notice?

There are going to be lots of clouds for the Eclipse it seems.  It could change my plans.

The website windy.com is an excellent way to track Weather in locations, it uses the same models that storm trackers also use. It’s kind of expensive for the premium version but the free one will let you look ahead three days or so. There’s a cloud setting too in the menu, and unfortunately it’s not looking good for a lot of Texas on Monday. We’re still going but will probably bag it and do something different on our way out there if we see that it’s going to be cloudy.

It’s a long way for us and will be an expensive drive just to watch clouds getting dark. :sad: