No one saw this coming. Look at the market. Everybody throwing models at every nook and granny.

Garrett came out of the blue, in blue, and covered the range at a competitive price, without playing the coil lockout game.

Even if you don’t like it, they changed the game, and you will benefit from it.

What are they going to do? They just put out countless different models, but now there’s a “jump” model the covers the range. Even knocks on the door of the Mighty Manticore without requiring a PhD.

If you take the coil lockout game expense into consideration, it’s probably the best overall value. Do you want to keep buying different models, and maybe coils, or just jump.

Got to give Garrett their props, this is a game changer.

I don’t expect it to be the best at anything, but if it’s good at a lot of things, it ate the heart out of the watermelon.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• The title was changed to Did The Game Change?

I don't know about all that. I do know that people forget that both the Ace and AT series were massive home runs at the time of release. Garrett fans favor solid value and machines that are not overly complicated. The Vortex series seems like an excellent replacement for the aging AT series, one that will be well received by the same people that have always liked Garrett product. The upgrade idea has been around a long time and I think Garrett will get a real positive boost from it once the dust settles and the paranoid types are proven wrong.

High end users on these forums will no doubt keep using what they are using, though some may add a Vortex also. In the longer term I have to think Garrett has a replacement in the works to replace the ridiculously old GTI 2500 as a flagship model, something like the Vortex but with color display, gold mode, etc. Time will tell I guess. But for now I think Garrett will do just fine with the Vortex series as part of their 21st century overhaul.

garrett-vortex-metal-detector-box-vx5-vx7-vx9-display-controls-comparison.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I don't know about all that. I do know that people forget that both the Ace and AT series were massive home runs at the time of release. Garrett fans favor solid value and machines that are not overly complicated. The Vortex series seems like an excellent replacement for the aging AT series, one that will be well received by the same people that have always liked Garrett product. The upgrade idea has been around a long time and I think Garrett will get a real positive boost from it once the dust settles and the paranoid types are proven wrong.

High end users on these forums will no doubt keep using what they are using, though some may add a Vortex also. In the longer term I have to think Garrett has a replacement in the works to replace the ridiculously old GTI 2500 as a flagship model, something like the Vortex but with color display, gold mode, etc. Time will tell I guess. But for now I think Garrett will do just fine with the Vortex series as part of their 21st century overhaul.

garrett-vortex-metal-detector-box-vx5-vx7-vx9-display-controls-comparison.jpg

I concur, Steve.  Garrett targeted the  very muddled detector middle ground and I think they hit it pretty well.  Nokta and Minelab have fallen victim to "multiple model syndrome" - I mean, does anyone know or care what the difference is between their various mid-to-low end models?  Garrett, on the other hand, has offered one model in 3 different flavors, and at a very friendly price point.  Plus they are including their new MD-MF technology.  Whether or not it is really new doesn't matter.  The fact is that they didn't take higher end models and strip them down. 

As I have mentioned before, I prefer the Garrett pod vs. the cell phone on a stick models we see everywhere. The Garrett interface is also much more user friendly than that of other detectors.

Like you, I truly hope Garrett is working on a flagship.  Logically they most likely are.  The started with the Axiom.  Check the gold box. Then the Apex for the ACE line.  Now the Vortex to replace the AT Max.  Next step should be a top end detector.  Maybe all of the White's dreamers will finally get their wish and discover a few V3i features added to their next detector.

I hope to try a Vortex at some point.  A bigger problem for me, being on the West Coast, is that there are too many hunters and not enough targets.  I have plenty of good detectors but I need a few good places to find some stuff in that aren't hammered daily.

Bill

• Like 6

1 hour ago, IBMe said:

If you take the coil lockout game expense into consideration, it’s probably the best overall value.

I don't think it's the best overall value. Taking into account the features, build (shaft), and included accessories, I'd say the X-Terra Elite is better value and the Triple Score even better value.

• Like 2

I wonder what now becomes of the AT series. Obviously they can’t keep charging $759 for an AT Max vs. a VX9 at $599, or can they?

The talk was said more than one time about a program was great on finding small hammered coin and small gold coins. What I’m wondering is just how small that gold can be and how much minerals it can overcome to detect that small gold. I’m not talking about sub grain nuggets but maybe around a gram .

I guess that’s another thing we’ll have to find out for our selves when we buy one.

Chuck 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ☠ Cipher said:

I wonder what now becomes of the AT series. Obviously they can’t keep charging $759 for an AT Max vs. a VX9 at $599, or can they?

May the AT series RIP. They will have to do something but who knows what.

Chuck 

1 minute ago, Ridge Runner said:

May the AT series RIP. They will have to do something but who knows what.

Chuck 

I think they could keep selling them, but eventually they have to recon with the fact that they have competition now in the $250-$300 range and even stiffer competition the higher you go. Single frequency waterproof is not worth what it once was. And there’s no way any thinking person is going to buy an AT Pro or Max over a VX9. 

• Like 2

I believe Garrett has made this step down in price it would be a hard road to get back in the price range they’ve had in the past.

I hope they can continue to carry some important words they carry now and that’s American made.

I’ve already said I’ll buy the Vortex not that I need it but support American made and Garrett at the same time.

Chuck 

PS I got my blue shirt 👕 ready. You may not know this but you need to be color match with your detector when coin hunting. This very important that I can’t express it enough.

• Haha 1