How Often Do You Get Skunked?

Klunker, I think I found that one you left, thanks. 

A skunk day depends on what you are searching for. A speck, a "rattler in the poke", or a patch. My longest was 10 weeks (70+ days) of 10 hour days way back in 1980 when gold was everywhere. I look for patches and a week is common, but then i have days some times weeks and once or twice, months without a a skunk in sight at these patches.

When you are walking for miles down old civil war roads it can happen. But it can pay dividends.

state buttons.jpg

When looking for nuggets in virgin patches, my longest skunk was about 10 days. To add to the frustration, at the time I would get up at 4a.m and drive 300km, detect from 9 a.m to 6p.m and drive back. This went on for a few months… the secret is to remember that we do it for the fun of the adventure 🙂 

These days I prefer to stay a few days camping or even in a hotel. This way I try to dedicate at least one day looking for virgin patches and if I start to become frustrated I go and hit the gold patches, there I usually find something (sometimes nothing).

It’s amazing how, as much as I detect an area I will find a nugget just a few feet from the find I did in the year before. And that is using the same detector (ATX). 

Guessing that there is no-one who hasn't been skunked. But outdoors hunting for gold, even while you may come up empty-handed, you can't lose. There is always something that we bring back when stepping out of our 'everyday' lives and into nature.

Because I live in the LA area and only get day at a time to get out and search, I usually go to known patches. On one hand it's dumb because they're pounded to death, but if I find something I know I'm setting up and using the detector right. If I showed you what I've found in the last two years, you would understand why some of my friends call me Flakemagnet instead of my online handle.

I made this up a couple of decades ago and used to tape it to my coils…I thought about marketing them, but…like most of my marketing ideas, it seemed a little silly. Anyone who wants to use this is welcome. I think it helps 😉

NoSkunk2.jpg.b41c25bfe33a5822afd05efb28f1a61a.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 2