Broken Ear On A Tarsacci Coil

Midalake I wish I could help you but I can’t but I’m sure someone on here can.

I just don’t understand it I’ve been detecting over 55 years now and I’ve yet broken off a ear off any coil over the years. The problem may be the coils have gotten bigger but the coil ears have not been made stronger. You can see on the picture he posted it’s no thicker than on a smaller coil.

Chuck 

2 hours ago, midalake said:

Does anyone know if there is a coil support made for Tarsacci?  Any other thoughts? 

1507a8e9-17bb-40c2-a671-277226a653fb.thumb.JPG.7d705d9fb71a6efc8d3666e93b12510e.JPG

Nope.  I had to send it out to someone I know who had the skill to build up the ear from scratch using epoxy and a special buy of plastic material. It was not easy and it's not yet clear how the repair will hold up to the rigors of water hunting.  Not sure if that person is willing to do it again as it was such a pain.  If you want something that is going to hold up in the water, you are probably looking at a new coil.

I would contact Dimitar, he has always been willing to help if possible.    Otherwise that break should be repairable with marine grade epoxy and a stainless steel reinforcement washer on the outboard side.

7 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Nope.  I had to send it out to someone I know who had the skill to build up the ear from scratch using epoxy and a special buy of plastic material

I think it might be easier to do a print program on a coil support and build it up?  I don't know anyone with that talent. 

1 minute ago, JCR said:

I would contact Dimitar, he has always been willing to help if possible.    Otherwise that break should be repairable with marine grade epoxy and a stainless steel reinforcement washer on the outboard side.

I will contact him.   Stainless steel that close to the coil?

The metal washer will not move relative to the coil so will not cause a false signal. Perhaps you could find or fabricate something out of stiff plastic instead.

midalake,

That stinks.  Do you still have the broken-off piece?  If so, hang onto it, as that could be helpful in a coil ear repair.

Steve

• Thanks 1

yea, if you've got the broken off piece you could just use some Weld on glue to stick some cut to size acrylic on both sides to toughen up the ears and just use a longer bolt/nut.

I use this stuff by Weld-on, it chemically bonds the two plastics together so they become one, so not a glue as such more of a solvent cement.

Weldon Acrylic Glue - Cambrian Plastics

Weldon Acrylic Glue (SCIGRIP 16) is especially formulated to bond acrylic (poly-methyl methacrylate) plastics. It can also be used for bonding styrene, butyrate, PVC, ABS and polycarbonate, as well as other plastics and porous surfaces.

SCIGRIP 16 is a very high strength, clear, medium bodied, fast curing, solvent-type acrylic cement. Applied to cast, molded or extruded acrylics, it will affect initial bonds very quickly so some parts may be handled within a few minutes. Bond strength continues to develop very rapidly reaching a substantial level and forming strong joints within hours. This product may be thinned with SCIGRIP 3 by approximately 10%. Initial bond forms very quickly so some parts may be handled within a few minutes of application. Joints are water and weather resistant and will generally have similar physical and chemical properties to acrylic plastic.

3 years ago i had a brand new reaper coil behind by seat in my truck,i stoped to give a guy a ride who had a motorcycle problem he got in slide the seat back crushed the ears right off.I ended up cutting the ears off flush to the coil then cut 2 90 degree pieces out of a heavy duty plastic electrical outlet box glued them down with Jb weld  put the coil bolt through to let it dry in place .A day later it was dry and i've been beating it through the ocean ever since

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 1