Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

Reports Of GM1000 5" Coil Touch Sensitivity

I have been securing the cable to to the lower shaft since the Fisher T10 days and I haven't had any trouble with Gm1000.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Yes a brand new detector and the same issue if you bump the coil or coil cable it sounds off!!

Its beyond Frustrating! obviously if your detecting on nice flat ground with no obstacles or bumps I'm sure it's fine, but let's face it how often would anyone be using the 5 inch coil for detecting on flat open ground!  This size coil is made for getting in those hard to get to places that bigger coils can't get into.

Is there any solution for this coil ? eg a recall ?? 

Exspecily since it's not an isolated issue!!

Cheers

There is nothing official. Bill Southern has inquired with Minelab directly but so far reports no response. I started this this thread in an attempt to get a handle on the issue - how real is it and how widespread? You have people reporting no issue and people reporting severe issues and some in between. My unit is relatively knock immune, only getting there at manual sensitivity of 9 and 10. Since I am normally running sensitivity 6 - 7 - 8 or one of the auto settings I am not normally encountering it as a problem. I get no sensitivity to touching grass also and others report this as being an issue.

The GM1000 also lights up hot rocks as you run over the ground at high sensitivity levels in a way that mimics touch sensitivity, and I am not sure how much of what is being reported as touch sensitivity is this instead. The bottom line is I think this is still in a "collecting information" stage at most.

• Like 1

I'm rich! With the sensitivity set at 9 in my back yard it shows it's covered in gold. If I put it on auto sen. I'm back in the poor house. Now this is with the big coil and no dog leg on the cable coming out the coil'

I went out to do some testing with about a 1/2 gram nugget. One thing I found out was if I got say three inches away from the nugget the ID bar won't show anything. That's with the sen. set at three like i said but you can hear the signal good. The sen. bar comes alive when the coil is about a 1 1/2 away. You may have known this but it's new to me that you could hear it good but come up short on the sen.bar. I forgot to say that with the auto sen. I got the same results.

We may not have much gold in Texas but we got all the water you could want right now I have a daughter lives in Houston and her street is like a river but she's on high ground so far.

The best to All

Chuck

• Thanks 1

I played around with the settings to see if anything made a difference but in all reality we shouldn't have to do this regardless,

And after I played around with everything I did find a setting where it didn't false at all but unfortunately this was when it was turned off! So not much use to me lol.

But let's face it minelab makes great detectors and the best gold machines around! and nobody's perfect we all make mistakes from time to time, and yes if it was just the very odd machine that had a problem it's wouldn't be a huge issue , but I believe this is a bit more wide spread then that but I'm sure minelab will find a way to rectify this issue and keep there loyal customers happy.  

Anyway like Bill I'm eagerly awaiting a reply back from minelab!, I just hope anyone else with this issue also contacts minelab so we can get it quickly addressed and sorted out so I can use my machine again very soon!.

Cheers Hoggy 

In using my GM 1000 with the larger coil, I am finding that when I turn it on cold, its fine, but after a few hours use, every touch on the coil, no matter how slight, is a false sound, so at that point it must be held far enough above the ground that it wont possibly touch anything, which means I am holding it so high that I am losing significant depth. As I am hunting areas with lots of stacked rock, so its an issue. At that point it's not long and I am switching to the SDC or the GPZ.

I have tied down the coil wire very carefully with multiple velcro ties, so its not the wire moving. Turning down the gain does help a little, but it does not eliminate the problem. Besides, if the ground is mild, I should not need to turn the gain way down to 4 - 5 because of bad bump falsing. I plan on fiddling with it some more and I would like to remove the coil cover to see if anything has gotten in there, but if more fiddling does not resolve the issue, then yes, I will contact ML.

Steve pointed out it is not a universal problem, so it may be some spotty manufacturing quality issue.

• Like 1

Another Email sent last night and another one first thing this morning without response, so I contacted them by phone 3 times today and got a response this arvo not exactly the response I was after as it's not an actual fix to the issue but just replacing the entire machine. 

So I guess we'll see what happens with the new machine.