Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

Ga-10 Guide Arm Question

I have been free swinging the zed my last couple of outings with the 14 but I am going back to the strap and going to try the hip stick the next outing. Thanks for brining up this subject.

I was much younger when I got my ZED.  I used the Pro Swing harness and bungee but carried my pick on my shoulder with my right hand, thus preventing me from using the swing arm. While having my pick with two very strong magnets on my pick, I found that the magnets were reprogramming my hearing aids. My pick has a very long handle and I used it as a walking stick on steep and rough ground. I shortened the handle on my pick enough to carry on my belt which solved the problems with the hearing aids and I could still access my pick if needed for support. Then I tried the swing arm. The difference in coil control and sharing the load with your other arm is amazing. I highly recommend using it.

76 and still swinging the ZED  Norm

• Like 9

There is a guy in the High Sierras that has found gold that I only dream about...he uses nothing... no harness and no guide arm and he's not that big a fellow either and older then I am.....I used to think I was though.. I use bot the harness and the guide arm and find detecting very relaxing using these aids.

strick 

Well it looks like I created just as many questions as I left answers.

So to sum up my experience. When I bought the  gpz I already knew it was a heavy detector. Knowing that I figured the swing arm would add unneeded weight . The decision resulted in the shoulder pain and after discussing it with others I learned that most people use the swing arm. So I attached it and had to deal with the damage. It definatly helps distribute the weight and increases your control. I still rotate from left to right side detecting during the day . This helps prevent my shoulder pain from returning.

• Like 1

Hey DZ, 

As you probably read I have also used the hip stick the last few months. I tried Steve's trick yesterday of just attaching the bungy straight to the d clip on my pack.  It actually worked quite well considering I only wear a Camel Bak type pack.  With a back pack a little more substantial it would have been fine for the up and down mullock heap, frequent disconnect type hunting I was doing with only a bit of weight being felt at my shoulder.  

For a long day and flatter ground I will still use the hip stick as it places all the weight at your hip and really makes the Z easier to swing.  

Good luck with however you choose to swing the Z.   :wink:

I am just wondering what you all did with your picks?   Did you grow third arms?  :biggrin:    I like the Guide Arm, but then the only place to put the pick is on your hip.  I do not like having to have a big chunk of metal on my hip.   Some say they do not notice it, but I do. 

For a backpack I use the Camelback and the hip stick.  This way I always have water with me.

If I could find a good way to use the Guide Arm, I would do it, just to save my shoulder.

Interesting, JW.  Sometimes I put it through the top loop of my water pack (meant to be a handle).  This still isn't very ergonomic, though.  I am thinking some sort of shoulder sling with a loop on it would work well.