Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

Equinox Ergonomics - The Challenge

4 hours ago, Ringmoney said:

No they should of made the decision on the laws of physics/ergonomics. The S type with separate handle is best ergonomically over the straight or classic s types, and its not just my opinion, its fact. I know weight distribution can make any shaft design feel unbalanced and thus un-ergonomic, but why not just start out with the proven design in the first place???

I'm having trouble following the logic, earlier you said it was aesthetics (looks, subjective feelings) not ergonomics now you are saying just the opposite, it's now a "law of physics".  Since I don't really have a dog in the hunt as I could go either way, I am going to bow out of this whole shaft thing because it is getting exhausting running around in circles.  Thanks.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

I'm having trouble following the logic, earlier you said it was aesthetics (looks, subjective feelings) not ergonomics now you are saying just the opposite, it's now a "law of physics".  Since I don't really have a dog in the hunt as I could go either way, I am going to bow out of this whole shaft thing because it is getting exhausting running around in circles.  Thanks.

I couldn't be assed either to be honest :laugh:

• 3 weeks later...

Geeeeez I feel like I am in heaven with my Equinox looking down on all the people with issues of likes  and dislikes about it . After raring kids in this crazy world nothing bugs or annoys me anymore. ??

PS . I❤️ It Mr Minelab 

• Like 1

The ergonomic argument against the straight shaft is based on the fact that if you look at a straight shaft detector set-up from the side, then draw a line from the inside bottom of the arm cup through the center of the handle, that line projects out to a point well above (in front of) the junction of the shaft with the coil.  This results in torque (twisting) when you initiate or reverse a swing with the coil.  This force must be resisted by your body.  It also introduces twisting strains on the handle mount and the joints in the rod. Here’s a quick and dirty sketch.D2A336AD-35E3-4BB8-99F4-F5DA3A38E899.thumb.jpeg.f18350d45f1bc3b70b3ea3c30752a8dd.jpeg

People who use detectors in the water have been converting from S shafts to straight shafts for years. If the Equinox was a S shaft you would have just as many complaints if not more. Go figure.

So four pages and a few more complaints, but not a single person has been able to name just one waterproof detector of comparable performance that has better ergonomics. Apparently and as usual Minelab takes heat for not being better than they are when everyone else is at a minimum no better and in most cases are demonstrably much worse. And no, detectors that are not waterproof do not count because removing the waterproof requirement removes a major engineering obstacle as regards ergonomics.

waterproof-metal-detector-roundup-chart-

• Like 4

...the direct rod if it is well balanced - it can not make a problem when it detects .. on the contrary - it can make the detector simple,solid, light and compact..-mi personal  carbon tuning my detectors...-better balanced,solid  and smaller weight..

Marec 4 2018 EQ carbon 007_DxO.jpg

sony sola 1073 (600 x 337).jpg

For me personally I prefer the ergos of my Multi Kruzer over my Nox 800, but that's because I mostly use a 5X9.5" or 7" round concentric on it. I'm pretty sure that the 800 will feel better in 2019 when the smaller coil becomes available for it. ?

• Like 2