Deus 2 13x11 Coil

zdsdead

3 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

there have been some complaints about the offset but you really learn to appreciate

The offset coil is a nightmare for a beach hunter. Would there be anything wrong with extending your lower rod? Gives you more coverage on your swing too! 😊

There is a person who thinks he is a good beach hunter on Youtube and I watch his swing sweep with about a maximum of 3' in total. I just laugh! 

Not sure why people are so obsessed swinging at their feet? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, midalake said:

The offset coil is a nightmare for a beach hunter. Would there be anything wrong with extending your lower rod? Gives you more coverage on your swing too! 😊

There is a person who thinks he is a good beach hunter on Youtube and I watch his swing sweep with about a maximum of 3' in total. I just laugh! 

Not sure why people are so obsessed swinging at their feet? 

I think it's a balance thing. If you shorten the lower rod on any detector and swing closer to your feet, it offsets nose-heavy balance somewhat. Personally I like an extended lower rod for wider sweeps, that's one reason I like the 9" coil so much. But I still need to get a bigger coil for my arsenal and keep bouncing back and forth between the 11" or 13" coils. I may end up with all 3 coils at some point, but if I make it to a beach or some large fields this year, I'd like the extra coverage. Now if a 9x5" Relic Hunter coil magically appears, that could change the whole ball game. 😏 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, midalake said:

The offset coil is a nightmare for a beach hunter.

Maybe the offset coil is a nightmare for you as a beach hunter, but I will say for certain that after many hours using it in fields, it certainly isn't a detriment. Maybe you should consider another option?

I run sensitivity high, and it detected the brass rivets in my knee pad. Switched to Velcro knee pad, problem solved. I've also used it some on the beach and don't have any issue with it, again I appreciate the extra reach so I can keep the balance in the shaft to lessen arm fatigue. Maybe there is something wrong with how you are using it. I'm sad that you are so disappointed and cynical, but it's not a justification to put others off.

Soon I will be on the beach for quite a few weeks over the warm season, and don't expect there to be any problem, but y'all will be first to know. 🙄 I also had no issues river hunting with it. None, even in waves and current.

Additionally, it was much more of a problem when it was centered using a centering device. No amount of extension helped it.

At 2 to 4 days a week, 4 to 7 hours a day, over the past year with the D2, I probably have over 1200 hours on it. I've had the 13" for months now, being one of the first to get it. I'm pretty sure there is nothing wrong with my technique, and I certainly have the finds to show for it. 🙂

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

Additionally, it was much more of a problem when it was centered using a centering device. No amount of extension helped it.

:huh:  this is a simple math equation!
What is the difference between a coil mount that is 1.5 inches off-center AND
  a lower rod that is extended 1.5 inches further with a center mount coil?  

2 minutes ago, midalake said:

:huh:  this is a simple math equation!
What is the difference between a coil mount that is 1.5 inches off-center AND
  a lower rod that is extended 1.5 inches further with a center mount coil?  

Dunno, I'm 6'1. Maybe that has something to do with it.

ive been swinging the 13" coil on the beach with no problems, it actually responds and acts very similar to the 9" coil. 

i noticed that the coil ears on the 13" do not have the notch pattern that doesnt allow that plastic spacer to spin (its just fully round)... my 9" coil does have the notch pattern so it cant spin.

also noticed the left side of the 13" coil BARELY has the slats to hold the bolt head in place. where as the 9" has a great bolt head holder.

not sure if these are by design or just poor quality control?

On 3/20/2023 at 9:18 AM, Cheddar said:

ive been swinging the 13" coil on the beach with no problems, it actually responds and acts very similar to the 9" coil. 

i noticed that the coil ears on the 13" do not have the notch pattern that doesnt allow that plastic spacer to spin (its just fully round)... my 9" coil does have the notch pattern so it cant spin.

also noticed the left side of the 13" coil BARELY has the slats to hold the bolt head in place. where as the 9" has a great bolt head holder.

not sure if these are by design or just poor quality control?

That's interesting, Cheddar, has that caused any problems with the 13" coil, like the bolt loosening or anything like that?

When I installed the CF lower shaft hack on my D2 shaft, I noticed it had just round holes too, but my 9" coil holds firm with no propblems at all, but it does have a firm grip on the bolt head, so I guess that's all it needs.

I wonder if any other 13" coil owners have noticed any problems with their coils bolts?

On 3/21/2023 at 8:21 PM, CPT_GhostLight said:

That's interesting, Cheddar, has that caused any problems with the 13" coil, like the bolt loosening or anything like that?

When I installed the CF lower shaft hack on my D2 shaft, I noticed it had just round holes too, but my 9" coil holds firm with no propblems at all, but it does have a firm grip on the bolt head, so I guess that's all it needs.

I wonder if any other 13" coil owners have noticed any problems with their coils bolts?

no issues with performance. looking at all the photos i could find online it looks to be just how they make them.

makes you wonder why they make them differently than the other coils?

• Like 1

I have snapped one bolt so far with the 13", I like to keep the coil tight so it doesn't flop around. Can't seem to do that with the SteveG CF shaft, probably the second washer on the plug side, and possibly because it allows the plug to rotate. Whatever, bolts are cheap. 😀