Does anybody know why a gravel bar in a creek on Google Earth would show as Pink instead of black and white? This is in central Indiana, not much in colored rocks or mineral deposits in the area. It is a glacial gold area and with copper nuggets but they don't show up on aerial maps. I did spot a large gray clay stream bank on another creek which had alternating layers of red and gray just above the creek line like an ice cream cake. Too bad its owned by the state and they refuse to let us prospect there. It is a known gold creek too.

It cannot be seen without Google Earth and a Historical Imagery view of the woods taken March 30 ,2005, otherwise tree cover blocks the view on both of these creeks.

What's the best color laser printer for around $300 for aerial map prints?

-Tom V.

Don’t know on all counts Tom. Did you ever hike in and find out?

Its all private property so can't just hike in plus its 150 miles away. Plus its deer hunting season so kinda dangerous to be out prospecting for now.

I need to get my butt off my chair and go check a creek I map dowsed about 60 miles away.

Sure would be nice if it is a gold creek and so close to home. About a dozen farm ditches come together right before there and the resulting creek is like 40 feet wide with fast water, gravel, and bedrock areas. But there are 4 land owners to deal with. It is an old coal mining area and world famous iron concretion fossils just 20 miles away where Joe Public is allowed to collect but NOT dig for these things. Sposed to be ferns, amphibians, and such in these concretions mainly at Pit number 11 of the old strip mining area I hear. I did get a few colors in a creek 5 miles away.

I just got a new triangular shaped alluvial sluice from a seller in Surprise,Arizona to try out too.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By phrunt
      I am very prone to getting lost and it's hindered my gold detecting quite significantly so I've been trying to find a really good solution to my problem, I've tried various GPS mapping software but not found anything that really suited my possibly unique needs.  I'm planning a gold prospecting trip to a spot I've been before with Kiwijw a couple of times and had some pretty good success there, especially Kiwijw with his gold finds so I've been wanting to go back for some time but been a bit hesitant to go alone.
      What I've been wanting is software that tracks my steps and lets me follow them back so I can make my way back to my car.
      Today It appears I've found what I need, Alpine Quest for Android
      http://www.alpinequest.net/
      It has a feature "Track your path" which is perfect for me.  http://www.alpinequest.net/en/help/v2/tracker
      It has a free trial so I plan to give it a shot and hope for the best.  If it works I'll be able to go anywhere knowing I'll find my way back..  I'll keep you updated.

• By Andy2640
      ..........    The Ordnance Survey TRAIL 
      Here's what i found:
      1. Software is utter useless tosh! Error messages, jerky movements, sluggish. Im tech savvy - But this thing takes a computer programmer to operate. 
      2. The touch screen doesnt react. There made to last and take knocks, but still you cant move the screen to look at your maps.
      3. Mine turned up faulty with rubber joystick not allowing me to look left. 
      4. Price is stupendously high for a piece of poo.
      5. Signal takes an age and a half to lock on.  
      6. WIFI takes an age to sync, other times it never will. (That was the last straw).
      7. Compass is the worst i have ever used.  Never, even after calibration does it show a true heading.  Spoke to customer service and they said there not too reliable.  Hang on .....  Dont I rely on the compass to find my way around on foot??  He sounded confused ...  and again this was the last straw.

And so......

I now have the Garmin Montana 680.   AND ..... Its bloody brilliant.  Review to follow 😉 

Andy.

• By rexhavoc
      My "Old Faithful" Garmin GPSMap 60CSx appears to be reaching the end of its serviceable life, after years of being dropped on rocks,  bikes, down slopes, drenched, fallen into rivers, taped onto dogs, and being the point of contact on its bike mount between Terra Firma and myself head over heels on my mountain bike. Starting to malfunction a tad if you can believe it!  Can't say enough good about it  - some of the best money I ever spent bar none :)
      I do a ton of work with Google Earth plotting targets, claims and such. My stompin' grounds are devoid of cellular data, so any device that is DetectorProspector approved and might have some capabilities for satellite imagery, overlays - I would really appreciate guidance.
      rex

• By PG-Prospecting
      Ive attached a lidar map of the main area i prospect.  Id like to get peoples knee-jerk reactions on where they would swing a detector knowing large nuggets (they have generally been very crystalline with a few specimens found) have been found in the creek.  So what would be your number 1, 2, and 3 spots to focus on.  Ive detected around a good bit and have yet find anything outside of the creek, but i want to see if im missing something obvious. lol  

Search Area 1.pdf
    • By Azavsfan
      Really 2 topics here. I am interested in what kind of boots you folks use while detecting. I prefer metal free and currently use a pair of Keens but the sole is already starting to delaminate and they have less than 60 hours out and about. I know they are good about replacing them, or so I have heard, but I would really like something that will hold up reasonably well and won't give me that falsing that can happen when I forget about metal in boots. I ran into a Border Patrol agent who said he uses a boot called Vibram Rocky that has no metal and stands up to the terrain down here in Yuma by Sea (sorry Condor, I can't resist repeating your catch phrase). Comments or new ideas?
      2nd question is about a standalone GPS unit that folks use. I have an old Etrex but would like something a little newer and if possible it will accept Google Earth images/KML files so I don't have to try to redo all the points I have saved to my places and the special MRDS and other KML layers I've accumulated.
      Any info is appreciated and I know from experience that somebody out there is bound to learn something from these topics besides myself. Thanks in advance.
    • By watermain
      I didn't find any results when I searched. I'm looking for some advice on a good hand-held GPS to use when prospecting. Is there such a thing as one that is easy to use and easy to connect to a computer? Thanks for helping a novice.