Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

Is Beach Detecting Just Easier?

Mitch,

I’ve known you for several years and have swung a coil or two within shouting range and have had you on hot nugget dirt.  Coil speed is the most important and then having your coil height either on the ground or no more than a inch above the ground constantly.  From Yuma to Rye Patch, slow and low on them old patches.  But, when I’m on new ground I’m at in fast past if the trash will let me.  But, my coil will remain low on these searches for that one Duck Nugget.  That one nugget, will change my gear back into Low and Slow.  You know where the old patches are at Rye Patch and many other patches throughout the Western States.  Sometimes you have to think outside the box of what others may not have done or detected to find gold.  Your in the right places and have the right equipment, the rest is all Mental.  Constantly, changing your settings doesn’t help you learn that 7000.  Stick with one or two settings and learn their sounds.  Them old patch nuggets won’t sound like a Duck nugget, it maybe just the smallest change in your Threshold.  If your out with other hunters, let them have you run your coil over their targets.  Finding your best settings for your ears is most important on undisturbed targets!  I think I have a couple marked on my 7000 GPS, I’ll send coordinates to you.  Don’t dig them, just tune your machine and remember the sounds...never know when I might need some gas money!  Good Luck

LuckyLundy

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 3/9/2020 at 10:51 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

I do also have an ear for whisper signals, what I call imaginary signals. The ones where I go a foot or two before my brain says "was that a signal?" and back up and check.

Mitchel,  I have to agree with some of the comments mentioned too.

I also feel you have tuned the beach hunt (so much closer to you and 10X times more hunting than gold hunts) to your main focus.  As said by a few, the beach hunting style is so much different than swinging a 7000.  I have not hunted a beach with you yet, but know ground coverage is a big part of beach hunting.  I say it in reverse when chasing a nugget for most sites.  It is not how much ground you cover, but finding an old patch and covering that same ground (much smaller area too) very methodically, and slow.

Why is it that I can take a dink nugget and toss it in front of a new customer in a 10 foot square and they see it hit the ground, but can not hear it with their detector?  If I took a ring and tossed it 50 feet down the side of a beach, I know you would find it.  Your ear, mind and thoughts have been trained to listen for beach type targets on a pretty smooth (for the most part) surface.

In order for someone to find that little dink in a 10 foot area, they need to keep the coil scraping the ground (making more unwanted noise), overlap at least 20 to 30%, have perfect coil control, swing really slow and be willing to investigate any slight change of threshold.  So you think you did in fact find the target??? Now try to pinpoint and then get that dang little bugger in the plastic scoop.  I've watched customers spend 15 minutes on 1 BB signal.  I've even found a target, gotten it in the scoop and then tossed it back down, as I did not think it was in the scoop?  Ears my friend and then some luck.

I travel quite a bit and detect most everywhere and have been for many years.  Ancient Coins/Artifacts in England, Civil War sites back East, beaches all over the world, old coin and relics out west and gold nugget hunts where-ever there is gold.  Gold Nugget Hunting is by far much harder and takes the most patience of all, in my opinion.

Good post BTW.

• Like 5

Well, as the results of events and circumstances mostly out of my control and seeing my young 2 year old son throw some tantrums just because I won't follow him to his room I've come to the conclusion that impatience may be my biggest liability when it comes to nugget hunting.  I'm going to make a sincere effort in the future to patiently hunt a location for a couple of hours and if I don't like it then patiently go hunt another location!  haha

I think it is possible to detect with patience and not spend all day in one bad spot.  The attitude of patience can be used cruising or gridding if I'm not anxious.

• Like 1

Well Mitchell, you did seem to rush all over the place when you were down here. But I guess that is understandable when you only have limited time.

• Like 1

Reg, when I was there I hunted at least 3 days in each area I went to.  Some days I drove back to Bendigo to stay because my hotels were there but I got out early enough to be detecting within an hour of sunrise.

The last days I was with Adam I followed his schedule and it was not much different than mine had been until we met up.

You may not know but I went back one day with that map you made for me and spent that day detecting there even tho I spent the night in Maryborough.  That first day you dropped me off it was wet and I was still jet lagged.  It was a beautiful day when I went back.  I avoided a couple of other detectorists while there.

Where I should have gone was above the parking area rather than below as you told me on my exit trip.

I'll have a beach post tomorrow.  Just an odd thing I found in the dry sand.  Nothing much is being brought up with lack of wave energy.

I'm in a holding pattern on gold hunting.  There is a slight chance I could go out this Friday and swing for a couple of hours for nuggets.

Well Mitchell, some don't seem to have the 'luck' and others have been 'kissed on the member by a fairy'.

There always will be some who could fall into a tank full of breasts, and come up sucking their thumb.

• Haha 6

Reg, I'm sure most of us haven't thought about it in just that way…you have a way with words. Your humor is appreciated along with some arresting mental images...:laugh:

• Like 1