Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

Minelab GPX 6000 Full Reveal In February 2021?

Not sure how excited I am about this release unless they make the machine considerably lighter--I'm with Steve on that issue--but of course I'll have a look at it when it comes out to see exactly what any serious advantages might be.

I'm fast falling in love with using the new generation of lightweight VLF's to first check the ground, then unlimber the heavy Minelab to get the deeper stuff afterward, but I'm not in love with swinging a heavy beast all day just because. In fact, if the competition comes out with a great new machine that's going to be close to or equal to what the 6000 supposedly will do, I'm seriously considering that as a go-to option.

All the best,

Lanny

• Like 6

Certainly the lightweight Equinox has increased the fun in detecting for me.

I spoke to a senior person in Minelab about 16 months ago - I'm sure they have the message loud and clear with regards to the weight issue of the GPZ from their market surveys, so i would be very surprised if the GPX6000 is a heavy weight.

I suppose Im biased towards Minelab as their head office is about 10 minutes from my place - any repairs i can just drop  off and pick up in a few days so it is very convenient for me. They are having great success (and profits) at the moment so I  think their business model of continuously plowing back a percentage of profits into R&D is going to see continuing innovations.

The reason the 7000 weighs as much as it does and looks like it does is because ML built a machine to the specifications of what detectorists asked for on the majority of forums.

Battery on the machine, screen, wireless, GPS etc etc… they even told them what they were willing to pay for it. 

We get exactly what we ask for then complain because they listened and delivered, and we also still accuse them of not listening??

Despite its weight and ergonomics, it's a brilliant machine and you adapt as you do with any machine. I myself have no problems swinging it all day, day in and day out.

Sometimes though I think I must be the only bloke on the planet who didn't mind the GPX platform with a battery on the back and being attached with a battery cable.

• Like 1

I feel like the GPZ with the 8" is perfectly balanced with the shaft extended fully, and it makes swinging it without the bungee a breeze. It's still a heavy machine, but I forget it is because the balance makes swinging it so much less stressful on my elbow and forearm. I haven't made it to the goldfields yet for heavy usage, but doing some tests it feels right.

I hope Minelab understands this and updated any and all new designs for proper balance incoporating the GPZ style case. I believe that you can have a heavier machine still be usable with no complaints as long as the balance is proper or at least close. It's when it gets really nose heavy, a user can stress out there elbow and arm due to the balance problem which they attempt to alleviate with the swing arm, harness, J strut, etc.

But really, Minelab just needed a lighter coil...literally, that's all.

So like Simon says, I believe Minelab would go far by just putting some time into coil development too. For future models, hopefully including this GPX 6000 and whatever comes next.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, phrunt said:

I can easily swing the GPZ for the day without a problem with it's weight

You're a relatively young gent. Wait awhile…that machine is too heavy for the majority of people.
Also, and I don't expect you to believe me (which is fine), but the way to be able to lug that detector over 
the kinds of terrain you cover is to start using a HipStick now. Don't wait til it hurts.

Best wishes...

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, flakmagnet said:

but the way to be able to lug that detector over 
the kinds of terrain you cover is to start using a HipStick now. Don't wait til it hurts.

AMEN! I just started to use the hipstick very recently, used the ML ProSwing before. A few weeks in and I can't imagine ever being without it anymore. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, madtuna said:

make one.  I mean before I get my butt chewed...make something similar.

I would only hope that if one day, when you invent something successful that you don't have someone
make that kind of suggestion. I actually know first hand how much effort went into designing and making  it and how difficult it was getting it out to customers. Chewing done.

• Like 2