Detailed Review Of Makro Gold Racer By Steve Herschbach

The screen layout is fabulously better than on the prototypes, which were like the original Racer. And that itself was good. The new screen was needed though for all the extra functions.

The new handle is a toss up, for some it will be better, some not as much. New coil ears much beefier.

Except for a tot lot outing have not been detecting but noted no performance differences. Hope to do more jewelry detecting soon now that snow melted in Reno.

Prior to getting the Gold Racer I had a GMT, Gold Bug 2, and Gold Bug Pro. All three were sold when I got the first prototype Gold Racer and I have not regretted it. I am not saying the Gold Racer is better than those detectors and people looking for magical solutions in ancient VLF technology will inevitably be disappointed. The Gold Bug 2 with 6" coil may still have the slightest of edges on tiny gold but not enough to be evident without doing some hair splitting. I would be curious to hear someday from anyone able to put the Gold Racer head to head against a GMT in really hot ground. It is not worth my getting another GMT to find out personally.

For me I just need a light weight compact hot VLF to back up my GPZ 7000 for the tiny gold it can't find or trashy areas I do not want to tackle with it. All in all the Makro version of vanilla suits me better than the Fisher or White's versions of vanilla for my particular purpose. The Gold Racer I can't help but think is what White's could have done with the GMT if they had not stuck with an old design for so long. Maybe that will change now that White's seems to be waking from a long slumber. The kicker finally was that large coil which is ideal for hunting big trashy cobble piles. The GMT and GB2 have no option like that so the Gold Racer just won for me with overall versatility. Performance questions as a whole will not be answered until many more people are able to get out in the field and do their own comparisons and reports. Like all things VLF it just depends on the ground and coil combo plus operator and I would expect the Gold Bug 2, GMT, and Gold Racer variously to each have a tiny edge under any given set of circumstances.

Pretty much final word in that subject based on that last statement - if you already have a Gold Bug 2 or GMT and are happy with it, no need to ditch them to get a Gold Racer per se. If you do not have a very hot VLF and want one, these three are the options, and all I can say is for right now the Gold Racer puts a serious hurt on the GMT as an option. The Gold Bug 2 still has the hip and chest mount features, no nonsense iron reject, and best little coil ever made, so wins points there. The GMT I struggle to find reasons why anyone would want to buy one over a Gold Racer given the pricing, feature set of both machines, and clunky GMT box. Time for White's to redo the GMT as a serious nugget prospecting VLF instead of a nugget detector stuck in a coin detector box. That bad decision made by White's with the GM4/B still haunts the machine.

SS; I have found the perfect spot to try it out. The snow line will have to stay above 4200' and you will have to wear a blindfold there and back. Let me know how your schedule looks when the weather breaks.

Maybe Bearkat would come film the adventure for us.

• Like 2

OK. Did you get my email? A short video of our last adventure. Don't think this storm will do much. I will wear the blindfold. But will video the whole ride with the go pro. OK ?

I have a backup GoPro---- and a blindfold too---- and if I cant go then he cant....waaaaaaaagh,.........and i have the BIG coil!!!!!!!! :D

• Like 2

OK-OK Paul, you can go too. But as this spot has a few "minor" draw backs please bring your emergency locator. It makes it much easier to find the grisly remains.

I am very curious about the Gold Racer performance against the 7000 on exposed bedrock with VERY small gold (where depth isn't a big issue, but accurate discrimination is).