A Few Coins From The Past Couple Weeks

I work at what used to be an old resort.  Originally there was a 100 acre lake here but the dam got washed out in a flood back in the early 20th century.  I found an old roadway that goes back to where the old earthen dam broke.  On the way back there I got a solid 64 on the d2.  Expecting another shotgun headstamp I dig down about 5-6” and see a green disk.  Turns out it’s my nicest V nickel, a 1907.  That got my hopes up and a little further on I got a high 80s tid and out pops a wheatie.  When I got to the old remnants of the damn I turned around and detected back along the other side of the road/pathway.  Before long I got a low 80s tid and out comes an 1896 Indian head penny.  The rest of the way back all I found were headstamps, 22 shells and some old pistol casings.  I also found a couple of modern copper memorials.  

Hoping for silver I hit the same road again on the weekend.  Nothing but headstamps and pistol shells.  

This past weekend I hit it again hoping that maybe I missed something.  On the way in I got more headstamps, .22 shells and some small centerfire pistol shells.  On the way back more headstamps, but no coins.  

Not to be one who gives up easily, I hit the trail once again Monday after work.  On the way in I got maybe 2 headstamps and that was from wandering off the path slightly into the woods.  I did get teased with a high 80s but it was a small 4 hole button.  On the way back about the same, a couple more headstamps until about 100 yards from where I was parked I got a really strong, nice 95/96.  Thinking this is a clad quarter I dig down only about 2-3 “ and I see shiny!   Out pops a 1963 quarter!   Not as old as I wanted but I’ll take it for #34 for the year.  

57BA8048-DB27-47FB-97A0-95B2D1636A47.jpeg

4163F3DF-CFEA-46F5-98CC-73F5FD7E7833.jpeg

446222F9-B3A4-4EEB-9DB1-4E5F40D31B21.jpeg

B264849E-1B39-450B-A8B1-81E6450DC862.jpeg

C5FF5C7E-7434-4B3D-AD22-33252095ABD8.jpeg

AC2FF196-D316-4D02-83A7-4C3FFAAE3200.jpeg

F022EB45-F12E-40CF-BF0C-ED443117514E.jpeg

That is a really nice V Nickel & IHP.  Evidently that old path saw a lot of use long ago. There should be some areas along the way where people would have had a picnic & such. Higher ground or nice level area beside/overlooking the path. There would have been a lot of fishing done around the dam also. Neat place.  I use that same Nomad shovel alot. It is a great all around tool.

Great hunting. The V nickel is in great shape. Your going to check out the woods.

6 minutes ago, JCR said:

That is a really nice V Nickel & IHP.  Evidently that old path saw a lot of use long ago. There should be some areas along the way where people would have had a picnic & such. Higher ground or nice level area beside/overlooking the path. There would have been a lot of fishing done around the dam also. Neat place.  I use that same Nomad shovel alot. It is a great all around tool.

I’ve only ventured a little off the actual path.  The property line is just to the left of the path as you walk in.  On that property is a fairly big house that was built in 1840 so I’m hoping for some older 19th century coins.  Anyways, I’ve got a lot of area to explore this winter.  

2 minutes ago, Rick N. MI said:

Great hunting. The V nickel is in great shape. Your going to check out the woods.

Yeah I’ll be checking the woods this winter.  

I checked  my V nickel collection and I think this one makes 8 that I’ve found and this one is by far the nicest.  And it’s only the second one that has a green patina to it. 

4 minutes ago, fogrider said:

Your detector is well set-up for coin hunting, judging by your variety of finds.

That V nickel is beautiful.

I was using program 3 (sensitive full tones), varying the reactivity from 1.5-2.5 and sensitivity at 95.  I like sensitive FT for woods hunting because it uses no disc.  

That's one of the nicer V nickels I've seen. 👍 all mine are worn or corroded almost beyond recognition. 😵 A silver quarter as well. Nice hunt(s) and great photos.