What Type Of Knee Guard That You Use, If Any

40 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

It seems like the answers coming in are not answering the original question asked.

There are two issues here that need be addressed. Is it a question of comfort when kneeling or instability of the knee, or some combination of both? An ACL tear leads to lateral instability that requires some level of splinting on the medial (inside) aspect of the knee, and even if repaired can be unstable for a long time after the injury. These things heal slow and imperfectly, especially without proper physical therapy.

It sometimes takes a bit of experimentation to find what works. The neoprene braces will slip on under clothing, and be comfortable but can be quite warm. Simple Ace wraps can also be enough sometimes, and are cooler. The nylon splint braces with metal struts offer the most support and will go over the pants and so be cooler, but can be clunky sometimes and restrict movement.

A good thing to do is go to a medical supply store and let someone who knows what they are doing fit you properly for an appropriate device that will work for you. Your questions will be answered by a professional that knows these things.

There are a couple other things though. The Home Depot things linked above offer more support than you might think and are really protective and handy to have around even if they do not work for this. Those things will hold up to a hard days work. Also, the one thing everyone with ACL/medial collateral damage should do to stabilize their knee long term is strengthen their hamstrings. When appropriately strong, hamstrings are the best stabilizer for that injury. Ask any football player about that.

And buy a good detector so you don’t have to kneel down so much. Tell your wife it was prescribed here on doctor prospector and is an absolute must. My wife never fell for it, but you never know.

Sorry didn't gave a lot more information's.. its the instability and pain when walking on uneven surface.. pain when in the process of kneeling, pain from the process of kneeling to standing up.. I think I will go to the medical supply store see how its goes.. Thank you for the answer and suggestions 

33 minutes ago, fishersari said:

Sorry didn't gave a lot more information's.. its the instability and pain when walking on uneven surface.. pain when in the process of kneeling, pain from the process of kneeling to standing up.. I think I will go to the medical supply store see how its goes.. Thank you for the answer and suggestions 

If it is as bad as that, then the proper thing is to see a doctor. The doctor will provide proper care and prescribe a proper brace which your insurance will pay for with the doctor’s prescription. I should think some advanced imaging of the knee would be the bare minimum that might be done to evaluate what the pain generating structure actually is and what might be done to relieve your pain. 

I should imagine that nearly any movement required in daily life would be painful for you, the orthopedists are very very good with bad knees these days and your pain could be relieved considerably. Enduring such pain day after day is more than you should have to live with.

Please let us know how you get along, whatever path you choose.

Addressing the knee pad part of these comments, for me knee pads are essential, but they were a huge pain in the neck because they slip so much.  In frustration I started using duct tape to hold cheap foam pads in place.  No subtlety here.  I just wrap'em until the stay where I want them.  Works pretty good.

On 3/2/2023 at 8:13 PM, oldmancoyote1 said:

Addressing the knee pad part of these comments, for me knee pads are essential, but they were a huge pain in the neck because they slip so much.  In frustration I started using duct tape to hold cheap foam pads in place.  No subtlety here.  I just wrap'em until the stay where I want them.  Works pretty good.

That is a pretty good idea. Duct tape is rigid enough and tough enough to provide a fair bit of splinting too, sort of like kinesio taping over clothing. The pad will not be slipping past that stuff,

I just hunt turf now, so not an issue for me really, but working around the house I use a small gardener’s pad. It really helps on hard surfaces like the garage floor, is light and easy to carry around. No support for bad joints, but cheap and they last forever.