The Joy Of Finding Silver..

Good stuff Erik....I'm surprised that your built in radar didn't start beeping sooner on that hot spot.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Doc Bach said:

.I'm surprised that your built in radar didn't start beeping sooner on that hot spot.

Thanks Doc, my radar is on overdrive most times but I still end up spending too much time hunting popular spots.. A very bad habit that I aim to change.. A change of habit = a change of luck..       

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Erik Oostra said:

Thanks Doc, my radar is on overdrive most times but I still end up spending too much time hunting popular spots.. A very bad habit that I aim to change.. A change of habit = a change of luck..       

Good luck with that one, and you're not alone. A lot of detectorist including me have been aware of and strugglin to change that habit for decades cheers!

• Like 1

Nice post Erik! Never had a silver bonanza like that! 👍 Great photos too, I think those two trees would have called me too. 🙂 Ended your nothing streak with a bang 💥

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The tree's look good for climbing, and kids playing on, and with you being in a crazy hot climate people would be sitting around under a tree like that quite often, much more shade than a typical gum tree 🙂

i wonder what habitation was like on Magnetic Island in the early 1900's.   The ferry started quite early on but I doubt it had the traffic of today.

"By 1890 a resort had been started in Picnic Bay. In 1898 Robert Hayles Sr was so impressed by the potential of Magnetic Island he sold his other interests to build a resort on the island. Hayles was responsible for much of the development of Magnetic Island through tourism. In 1901 he started a regular ferry service to the island with his ship the Bee. Twelve months later this ship was wrecked on the rocks at Nobby Head, Picnic Bay, and the Phoenix was built by Hayles' sons to replace the vessel. The Hayles company remained operating services to Magnetic Island with a large number of different vessels until 1988"

Picnic Bay area might be the best spot for hunting really old coins.

Great finds!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Chase Goldman said:

I'm not a tree expert, Erik, but do you think those trees have been around a hundred years or could the landscape have changed to be less inviting for hanging out over the years? 

Those trees don't show up on old photos, they're far younger than the coins.. Old photos of this part of the island show a forest along this bay right up to the beach, but there may have been a small clearing here a hundred years ago.. The landscape is very different now and I'm forever having to imagine where people would swim/picnic in the olden days..  

• Like 4

Great finds and great saves.

The rings look a little odd, and the coins are nice.

Time to just pick a spot when driving around and start detecting with luck like that.

Good luck on your next outing and stay safe out there.

• Like 3