Garrett - Ascend To The Apex Video

Garrett is starting to release videos showing the Apex and it's features, I always found these sorts of videos very helpful when I was learning my Ace detector when I was new to detecting so I figured I'd drop them here to help people find them that may in the future need them.

I think Garrett's done a good job with the Apex, it's often forgotten it's a beginners detector and Garrett certainly doesn't try say otherwise in their videos, very honest, if anything I think they under-rate it.   I'm sure if I owned an Apex I'd do very well with it in my detecting spots, after all a majority of my coins finds I could have made with my Ace 300, and many of them have been.  I guess not too long ago a detector with this pedigree and features would be considered much more than a beginners detector.

I still think the Apex is one of the best looking detectors on the market, love the big screen and design.  I hope their AT Series replacement follows along looking like the Apex.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• The title was changed to Garrett - Ascend To The Apex Video

Fully agree with you Simon, I have always appreciated Garrett's videos and sales literature for many years.  I find the videos informative and easy to understand.

Technically, of course, you are correct insofar as not too many years ago this new unit's capabilities would have been available only in a "top of the line" unit. In fact, I rather like the notion of purchasing one for each of my grandsons to beachcomb our innumerable freshwater public beaches, lots of fun when on vacation. You never know just what you'll find. Thanks for posting the video......................... Jim.

20190715_144425.jpg.2e2078f902fcdbe8170f2dd05f8e76fa.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Jim, the pictures you've put up of finds are fantastic, my sister lived in Burns Lake, BC for many years, she's moved back to Australia recently, however she used to go to Kamloops where you found that 3rd ring regularly for her shopping.  Her daughter stayed on as still in BC.

It will be great if you can get your grand children Apex's for that task and to get them hooked on detecting, and the detector would be more than suitable for their needs, a nice unit to give them the detecting bug.

• Like 1

I'm glad that you started this thread, Phrunt.  Like you, I saw the Garrett video and am pleased that Garrett is promoting what I think is a very good detector that has been overlooked with all of the other multi-frequency machines that have been released over the past couple of years.

I field tested the Apex for Western and Eastern Treasures and liked it a lot.  On saltwater beaches it is a sleeper detector, one that gets good depth, especially with the Reaper coil.  Inland I found it to be capable but the Apex had a tendency to be overwhelmed in high trash, with the iron audio being more or an encumbrance than an advantage.  There is an update to the Apex that improves performance in this area:  https://updates.garrett.com/updates/

Funny how I was just thinking of rolling out the Apex and giving it another go and then this video popped up.  Steve Moore of Garrett actually hunts with their metal detectors (check out his Axiom videos) so these videos are not going to be a talking head show and will be worth watching.

Hopefully the reintroduction of the Apex will get it some well-deserved attention plus open the door to Garrett's next multi-frequency detector.  I hope that Garrett continues to use the Apex display disign - I think it is the best one out there.

Bill

• Like 6

That's one sharp looking detector with a nice large display. Plus, you can choose between one of two coils at purchase. I dislike the typical 11" round coils that are often stock. I'd much rather have something like a 9x6, or if larger is needed, then a 12x9.

• Like 3

As a high end user I wish the Ace Apex had more horsepower, and look forward to a future model that does. It is an Ace model though and Garrett is in no way overselling it as being anything but that. I do very much appreciate it's physical design however, as it is close to what seems perfect to me. Very solid, easy to swing, compact control box with large visible display that is easy to navigate, good affordable coil options, rechargeable, wireless, etc.

garrett-treasure-metal-detectors.jpg

garrett-ace-apex-metal-detector-studio.jpg

• Like 7

I like the Apex quite a lot. Very good build quality. Easy to swing. Great headphones. Decent performance (better than I had expected) and I can spend a minute or two showing someone (who has never used a metal detector) the settings and they don't feel like they're tasked with programming the space shuttle. They just hunt and have fun.

That is where Garrett nailed the Apex (as far as I am concerned) - it is fun.

That is a factor that is difficult to quantify, but knowing what I know about the Apex, I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I didn't already own one.

• Like 6

• 2 months later...

I was not aware of this new video series, Simon.  Thanks for sharing!!!!

I love the simplicity of the Apex.  It's pretty much a turn-on-and-go machine.  The only thing it may be lacking is the ability to overcome Iron-masking coupled with adjusting the Sweep Speed, like some of the other MF detectors.

I've had to do what I call the "Coil Wiggle" in order to pull a high-tone target out from low Iron Audio signals.

Even with the Axiom, Garrett believes in the KISS principle!

• Like 1