Quest Pinpointer...you Guys Were Right!

2 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

I have the earlier version of the X-Pointer Max and just haven't gelled with it. I love the ferrous/non-ferous discrimination and would love to see that in all pinpointers, but my X-Max is a little wonkey and it falses too much in Boost and High mode. I may have to look into the 2023 version.

I have the F-Pulse too and love it, but when I first got it I noticed it falsing too much until I found the apparently super secret second manual that's not included with the unit, but Carl graciously posted on DP. It shows you how to clear up all the issues and even explains how they happen. My F-Pulse has been perfect ever since. Here's that second FP manual for those that may be interested.

Fisher_F-Pulse_OperationR2.rtf 55.41 kB · 3 downloads

Thanks for the link to the FTP pinpointer manual CPT.

I still have my Quest pinpointer. It is a keeper and a great backup.

I have had no issues with my Tek-Point pinpointers. I just make sure to have them on when doing a detector frequency scan to minimize crosstalk. I keep my Tek Point on Max sensitivity and use both tone and vibrate simultaneously.

I make certain to keep my detector’s coil well away (like 3 feet) from my Tek-Point when checking targets in the ground to the point of not laying my detector down next to me with the coil near my dig hole when recovering targets. I actually lay it down at right angle to my target and body. 

On damp ground that is also mineralized, I do occasionally get a little falsing but a quick retune usually takes care of it.

The Legend’s wireless headphones have really good ambient noise cancelling. It is hard for me to hear my Tek-Point when using it with those headphones. I have no problem hearing it using my Nox 800, 900, Deus 2 and some other detectors.

• Like 2

There is something wrong with your Garrett the battery should not drain like that. Send it back and I'll bet they will take care of it. I've had my share of problems with the carrot had one that the light would stay on even when you turn it off so like Jeff I would just reverse the battery after a hunt...I need to look into the Quest  sounds good.

strick 

• Like 2

Garrett Carrot (Pro Pointer AT) for me, and I'd echo similar comments upthread about the Minelab pinpointers being "sub par."

I have a ML Pro Find 20, and only keep it around in case a friend joins in on a hunt and needs a pinpointer. It doesn't register a small target unless it's an 1" or so away, and doesn't have any bells and whistles like the carrot. I also have a ML Pro Find 15 still in the box -- it's going up in the spring garage sale since I can't see it having use except the most novice, budget detectorist. Maybe the Pro Find 35 is better, dunno? 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

I just use the vibration, not a fan of loud anything. I do find the sound useful when changing settings but that's it.

Luck to ya!

• Like 4