Quest Pinpointer...you Guys Were Right!

For some reason the quest (no pun intended) to find a good pinpointer has been quite expensive and full of trial and error.  I think I can say I've had pretty much every one on the market.  Nearly all of them have quirks and some things I absolutely can't stand.  The Minelab ones are probably the worst of the bunch.  The Garrett AT is one of my favorites but mine goes through batteries like crazy.  I actually wonder if something stays on that drains the battery when it's off...because mine only lasts about 4 to 5 hunts before the battery is spent.  The Whites TRX was another favorite but mine has quit working.  The Fisher and Teknetics pulse ones...false WAY to much for my liking.  Well...as I was searching here and there, I ran across some posts here about the Quest pinpointer and decided to try it.  Heck yes!  It's not fool proof but it has now taken over my top spot for pinpointer.  I don't know how it will last in the long run but so far I'm satisfied with it.  

I just got a Teknetics Tekpoint, and tried it on a few targets in my backyard. Even in my mild ground, and the lowest sensitivity level, the falsing was unbearable. The only way I can kind of stop the falsing, is by turning it on with the tip touching the ground. But then again, that often doesn't work either.

I also don't know if it's defective, but this pinpointer has extremely low volume. Much lower than the other pinpointers I've used. I have to use vibrate, because when I'm outside, and even with only one earbud in, I most often can't here the damn thing.

Now I'm thinking of returning it, and getting something else. What model do you have, and what do like about it compared to the others?

EDIT- I also tried the quick press in the air to tune out EMI. Like pressing the power button when the tip is on the ground, it often didn't work, and when it did, it would start falsing again after a few seconds.

1 hour ago, Digalicious said:

I just got a Teknetics Tekpoint, and tried it on a few targets in my backyard. Even in my mild ground, and the lowest sensitivity level, the falsing was unbearable. The only way I can kind of stop the falsing, is by turning it on with the tip touching the ground. But then again, that often doesn't work either.

I also don't if it's defective, but this pinpointer has extremely low volume. Much lower than the other pinpointers I've used. I have to use vibrate, because when I'm outside, and even with only one earbud in, I most often can't here the damn thing.

Now I'm thinking of returning it, and getting something else. What model do you have, and what do like about it compared to the others?

EDIT- I also tried the quick press in the air to tune out EMI. Like pressing the power button when the tip is on the ground, it often didn't work, and when it did, it would start falsing again after a few seconds.

That's exactly how mine is and how the F-Pulse was too.  I think that's just how they are.  

Your quest for a decent pinpointer mirrors mine, and I agree with your assessments on the ones mentioned, the Minelab is absolute junk, an embarrassment to the Minelab name, I've had 3 now and they all performed the same.

At the moment the XP Mi-4 and Pro Pointer AT are my favourites I've not yet tried a Quest but by the sounds of it I should.

My F-Pulse is also quiet and falses a lot, I figured being a Pulse it wouldn't care about ground balance as much as it does as I don't have to balance any other pinpointers except the TRX, even in my very mild soil I have to turn it on touching the ground or It's all over the place.  I rarely use it except for beach detecting, that's about all it's good for.  It's got terrible volume level too, the Carrot AT and XP are much better for volume and neither need me to worry about touching the thing to the ground when turning them on.

Nice Daniel! 👍 My absolute favorite is the MI-6, I have an F-Pulse, and the Carrot too. However, the Quest is always with me relic hunting because it is useful for ending a dig on deep iron. I hope they have improved it since I reviewed it over a year ago, wish there was an update 😏

Haven't been too impressed with the F-pulse yet, but I'll be taking it to the beach.

29 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Your quest for a decent pinpointer mirrors mine, and I agree with your assessments on the ones mentioned, the Minelab is absolute junk, an embarrassment to the Minelab name, I've had 3 now and they all performed the same.

At the moment the XP Mi-4 and Pro Pointer AT are my favourites I've not yet tried a Quest but by the sounds of it I should.

My F-Pulse is also quiet and falses a lot, I figured being a Pulse it wouldn't care about ground balance as much as it does as I don't have to balance any other pinpointers except the TRX, even in my very mild soil I have to turn it on touching the ground or It's all over the place.  I rarely use it except for beach detecting, that's about all it's good for.  It's got terrible volume level too, the Carrot AT and XP are much better for volume and neither need me to worry about touching the thing to the ground when turning them on.

I Like the Quest X Pointer Max so much I picked up a second one, I purchased the new 2023 model which is identical to the previous model X Pointer Max except now they added a sensor inside the body of the new 2023 model and a magnet in the holster which they call the holster (Magic Holster) what this does is while you are out detecting you power on the pointer and leave it on and when you re holster the new X Pointer Max it goes into stand by mode then when you remove it from the Magic Holster it automatically turns back on for target retrieval I am liking the two X Pointer Max pointers I have a Lot the new 2023 model also does not false near as much as the first one I purchased either, the first X Pointer max I had to turn the sensitivity down to medium or high because in boost was when it would false, the new 2023 model I picked up I can run it on boost all the time the 2023 model also seems to be deeper than the earlier version I have also, when I compare both in equal settings the new one is deeper by about an inch

I also have been on a search for a pointer I like I have a Nokta/Macro Pulse Dive which I do like but it is way to heavy, also have the F Pulse and hate the dang thing because I can not hear it and the Vibration is so weak it is useless, I kept going back to my original Garrett pro pointer I purchased in 2009 but this new X Pointer Max I am really liking a lot

29 minutes ago, phrunt said:

It's my understanding that the F-Pulse is the same thing as the Teknetics TekPoint.

I also noticed the Tekpoint's falsing due to ground balance problems, isn't just the only type of falsing with this pinpointer. It's also highly suspectable to falsing due to EMI. With those two types of falsing, and the very poor volume, I'm definitely returning this pinpointer.

2 minutes ago, Digalicious said:

It's my understanding that the F-Pulse is the same thing as the Teknetics TekPoint.

I also noticed the Tekpoint's falsing due to ground balance problems, isn't just the only type of falsing with this pinpointer. It's also highly suspectable to falsing due to EMI. With those two types of falsing, and the very poor volume, I'm definitely returning this pinpointer.

I never had any falsing issues with my F Pulse, I just could not hear the dang thing and the Vibration was so weak you could not feel it when near a target, why fisher did not add the ability to turn the volume up in the F Pulse and Tec Point I will never figure it out, that's the other thing I really like about the X Pointer Max is it has 5 volume levels, I had to turn both mine down to 3 because they are extremely loud at 5 but I would rather have to turn the volume down as apposed to not being able to hear my pointer LOL