X-terra Pro Vs Simplex Ultra Sid's Video

Post production X-Terra Pro versus pre production Simplex Ultra by Sid, using deep mid to high conductor targets in slightly mineralized ground. Same targets, same time testing.

I wish he had setup up both detectors in 2 tones. Other than that, an honest test.

• Like 2

So I guess Nokta sent him a Simplex to demonstrate seeing its a pre-production unit, and he bought or borrowed an X-Terra?

I would have liked the Vanquish be thrown in the mix for a baseline as in those conditions it should be a killer and seeing I'm familiar with it I could understand a bit more how the others are doing based on it.   The 11" coil the Simplex has should be deeper than the 12x9" of the X-Terra, it'd be a cool to see how it goes with the 11" Nox coil on it just to get an idea how they compare directly.

It seems they've possibly improved depth on the new Simplex as it's certainly outperforming my Simplex in that video, mines terrible for depth.  I'm quite the skeptic with videos these days, and the only way I really believe them is if I do it myself as often the video results people do are vastly different to my own.  Not saying the people are being dodgy, more that I'm in different conditions that change the results.

It's good to see these entry level detectors becoming such good detectors though, I won't be buying either, just no need for them.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Saw that video...posted to it... copy below.

I found many errors in your testing!

I call operator error?

X-Terra pro is a different beast and you have to do things differently when switching frequencies, etc.  I've been reading the 50+ page manual and have learned a lot...

1. Per the manual you need to do another ground balance any time you switch frequencies. Or it resets back to the default which is in the middle of the scale.

2. The ground you were testing in had lots of iron in it!  So why did you leave it in Recovery Speed 1? 

1 is low recovery
2. is medium recovery 
3 is high recovery 

With all that iron in the ground you needed to be on recovery speed 3. (Page 32 of the manual) All that iron at recovery speed 1 was also causing more iratic  ID #s too.

3. At the end of the video I saw you do a ground balance over iron which it registered just before that.
Per the manual always do a all metal mode check of the ground you're going to use for ground balance to make sure it's clean before doing this.

Any time you switch frequencies you're suppose to do a ground balance again as the unit will go back to the default setting (per the manual page 16 & 23).

Also, recovery speed 1 gives least sepration. 3 gives the most....never saw you put it on 3 🤔 as you could hear the null iron.

Other things to consider...

This is a prototype of the coming retail unit. Will retail units be the same?

Price will surely be more with all that carbon fiber.  

How much bigger is the Simplex coil or just rounder? Many say size matters!

I call for a re-match with all this in mind 🙂

• Like 4

@Kctrading here is the issue in my opinion Sid should have put the Xterra Pro on 15 KHz and never changed frequencies at all as the Simplex Ultra is a single frequency 15 KHz detector,if you are going to do test do apples for apples. Sid was trying to see if he could get the Xterra pro to hit as good as the Simplex Ultra and in my opinion the Xterra pro failed because no matter what Sid did he could not get the Xterra Pro to perform as good as the Simplex Ultra.

I personally have no interest in either of these detectors but lets face it if i was going to purchase one of the two based on that video, it would be the Simplex Ultra, but I still cannot stand those tones which sounds like the Aflac goose, Aflaaaaac,Aflaaaaac 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, DSMITH said:

@Kctrading here is the issue in my opinion Sid should have put the Xterra Pro on 15 KHz and never changed frequencies at all as the Simplex Ultra is a single frequency 15 KHz detector,if you are going to do test do apples for apples. Sid was trying to see if he could get the Xterra pro to hit as good as the Simplex Ultra and in my opinion the Xterra pro failed because no matter what Sid did he could not get the Xterra Pro to perform as good as the Simplex Ultra.

I personally have no interest in either of these detectors but lets face it if i was going to purchase one of the two based on that video, it would be the Simplex Ultra, but I still cannot stand those tones which sounds like the Aflac goose, Aflaaaaac,Aflaaaaac 

Lol....so I see I am not the only one who thinks it quacks!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Kctrading said:

Saw that video...posted to it... copy below.

I found many errors in your testing!

I call operator error?

X-Terra pro is a different beast and you have to do things differently when switching frequencies, etc.  I've been reading the 50+ page manual and have learned a lot...

1. Per the manual you need to do another ground balance any time you switch frequencies. Or it resets back to the default which is in the middle of the scale.

2. The ground you were testing in had lots of iron in it!  So why did you leave it in Recovery Speed 1? 

1 is low recovery
2. is medium recovery 
3 is high recovery 

With all that iron in the ground you needed to be on recovery speed 3. (Page 32 of the manual) All that iron at recovery speed 1 was also causing more iratic  ID #s too.

3. At the end of the video I saw you do a ground balance over iron which it registered just before that.
Per the manual always do a all metal mode check of the ground you're going to use for ground balance to make sure it's clean before doing this.

Any time you switch frequencies you're suppose to do a ground balance again as the unit will go back to the default setting (per the manual page 16 & 23).

Also, recovery speed 1 gives least sepration. 3 gives the most....never saw you put it on 3 🤔 as you could hear the null iron.

Other things to consider...

This is a prototype of the coming retail unit. Will retail units be the same?

Price will surely be more with all that carbon fiber.  

How much bigger is the Simplex coil or just rounder? Many say size matters!

I call for a re-match with all this in mind 🙂

On recovery speed, a lower recovery speed is better for depth on clean ground conditions. That is why he tried it several ways with the xterra. 

I will also say the 11 inch coil on the Simplex has an advantage being a larger diameter.

He was just showing the stock configuration between the units. If he would have put the 11 inch equinox coil on the xterra it would have performed better as I have tried it myself on mine but as far as holding the correct number, it would bounce around a bit but not as erratic.

I like the xterra better myself. A friend of mine let me use his Simplex. I personally like the tones on the minelab better. Not taking anything away from what the Simplex can do. It is all just a personal preference.

• Like 3

Sid could have put the X-Terra Pro in Square Wave Depth Tones and run it 2 tone VCO. That is the closest audio setup to the Simplex PWM 3 tone VCO.

Sid tried all of the frequencies including 15 kHz using the X-Terra Pro. As far as I can remember, the X-Terra Pro unit is an end user model and not a tester.

The Simplex Ultra is a pre production, test model. 

I also just can't deal with the Simplex squawking audio. But that is just me and my own subjective opinion.

These are single frequency detectors that cost well below $400 US. Don't expect them to ID like an SMF on targets in a fairly trashy area.

I thought they did well for what they are.

• Like 4