New Cut Breathes Life Back Into Metal Detecting

As you may know, I've been complaining about beaches being super sanded in lately, and I've been searching for beaches not so affected by this seasonal cycle. Mainly I've discovered that hunting places where bulldozers have stirred up the sand helps alleviate some of the sanding in problems, but the tide will bring the sand back fairly quickly, so there's a short time frame of when the dozers leave and when sand fills the cavities they've left behind. I will also correct myself, from what I said earlier about how I thought beaches where you have to pay to get in are not great hunting spots. They are absolutely great places to hunt; as long as there are swimmers, there's treasures.

That being said the area that was bulldozed over had been sanded in again, so I had to look elsewhere to hunt for treasures. Thus, I went an 45 mins south, to a place where I had previous found a coin line before, and had consistently found to have coin lines whenever I went. When I arrived and started detecting, the coins started popping out left and right. That's when I noticed the elevation of the sand was much much lower in some places compared to when I hunted the same area previously. A cut had formed! I feverishly moved along the cut as it rose higher and higher, finding all sorts of quarters, dime, nickels and pennies. The tide was against me this time, as I planned to hunt this area last and it was rising fast! (I was at the concrete ship beach early that morning and found some coins, but not a whole lot) Luckily most of the finds were up against the cut so All I had to do was move along the cut and hit every target I could hit. Eventually I came across a target that I thought was a nickel, oh it was a nickel alright, but not your standard nickel! It was a buffalo nickel, which told me that old stuff was washing up! (or at least being washed out from the cut) "I had to continue quickly, there could be silver coins here!" I thought to myself. So I did, and eventually came across another target with the TID of 44. I was busy pinpointing another target I had pulled up and planned to pull the higher TID target, second. When I finally got around to it, I pulled out a silver ring. Color looked a bit off, and I thought perhaps it wasn't silver, but hey a ring is a ring. (later on I checked and it's marked 925 though it's been pretty worn away) Continuing down the cut, I kept pulling more and more coins. Eventually I pulled up a silver quarter and a silver dime close to each other, as they tend to be. By the end of the cut the targets were few and far between. Satisfied with the finds for the day I turned around and started walking back, while looking for any targets I missed. By this time, it was high tide, and the water was close if not already at the cut, so I had to move quickly. One of the last targets was a high tone and I dug it up, I discovered that I had found another silver quarter! I knew this cause I checked the edge, and even scratched at it with my fingernail to try to expose any copper that may be covered up with patina. Also checked the date and it was from 1964.

Overall it was a great haul, and much needed one at that! I will be back down again this week .Hopefully there will still be more treasures to find!

20230425_105107.jpg

20230425_105029.jpg

20230425_104828.jpg

That's a good hunt there.

Nice hunting and some great saves.

Good luck on your next outing.

Did somebody here say cut ? Even with all the missing sand ...

That's an impressive amount of digging , and finding !  

All of the silver looks like it was actually in the ground for quite a while ,,,so in my regarded opinion it checks out as not fake !😜 

Now , go do it again so we know for sure....🍀

1 hour ago, Dave johnson said:

That’s a lot of coins, the salt water sure turns them crusty. I’ve never found any silver coins that weren’t either black or dark grey at the beach.

it's pretty clear they've been out there for a while. Still haven't beaten my record for more than 3 silver coins, but it has beaten the record for the most silver coinage (in terms of coin size) found in a single day! 
Also sometimes the patina comes out easily and reveals the silver underneath if you accidentally rub it too hard.

Great post and it looks like you had fun.  Isn't it amazing how the beach can love you and then break your heart the next day?  Or vice versa?  Hitting a cut like that after finding sanded in conditions is major good luck.  Here in S. CA it seems like the entire coast is sanded in right now.  Everyone is fighting over zinc pennies it is so bad!

Bill