Ver 1.0, 1.1, 2.0 Update Consolidated Information - Post Your Unbiased Impressions And Observations Here

Updated to Reflect the Ver 2.0 Update released 5 September 2023

Updated to Reflect the Ver 1.1 Update released on 25 May 2023.

This thread is an attempt to consolidate dispassionate, factual, and unbiased (pro or con) observations and impressions on the XP Deus 2 Ver 1.1 Update.

If you have been plugged into the posts here related to this update, it is obvious that it’s definitely a glass partially full, partially empty thing depending on your perspective and how the changes, for better or for worse, affect the way you each use your Deus 2.  People who focus solely on specific types of detecting or specific site conditions with their Deus 2 (e.g., beach and water hunters vs. park coin shooters vs. hot dirt relic hunters vs. gold prospectors vs. those detecting in highly iron or aluminum polluted sites) will each have different reactions to this update be it elation to ho hum to bitter disappointment.  And just to be clear, it’s apparent things have changed beyond the obvious added features touted by XP, no denying that.  Also, it’s apparent that long time, identified issues that have existed before even ver 0.71 was released have still not been addressed (e.g., micro gold sensitivity, the clock, high target ID compression). What’s not clear at this stage is the impact (net positive or negative) of the  “unexpected” changes and whether the omissions are intentional because XP hasn’t figured out the fix or have it prioritized for a subsequent update.

My point is, the forum community is better served, at this point, by level headed assessments and exchanges of factual information and observations.  Information that can be usefully disseminated amongst Deus 2 users, rather than knee jerk, emotional, and/or over the top proclamations (good or bad) that just stir the pot or satisfy people’s hidden agendas.  That type of commentary does little to help Deus users nor does it help XP get the useful feedback needed to enable addressing improvements in a timely manner.  So if you can’t help being significantly biased or hyperbolic in your commentary either because you are an unapologetic XP FanBoy or a perpetual XP basher, please just sit this one out.

Also, this is a reminder that Gary Black @Gary XP is a member of DP and drops in to monitor and exchange information with existing and prospective Deus 2 users so if we can keep the discourse civil and to the point, Gary can be a useful resource to shed additional light on what changed with ver 1.0 and a direct conduit back to XP regarding our Ver 1.0 experiences, good and bad, and what else we might like to see that was perhaps broken by or not addressed in Ver 1.0.

Have at it.

Also, here are links to some useful official information and videos related to the update.

Also, @F350Platinum discovered that there are Ver 2.0 variants with different time stamps (XP's strict adherence to SW version configuration control methods (not) apparently strikes again).  If you upgraded to V2.0 the day it was released or on or before 9/26/23, check your version time stamp (Option/Settings/Infos) to make sure you have the latest 9/26/23 version. More info in this post.

Version 2.0 Update Link

Addresses compatibility with the new XP Xtrem Hunter Two-Box Coil

Improves Goldfield small gold sensitivity (verified in air tests conducted by @Jeff McClendon)

Enables the Audio Equalizer to work with the XP wired, bone-conduction "Bone Phones"

SmartSelect_20240102_111348_Chrome.thumb.jpg.76e276a7cc21f85e977a66b6d9390184.jpg

SmartSelect_20240102_111429_Chrome.thumb.jpg.7b76864dc0245ca825fe545e4ca3f5d5.jpg

V1.1 UPDATE

XP would like to express its gratitude to all users for providing valuable feedback following the release of version 1.0. We appreciate your input, and based on your feedback, we are pleased to introduce version 1.1:

• Bug Fixes:
We have successfully resolved the issue of remote control rebooting or WS6 freezing in very rare configurations.

• Other Improvements:
The FE.TID (Ferrous Target display) setting is now enabled by default. If you prefer not to display ferrous target IDs, you can turn off the FE.TID setting.
We have made corrections to the SILENCER function in programs P1, P2, P4, P5, and P6. Now, Silencer levels 0, 1, and 2 provide the same rejection as in V0.71, while higher levels from 3 offer better iron rejection. The program 3 SENSI FT uses different Silencer close to V1.0.

Notes :
- Previous versions 0.6, 0.71, and 1.0 are still available online and accessible thanks to the new updater.

- All other new functions and improvements introduced in V1.0, such as Audio Filter, Freq Max, HiSquare audio, Fulltones Offset, fast TID, etc., remain unchanged in V1.1. 
We encourage you to read detailed information about these features in the documentation below and watch the video by Gary Blackwell.

Additionally, we strongly recommend watching the tutorial video below titled "Update Procedure" to guide you through the update process.

Thank you once again for your valuable feedback and continuous support!

The XP team

What's new in Version 1.0:

FULL TONES (DISCRI > EXPERT)

fulltones-2screens.png
  • DISCRIMINATION=TONE BREAK
Values below the discrimination level, such as the ground and iron, are now audible without having to lower the discrimination to -6.4. The discrimination setting acts as a "tone break," and the Iron Volume setting adjusts the volume of ground and iron below the discrimination level.

• OFFSET-FT (FULLTONES > EXPERT)
Shifts the audio frequency to the high tone of the first targets with a signature just above the Discrimination level, in order to easily differentiate them audibly from iron:

0=disabled OFFSET.

5=default setting allowing a first level of offset to the high tone of the first non-ferrous targets.

10=more pronounced offset.

40 (max) = all targets above the discrimination level will produce the same high-pitched sound.

• Full Tones -TONE VOLUME (FULLTONES > EXPERT)
Configures the tone breaks and volume levels of 5 conductivity ranges of the Full Tones in order to prioritize certain target ranges.

TONE VOLUME (MENU > DISCRI > EXPERT > TONES > EXPERT)

Adjusts the individual volume of each tone on 11 levels to attenuate certain target ranges and prioritize others.

FREQUENCY MAX (MENU > FREQ MAX)

frequence-max-v4.jpg

Limits the maximum high frequency used in the multifrequency spectrum FMF to 40kHz, 24kHz or 14kHz for each program.

Reducing the Max Frequency improves ground stability and iron discrimination.

This also reduces sensitivity to weak conductors (T.ID 25-50) and the ability to accept coins mixed with nails or heavily mineralized soil.

For example, program 1 GENERAL coupled with a Max Frequency of 14khz (4-14khz spectrum) is more suitable for locating high conductive targets (silver coins) through aluminum foil, compared to the default band up to 40khz.

Note: The frequency shift and auto frequency scan have been moved to the Max Frequency sub-menu.

AUDIO FILTER (OPTION > AUDIO)

audio-filter_v2.jpg

Cleans up the audio and sounds smoother, less instability, particularly at depth, choosing the correct Audio Filter for your search area can gain a few extra centimeters of performance.

• On clean beaches or clean open ground, higher levels from 2 to 5 will be interesting.
  • In polluted iron environments, lower levels from 0 to 2 will retain enough nuances in the iron feedback to better recognize Ferrous and Non-Ferrous targets.
At 0, this audio filter is disabled.

HI-SQUARE AUDIO TYPE (OPTION > AUDIO > AUDIO TYPE)

high-square_v4.jpg
This new audio type has a richer and clearer harmonic content than the SQUARE Audio Type and can very often help identify deep quiet targets.

In Pitch mode, strong targets close to the coil will be less sharp and softened compared to SQUARE, in order to better identify deep targets without saturating your hearing with close and strong signals.
high-square_bandeau_v4.jpg

FASTER T.ID

The target ID (T.ID) display now updates faster, so that the ID of a ferrous target does not linger on a non-ferrous target. Also, adjust the FE T.ID setting to OFF to favor the display of non-ferrous targets.

FE T.ID (OPTION > CONFIG > ON/OFF)

fe.t.id.png
FE T.ID = ON: Displays the ID of ferrous targets.

FE T.ID = OFF: Will not display the ID of ferrous targets but only targets with an ID value higher than the discrimination setting (even if you keep the Iron Volume).
In iron-polluted environments, set FE T.ID to OFF to focus on the display of non-ferrous targets.

SILENCER (DISCRI > EXPERT)

Now more effective and staggered with 8 levels from 0 to 7.
With the silencer set to levels 2-3, difficult ferrous targets displaying a high ID and generating high-pitched tones will be better eliminated. 
If you want to further improve the discrimination of ferrous targets, consider:
    - Increasing the Silencer to 3, 4, 5...
    - Increasing the discrimination level to 8-10.
    - Use the B.caps reject (rejecting ferrous and large iron capsules)
    - Reducing the Max Frequency to 24 or 14kHz

OTHER

Program 1-GENERAL
Program 1-General now uses 2 tones and the Big T.ID display mode as default. Its reactivity is slightly reduced from 2.5 to 2 to offer you more performance in general use on less polluted ground.

Multi Notch and Ground menu is now available on the WS6
The Multi-Notch as well as the Ground menu with its all-metal mode are now present on the WS6 Master.

Thanks for your support guys, I will always try to help whenever possible.

Summary of Issues/Observations Identified Since Public Release of Ver 1.0:

• Ver 1.0 Silencer Filter Response appears to be more aggressive at the 0, 1, and 2 levels (and above) and step increases in silencer settings appear coarser than the equivalent settings in Ver 0.71 adversely affecting 3-D ferrous/non-ferrous target separation and causing masking even at high reactivity levels.  See questions in next section regarding whether the Silencer filter is disabled when set to “0” or was changed from ver 0.71.  (Addressed in the Ver 1.1 Update to restore Silencer behavior at levels 0, 1, and 2 to Ver 0.71, Note that Program 3 - Sensi FT retains the aggressive low level Silencer Settings introduced in Ver 1.0)
  • Ver 1.0 Audio Response appears to be amplified over the equivalent settings in Ver 0.71.
  • Deus 2 Micro/Sub-gram gold performance of D2 in gold field mode still significantly lags Deus/Orx Gold Field performance.  XP should consider providing a selectable single/mono-frequency Gold Mode factory program in a future update.  Enabling mono-frequency adjustments above the current Program 7 max of 45 kHz, perhaps in conjunction with a D2 small, elliptical high frequency coil (see more on that below).
  • Bug (ver 0.71, ver 1.0, ver 1.1) - If the Big TID Display option has been invoked in any mode, accessing the Equalizer from the Audio hot key shortcut (long press of "+" key and then pressing the middle "^" key reverts the display to normal sized horseshoe screen.  Big TID can be recovered using the Big TID hot keys (pressing and holding the "+" and the right hand "^" keys at the same time.  This does not happen if any of the other audio options are selected or adjusted from the shortcut and if Big TID is your saved default display mode  (such as in the ver 1.X General Program), it will return on a power cycle.
  • Anomalous Clock operation appears to still be an issue.
  • XP Needs to update the User Guide to address increased coil battery drain at lower Max F settings.
  • Possible Bug:  Remote parameter adjustment locks up after frequency scan or Sensitivity, Reactivity, or other parameter change, requiring a power cycle reboot of the remote.  (Potentially Addressed in Ver 1.1 Update to restore Silencer behavior at levels 0, 1, and 2 to Ver 0.71)
  • Odd Behavoir: If you go directly to bone phones as the audio output device, you can only select Square. Go to another audio device, change it to HiSquare and then back to bone phones, and it will then say HiSquare which can’t be changed directly back to Square unless you repeat the audio output switch procedure again. Switching a another device to PCM and switching back to bone phones audio is ignored by the bone phones output. It is difficult to tell if the audio is Square or HiSquare when it says HiSquare. (New: Added 6/29/23)

Update issues:

• Various reports of WS6 lockups (requiring battery drain resets) or puck bricks during the update process or during version rollback. (Potentially Addressed in Ver 1.1 Update to restore Silencer behavior at levels 0, 1, and 2 to Ver 0.71)

Questions:

• Is the only difference between FMF profiles used in the base factory programs the Max F setting and whether FMF uses Frequency Addition or Conductive Soil Subtraction or are there other Min F or frequency combination or signal processing differences? Put another way, do similar programs that utilize Frequency Addition or Conductive Soil Subtraction behave the exactly the same if set up with the exact same Max F and other user adjustable settings? Examples include Dive, Beach, and Beach Sensitive at the same Max F or Sensitive/Sensitive FT/Fast and Park and Deep HC at the same Max F and all other parameters adjusted equivalently.  This is important information for users trying to determine the most appropriate base program to use for developing custom user program profiles.
  • Is the Silencer filter disabled when set to “0”?  If not, was Silencer at Level 0 modified from ver 0.71? (Answer to second question is yes, but ver 0.71 behavior at Silencer = 0 was restored in the ver 1.1 update except Program 3 - Sensi FT which retains the Ver 1.0 aggressive low level Silencer filter)
  • Were Ver 1.0 non-ferrous ID ranges/segments (especially high conductivity TIDs) adjusted vs. Ver 0.71?
  • When will the Go Terrain App be available in all geographic regions?
  • Will it be possible in the future to delete some of the redundant factory programs to enable more custom user program slots?
  • Ability to apply updates and reload/re-program custom user programs via a mobile device or PC interface as an alternative to programming via tge remote’s limited interface would be a welcome new feature.  Expanding the number of Characters that can be used for naming custom user programs would also be welcome.
  • Is a D2 compatible small elliptical coil (or enabling existing HF elliptical coil compatibility with D2) on the table (even if it is not-dive rated) or is that just out of the question as far as XP is concerned?  A lot of prospective and existing D2 users have expressed a desire for this popular coil form factor for D2.

• The title was changed to Ver 1.0 Update Consolidated Information - Post Your Unbiased Impressions And Observations Here

I do not know if this is a separate issue from silencer, but I had custom program settings on a spreadsheet and plugged them into V1.0.  The next hunt, the D2 was very silent – too silent.  There was no iron to be heard. I had to increase the iron volume by several notches before I started hearing iron (which was everywhere).  I haven’t had the opportunity to get back out and see if threshold would work properly. Ideally I would like to “hear“ iron as a drop off in the threshold rather than a separate positive tone.  But the threshold used to operate as a series of beating tones rather than a continuous smooth hum. If they fixed that in V 1.0 I will be happier.

1 hour ago, Geologyhound said:

I do not know if this is a separate issue from silencer, but I had custom program settings on a spreadsheet and plugged them into V1.0.  The next hunt, the D2 was very silent – too silent.  There was no iron to be heard. I had to increase the iron volume by several notches before I started hearing iron (which was everywhere).  I haven’t had the opportunity to get back out and see if threshold would work properly. Ideally I would like to “hear“ iron as a drop off in the threshold rather than a separate positive tone.  But the threshold used to operate as a series of beating tones rather than a continuous smooth hum. If they fixed that in V 1.0 I will be happier.

The iron volume range was increased from 0 to 5 in ver 0.71 to 0 to 10 in ver. 1.0.  So if you were using an old custom program iron volume setting (e.g., 3 out 5 for ver 0.71), you would have to increase the setting to at least 6 (out of 10) to get an equivalent iron volume level in Ver 1.0.  The Ver 1.0 Factory Preset Program default settings for iron volume have been adjusted up to account for this range change.  

If you want threshold dropouts for iron targets instead of iron volume, you can set up a notch segment that covers all or part of the iron range (say from -6.4 to 8 or -6.4 to 0).  Any target that falls in that notch segment will null the threshold. Using Relic or Gold Field works best for this, but you can use it on any program as long as you invoke Pitch tones audio to activate the threshold.  I have only done this Notch “trick” with Relic mode, so I am not sure how it would work in conjunction with Discrimination based programs such as General  (e.g, if you set Disc at 8 and invoked a Notch from -6.4 to 8 on top of it).

HTH

A few initial observations with only about 10 hours of usage:

• Iron Volume range expanded. I like it because now I can set it to to be able to just barely hear the iron tone. 
  • Silencer setting more is dynamic. Not enough hours with it yet to determine if it is a plus or minus for the type of hunting I do, but it appeared to help with the falsing without losing its unmasking ability at a setting of 2 or 3. 
  • I like that I can now lower the top frequency for any program. That gives me many more options to target certain conductors.
  • I found the iron falsing in Full Tones noticably better in V1.0.
  • It appeared to me that running a negative Disc lessened the iron falsing even more.

Hi-Square 1.00 vs old Square 0.71 in pitch tone:

- In hi-square more information is now heard in an iron tone. And how deep the nail is in the ground, size, shape, etc.

- In hi-square there is less dynamics and amplitude in the pitch tone. It is more difficult to determine the depth of the target - for this only the speed of the sound response. When digging to the surface, the signal can be even quieter than in the ground, as strong sounds are muted by the algorithm.

- Because of the differences in the first two points, it's a bit more difficult to distinguish between iron-mixed targets and iron-falsing. Now in hi-square we either trust the algorithm and dig everything. Or we listen to how stable the pitch sound is and decide to dig based on its behavior.

- The new pitch hi-square is more comfortable for long time use. You can walk for many hours without feeling discomfort in your ears and brain.

1 hour ago, brys said:

One way signals ,,will audio filter help?

What you mean for one way? I mostly have unstable signal for heavy masked target or probably iron falsing. Audio filter doesn't help in both situations.
But overall it's a very good feature to use in the right conditions.

1 hour ago, brys said:

One way signals ,,will audio filter help?

Right question. Maybe it could help, we have to do empirical evidence and find out..