New Guy With California-specific Legality Questions; Jim_alaska Please?

2 hours ago, Cord said:

Thank you all for the welcome, and for the great responses! Sounds like I am legally in the clear.

As for the response about the type of auger, I absolutely agree. Fortunately we have many different types of hand auger at work, and I am accustomed to having to use more than one type of auger to dig a given hole.

Regarding existing claims, is there a source for up to date claim maps? Something that I could buy or download? Does California require that claims be posted?

Thanks, everyone!

Clay Diggings runs the website mylandmatters.org - that’s the best place to start for getting information about claims. But for getting maps of specific claim locations, you will have to go to your county recorders office, or ask BLM for them but you have to ask by giving them specific claim numbers.

Be sure to throw Clay a bone if the site helps you out (it will), he’s running the best resource out there for us!

http://www.mylandmatters.org/Maps/ClaimsCa/GetMap

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Can't help with any laws, etc. but if you haven't bought your sluice yet I'd highly recommend a drop riffle sluice such as a leTrap or Angus Mackirk sluice.  They are very forgiving and cleanouts take seconds also pretty damned efficient imo. No longer do the dig-in-the-bank along the river stuff but will never part with my AM sluice or Garret Super Sluice pan.....

My compliments to the posters for showing how to answer questions without getting political. The secret is simple. Discuss what is. That's it. Not why. Some people people love to argue over the whys of things and assign blame. Here, I want to concentrate on what unites us, not what divides us, and solving problems for each other is a great place for that to happen.

Please nobody respond to this. It is just that when I saw the post topic, California and rules, and I cringed "here we go again." Instead, I'll enjoy my morning coffee. Compliments to the posters. Thank you very much!! But again, let's not let my post become a subject of discussion. Thanks. :smile:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2