Howdy From Fabius, Alabama!

PathfinderBob

New searcher here from Fabius, Alabama (NE corner of Alabama, on top of Sand Mountain).  I own 35 acres and I have access to several large plots of private land as well.   I’m a disabled military veteran & completely new to metal detecting.   I’m excited about my newest hobby and am planning to purchase a Garrett Pro Max within the next week or so.  I’m mostly interested in searching for American Civil War relics, but I’m sure I’ll put hours in at public places looking for whatever.  Pictured is a small section of an old rock wall that runs parallel to a seasonal creek.  I’m guessing it was created to use for livestock containment as I don’t see any other purpose considering its location (where two forested hillsides merge to form the seasonal creek).  I’m gonna check it out in the fall after the snakes have gone underground!  So, until I graduate from my metal detecting preschool status, I’ll spend most of my time here in the forum lurking in the background trying to absorb as much information as possible.  Good luck swinging and please be safe out there!

IMG_5572.jpeg

Welcome to the forum and that is a nice wall as it could provide some very interesting finds for you.

You probably already know that we enjoy reading about the finds and always enjoy seeing the areas of the finds.

There is some beautiful country from where you are at so enjoy the hunts.

Welcome to the forum! At first I misread Fabius for Fabulous, but it looks that way none the less. If you start finding Civil War relics we'll all be right down. 😀

Stone wall photo tells me your digging is going to be dicey sometimes, but a challenge is part of the fun. Or not. 😏

Don't be afraid to ask straight up for gear recommendations here. Some of us may be able to steer you toward stuff that accommodates a particular disability.

Good luck and we're looking forward to your exploits and photos!

Welcome from East Texas.  That sure is some pretty country where you are.   The stones for that fence may very well have come from clearing crop fields that are now long overgrown with woods. There is bound to be an old house & barn site fairly close by. Look for a year round water supply with a nearby high spot for the house. There should be some interesting history there for you to find.  Old roads are there too & may look like the seasonal creek you mentioned.  The AT Max is a good detector but a little dated on features and not the easiest to learn the audio on.  Lots of good information here from some knowledgeable folks.

Welcome aboard Bob !

Looks like some good detecting on that property !

Lots of info already posted here to explore .

Steve's Guides are a good place to start.     

There are forums for major brand detectors here that have more brand specific postings .

Research will always be your key to success.

AND no need to lurk just because you just got here. Ask any questions you have as you learn more .