Tick Season

Just wanted to remind everyone at least in the US to take bug precautions when detecting.  I’m in PA, in my mid 40’s, and woke up to a tick stuck to my ribs about 9 days ago.  last week I was having trouble thinking straight, that progressed quickly into a high fever, extremity numbness, and blurry vision.  After a few days of antibiotics, I’m feeling mush better but still have some numbness and blurry vision.  Lyme disease is no joke and can last a lifetime.  And there are numerous other diseases that can come from ticks, chiggers, mosquitoes, bugs….  Take precautions and be vigilant.  

Glad you are getting better. Can you believe there used to be a vaccine available for it but the company stopped making it due to lack of public interest and low sales for it? I understand a new one is being developed- that will be good.

The vaccine should be available in 2025. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

GC

Grandmother has had Lyme for over 8 years now and will always be on some kind of treatment for the rest of her life.

I just heard on the news this morning that there has been 5 cases of Malaria reported being contracted in the USA for the first time in around 20 years, 4 in Florida  and 1 in Texas, there have been many other cases reported in the USA in the past 20 years but all were contracted abroad while traveling.

I've had Lyme Disease three times over the last 20 years. Pretty sure I beat it each time with antibiotics.

The best protection I have found is Insect Shield shirts or similar brand products. I wear high boots over my pant legs to keep them from crawling up my ankles. That combined with the shirts provides 100% protection. I shower and change clothes when I get home. I started wearing Insect Shield eight or so years ago and have not had a tick bite since.

I don't how many times I have been bit. A couple of years ago I was working in an area that has a couple quadrillion ticks in the spring. After work I hiked up the hill to an old river bench that had mining activity in the past. Didn't find any gold but came home with one of the five or so diseases ticks can carry. Not Limes or Rocky Mountain. They are all treated with the same antibiotic. I was down for a week. 

My coworker and I brought out all kinds of repellants to experiment with. Hiked up towards the old claim and collected ticks. We put circles of repellant on the table and a tick in each circle . None of the ticks would cross to get out. But the tick inside the circle of Permetherin crawled to the inside edge... And then died! This stuff is sprayed on your clothes and let dry and is good for many washings.

Uptah camp is tick central command !

Permethrin works great 👍but is kinda toxic before it dries...wear gloves and a respirator while applying to your clothes !😏

Cool experiment Lost Scout !