Decent Hunt But...

A few days every year I take a break from beach hunting and hit the fresh water lakes in my area. Yesterday, a friend and I were hunting in the shallow water of one such lake when my Nox 800 started acting funny. I then noticed water behind the detector's display window. 😮 Fortunately, we had an old reliable Fisher 1280-x backup detector in the car and I was able to continue the hunt and even find a couple of nice silver bracelets. The small chain in the picture was an eyeball find.

My Nox warranty expired a while ago but I will send my detector (control box only) in to the repair facility in Pennsylvania to see what my options are. I will report back on the process and results when complete.IMG_20230710_193635__01.thumb.jpg.7e1315ac1fece732c538df7426c9f7d8.jpg

IMG_20230711_112823.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 4
  • Oh my! 2

That sucks....good that you had a back-up so the day wasn't spoiled. I think if I had an older 800 and water hunted, I'd have every seam and intrusion place siliconed up. I don't care what it would look like. Nice finds by the way, freshwater is more forgiving to jewelry than salt. They look in good shape.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TampaBayBrad said:

That sucks....good that you had a back-up so the day wasn't spoiled. I think if I had an older 800 and water hunted, I'd have every seam and intrusion place siliconed up. I don't care what it would look like. Nice finds by the way, freshwater is more forgiving to jewelry than salt. They look in good shape.

I don't think I will trust the 800 in over 3ft of water anymore. That old Fisher 1280-x Aquanaut is over 30 years old and has been submerged dozens of times with no problems. On a more positive note, Minelab Repair responded right away with instructions on how to send in my control box. They reminded me that my detector is no longer under warranty so we will see what my options will be.

The US post office gave me a hard time about sending a lithium ion battery in the mail so I just went to another branch and they accepted it. Their web site states that it is okay to send a LI battery in the mail if it is part of a piece of equipment.  

• Like 1

Nice hunt with some good finds, but I am sorry to hear about the water in the Nox.

Wish you good luck on getting it fixed quickly and hope you have better luck on your next hunt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Compass said:

The US post office gave me a hard time about sending a lithium ion battery in the mail

Whenever I return something with a battery in it from Amazon, they have me print a return address label and a lithium ion label to attach. They use UPS, maybe the USPS has a similar requirement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Compass said:

They reminded me that my detector is no longer under warranty so we will see what my options will be.

You only option will be an offer for a new pod at about $400 bucks.  

VERY impressed with that small gold chain!!!! Nice Work! 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, midalake said:

You only option will be an offer for a new pod at about $400 bucks.  

VERY impressed with that small gold chain!!!! Nice Work! 

Unfortunately, you are probably right but another option may be for me to say, "No thanks, I'll will buy a brand-new, waterproof Nokta for that price."

Congrats on the bracelet finds, but sorry to hear about the Nox flooding. Hopefully Minelab will take care of that for you.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Compass said:

Unfortunately, you are probably right but another option may be for me to say, "No thanks, I'll will buy a brand-new, waterproof Nokta for that price."

You may be disappointed in small gold chain performance with that Nokta.
While I have not tested one, I can say my D2 would have struggled with a chain like that. The Equinox and Manticore are the best chain killers out there. 

• Like 2