Nokta Legend And Equinox 600/800 After Tons Of Hours Used

The Legend was released in December of 2021 so it has been for sale for 1.5 years. This is the second summer for northern hemisphere users. Maybe you are in the southern hemisphere?

The Legend I own did not perform very well on the saltwater beaches I sometimes hunt on until software version 1.09. 

I have not had any issues finding gold jewelry, small gold nuggets or any low conductors like small lead or small brass targets no matter what mode I’m using except for Park and Field M3 which I rarely use.  In fact, the first target I found with the Legend was a 10k opened hoop earring that was surrounded by safety pins. Plenty of gold targets have followed. 

• Like 6

Jeff, good write up and thank you for your well regarded opinion. Have been kicking around the prospect of getting a Legend and a good report like yours increases my interest. You answered a question I had as far as third party headphones. The ability to use after market ones for me is huge. I was reminded of that on my last outing at a city park when my earbud/transmitter set up for the 900 malfunctioned and had to use the Ml85s. Temps in the mid 80s, 4 hrs before I found a decent target and 5hrs in I found my first coin. Needless to say it wasn't the most pleasant experience. Perseverance did pay off with an old nickel spill, 4 Buffs & 2 Vs. I've learned to put up with the 900s issues except for one. Other than one 9in. silver Rosie in mild topsoil like conditions I have yet to dig any deep silver. The majority of coins I find are in the 2 to 4in. range and the deeper ones 5, maybe a few at 6. Last year using the 800 I had no problem hitting 8 in. + silver dimes and such. Looking at last years log, number of hunts pretty close to equal my silver/wheat/ Ihp is far less than half of what it was in 2022.

I've ruled out the D2 and won't consider a Manticore unless Minelab ends that proprietary headphone horsesh!t. Another thing, guys I know using the Manticore in my area are also not hitting deep coins. Have not talked to anyone since the update.

So I've got to wonder if the Legend will see deeper targets in my soil. Again thanks for your report and I will check out Iffy Signals videos.  Good luck. Mark

• Like 2

A well thought out experiment/hunt.

Thanks,

• Like 2

I've decided I'll get one the next time a second hand one pops up in the price I think is good, the one for sale at the moment isn't ideal as it's not a Pro pack and I'd want the small coil, although a great deal by the time I buy the new small coil the great deal turns into an OK deal so it's best to wait until the next person puts up a Pro Pack, they seem to pop up quite regularly and I'm in no rush as all I really want it for is to try it out, I know it's not going to be as good as my CTX and Manticore for deep silvers, and if it is I'll be shocked as a guy I know who has had all three has already told me otherwise and sold his Legend.  The Gold Mode intrigues me as nobody in NZ I know of has used one for gold nuggets so that's worth experimenting with by the sound of it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, phrunt said:

I've decided I'll get one the next time a second hand one pops up in the price I think is good,

There is a good possibility a friend is bringing the Legend to the beach in August. If so, we will put it through many tests to see how it fairs and I will do a little write-up.  

• Like 5

On 7/15/2023 at 4:27 AM, midalake said:

There is a good possibility a friend is bringing the Legend to the beach in August. If so, we will put it through many tests to see how it fairs and I will do a little write-up.  

I have used the Legend the least amount of time at saltwater beaches/surf. Having input from StarVatrex, and from you and Bill using the latest software version would definitely help complete the picture. Hopefully I will get some more beach time soon too. 

• Like 2

The legend is a very good solid unit. I was able to use it in places that the equinox 900 would not work at all due to EMI without even doing a noise cancel scan. 

No longer interested in minelab products for myself. Nothing personal to anyone who enjoys and has good luck with them.

• Like 3

I've got a few random observations about The Legend after lengthy hour beach hunt today.  Mind you, I know this detector pretty well but have been away from it for about two months.  You know how that goes.

1. The Legend is the noisiest cross talking detector I have ever used.  When I get within maybe 20 feet of another multi my Legend goes nuts as do their detectors.  This happens in particular with the Deus II and the Equinox 900.  No amount of frequency changes can stop it.  I just have to swing real wide when I encounter another hunter.  This has happened to me in the past and today I encountered it with a 900.
  2. The bottlecap reject on The Legend has me a bit befuddled.  On shallow caps, even at 0, the caps read wacky and have a different sound.  However, at depth, even at a max of 8, they still read and sound good.  The Equinox and the Apex (with its iron audio) are vastly superior to The Legend at id'ing bottlecaps at depth.  I have to play more with this but as of now I'm digging way too many bottle caps.
  3. A pulltab reads a solid 26 for all of you nickel diggers.  And it sounds good.
  4. The Legend is rock solid in wet sand at max sensitivity with no GB'ing required.
  5. The new shaft, arm cuff and coil make the detector a dream to swing.  Zero fatigue.
  6. I downloaded a copy of the manual to my phone to help navigate the embedded menus and that helped a lot.

More to come.  

Bill

• Like 5