Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

Is The Manticore Worth It? Does It Perform Better Than The Nox?

Thanks guys, all really useful info. I am fine with sacrificing some depth if it would give me a better target ID at mine sites. The video was really useful to get an impression of how it works in mineralized soil (thanks for posting Phrunt). I probably would swing much slower though, and I am curious if this would make any difference. It surely makes all the difference for my 6000 and 7000.  I know in principle that for VLF discrimination to work "well" the swing speed should be slow with strict coil control.

GC

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Manticore is an absolute beast..... I used an E‐trac for 8 years and it was a fine machine. I never used a Nox so I can't contribute there. Manticore is like a E-trac on steroids and I love its much lighter weight and its design of build. The learning curve was easier for me because it's similar to the E-trac's system just more options to tweak. I keep it simple and do not over think it with tweaks and it has produced big time. I find coins up to 12 inches in pounded out spots I hunt. First couple of hunts it blew my mind. I really hated to spend the money but it was well worth it since I will be using it for several years to come. If your on the fence don't be jump on the Manticore you won't be disappointed. Most reviews stating its an iron magnet are false, I think people are over complicating the machine and tweaking it way to much. Just let it do its magic. IMO most targets 8 inches or deeper are going to be iffy targets most of the time but the Manticore easily weeds out the iron over the E-trac. The target trace absolutely is amazing technology and a game changer in the art of metal detecting. I avoid ATHC because that I believe is the iron magnet and stay on ATG and have no issues digging iron or target ID separation. I have no issue digging deep targets around 10 inches running sensitivity around 16 to 18 so no need to run it at full capacity IMO. HAPPY HUNTING !

• Like 4

I definitely dig more iron with the Manti than I did with the Nox, but I am sure that I am getting better separation with the Manti. I have no desire to go back to the Nox, at least for park hunting. I think that the line between ferrous and non-ferrous is not sharp, but blurry, so you have the choice of digging only non-ferrous and missing some good targets, or digging more iron and recovering more non-ferrous mixed with iron. The Manti is more like the latter. I have dug more items with both brass and iron components, such as pocket knives, D-ring buckles with an iron tang, etc. with the Manti than I did with the Nox. As far as depth, I have not noticed a big difference in my soil, but separation, that is what impresses me.

• Like 3

On 10/7/2023 at 8:39 AM, BigSkyGuy said:

I think that the line between ferrous and non-ferrous is not sharp, but blurry, so you have the choice of digging only non-ferrous and missing some good targets, or digging more iron and recovering more non-ferrous mixed with iron. The Manti is more like the latter

I feel the same way too.. now I'm trying to find a way to differentiate a good iffy target vs a bad iffy target. I ran ATG and use ATLC to cross check help a bit.. but for now what I did mostly was dug some of the top layer and recheck the target again..

• Like 2

It is a lot better than E800. It is not possible to compare it. You can easily analyze the targets by 2D graph and sound, but... but you need to turn 90 degrees above the target to recheck. 

• Like 1

Deeper, better processing and the graph is a gold hunters dream.

cjc

• Like 3

I'd like to know why too? Many targets give a nice dot along the middle line and the pull tabs that hang around the gold area also do so it hasn't made gold rings any easier to find over the Nox has it? 

Maybe I just don't know the tricks as I rarely find gold rings ?

• Like 1

On 10/11/2023 at 10:45 AM, phrunt said:

I'd like to know why too? Many targets give a nice dot along the middle line and the pull tabs that hang around the gold area also do so it hasn't made gold rings any easier to find over the Nox has it? 

Maybe I just don't know the tricks as I rarely find gold rings ?

There is no trick Phrunt, but I think you know that ?

Target Trace / 2D is just an ID plotter. An ID plotter can't discern aluminum trash from gold jewelry any differently than regular old ID can. Well, both of those can't do it at all. To discern aluminum trash from gold jewelry, would require something much more technologically sophisticated, and much less crude than induction balance detectors.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1