10 Year Smoke Alarm 9 Volt Lithium Ion Battery For Garrett Carrot

Wife has me changing all the batteries in our smoke alarms...they are hard wired but also have the 10 year 9 volt batteries installed...they are 6 years old and was going to throw them away but then decided to try one in the pinpointer...seems to work fine...anyone try these before ? I realize they are basically back up batteries in the smoke alarm but I’m wondering it they would last longer then the regular Duracell 9 volts that I’ve been buying...

strick

• Like 4

Yes, the 9V Lithium batteries work just fine in the AT pinpointer. I keep one in my digging bag for back up to the regular NiMH rechargeable I use for everyday.  Not only do they have a long shelf life & run time, they are also pretty much leak free. Work well in cold weather too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Yes, the Energizer Lithium 9v batteries work quite well in the Carrot and significantly extend the run time. They also have a higher nominal voltage (9.2v) compared to a Duracell which is slightly below 9v even when brand new. However, they are very expensive and the case is slightly larger than standard. Therefore, they will not fit in all of my pinpointers such as the Minelab Pro-Find 35.

I’ve since switched over to USB rechargeable Li-ion batteries that have a true 9v nominal voltage and triple the run time of the Duracell. They pay for themselves quickly and provide more stable performance in my Pro-Find 35…

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09Y33LRYX/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_8?smid=A199RS8QUBC7IQ&psc=1

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

How long have you been using them V3i? Shenmz are Shenzhen Shenmeizi Technology Co Ltd batteries and they've been known to over-rate their batteries power ratings, but they make a lot of generic brands and Shenmz is the brand directly linked to their name so they maybe their better-quality batteries, they seem to mostly make aftermarket phone batteries but that's becoming a dying business with phones having batteries that can no longer be changed.    If you're still happy with them after about 6 months of use I'd be interested in getting some.

I use the PowerEX TRUE 9.6v NiMH batteries with good success.

Amazon.com: Powerex MHR9V Powerex 9.6V 230mAh 1-Pack Rechargeable Battery : Health & Household

• Like 4

I’ve been using those 9v USB Li-ion’s for almost a year now and I’m very happy with them. They measure 9v on my multimeter, when freshly charged, and hold that voltage until fully discharged. Alkaline’s typically start out below 9v and continue to drop until they die… That voltage drop was contributing to instability with some of my pinpointers.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the mAh rating is inflated but I do not have the equipment to test it. Also, they don’t hold a charge as long as alkaline’s when sitting idle, so plan on charging them every six months to keep them fresh. The set does come with a USB cable that charges 2 batteries simultaneously which is convenient.

At less than $20 shipped for 4 batteries (in the US) the price was comparable to name brand alkalines. When taking into consideration the cost and performance advantages it was an easy decision for me.

• Like 5

On 8/6/2023 at 7:37 PM, V3i/MXT Pro said:

Yes, the Energizer Lithium 9v batteries work quite well in the Carrot and significantly extend the run time. They also have a higher nominal voltage (9.2v) compared to a Duracell which is slightly below 9v even when brand new. However, they are very expensive and the case is slightly larger than standard. Therefore, they will not fit in all of my pinpointers such as the Minelab Pro-Find 35.

I agree Energizer Lithium 9v are excellent batteries but they are very ( too ? ) expensive knowing that they re not rechargeable 

• Like 2

I use to use them in my Troy X5,even with a normal battery they lasted a long time in that machine but when using those Lithium Iron battery they seem to last forever,yes very expensive but the longer battery life made up for it.....i absolutely hated that machine bought it brand new and it was not cheap but oh boy i did like iron,so after 2 odd years it went and that is the only detector that i have ever sold.

• Like 2

Been using the rechargeable lithium 9v as well as aa's. Have had the aa's going on 6 years now, they look like hell but still run good.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 6/8/2023 at 14:03, phrunt said:

¿Cuánto tiempo llevas usándolos V3i? Shenmz son baterías de Shenzhen Shenmeizi Technology Co Ltd y se sabe que sobrevaloran la potencia de sus baterías, pero fabrican muchas marcas genéricas y Shenmz es la marca directamente vinculada a su nombre, por lo que tal vez sean sus baterías de mejor calidad. Parece que en su mayoría fabrican baterías para teléfonos no originales, pero ese se está convirtiendo en un negocio en decadencia, ya que los teléfonos tienen baterías que ya no se pueden cambiar. Si todavía estás satisfecho con ellos después de aproximadamente 6 meses de uso, me interesaría conseguir algunos.

Utilizo las baterías PowerEX TRUE 9.6v NiMH con buen éxito.

Amazon.com: Powerex MHR9V Powerex 9,6 V 230 mAh 1 paquete de batería recargable: Health & Household

Yes, the Powerex give excellent performance, I have been using them for more than 3 years and they hold the charge very well, the voltage is around 11v when just charged.

On 8/9/2023 at 5:38 AM, palzynski said:

I agree Energizer Lithium 9v are excellent batteries but they are very ( too ? ) expensive knowing that they re not rechargeable 

Yes they are able to be recharged, go to Amazon and type in 9 volt lithium battery charger and it will pull up several of them.

• Like 1