Snakes, Thorns And Other Causes For Concern

Rad Rocks

Mountain lions…I had a confrontational encounter with one back in 1992… actually thought it was gonna escalate to a fight and it scared the crap out of me. A few years ago, I was down a local creek and casually glanced up the hill, only to see a large cat head poking up out of the grass beneath a big oak tree… we stared at each other for a few minutes until it snuck off up the hill… prior to that first encounter I wandered up and down the canyons of Northern Ca. unarmed and unconcerned about wildlife…from then on, I won’t head out unless I’m either armed or with others who are…

Tweakers and cats

• Like 1

In southern AZ, my father in law had one (mtn lion) stalking him and was able to scare iit away with a gun. As I've mentioned on this site before, I generally will not prospect without some small gun.  Rabies is another concern, as well.

As for snakes, I wear guards. Hunting at night, people expect that I would always run into them, but not so. If in boulder areas or especially water areas, this would be different.  But I've spent many many night hunts without a strike. I see more in the daytime.  ButI purposely make a lot of noise so they know I am coming. 

And Ido not wear headphones at night.

On 9/2/2023 at 11:01 PM, Rad Rocks said:

Whether it be Rattlesnakes, Water Moccasins, Thorns, Gators, Cacti, or anything else some of us may have never thought of

“Mountain Gal Sal” illegitimate great granddaughter to a mountain trapper by the name of Monte Wolfe. At the end of a hot day she spends more time soaking in the spring pond than the bears. She runs with a coyote, as a fashion statement she wraps a rubber boa snake around her neck and shares her table with a lowly opossom. You can’t imagine how many of her spring water coffees tasted of toe fungus. 

But as she is fond of saying “ Coffee’s coffee no matter how homely the company”.

Here’s a link to the demise of Monte Wolfe:

https://www.calaverashistory.org/files/f6e40e1f5/monte_vgl_book.pdf

It's always a good idea to keep your local flower shop on speed dial, just incase you forget your tool box on the porch and your wife notices your detector is gone. Some people overlook the real dangers in life. I'll take a snake bite over a cold shoulder any day of the week. Just sayin

• Haha 1

On 9/28/2023 at 7:45 PM, Gold Ryder said:

Outside Helena Montana today. Massive prairie rattler

I’ve run into timber rattlers about half that long but just as thick. Ain’t no mountain buffalos for them to prey on. As a youth awoke one morning with a rattler and brush rabbit wrestling between my exposed feet. Sleep with my boots on to this day. Them brush rabbits are dangerous.