An Unusual Beach

Yesterday I went out to a beach I haven't been to in a while and conditions were right in one location to produce some unusual finds.  I found seven worn wheats, one silver dime (1959), an old Mexican coin (1940) and a medallion from Progress Refrigerator Company.

That company was also the Louisville Tin and Stove Company started in 1888.  The medallion says over 50 years of Progress so ... who knows when the medallion was made.  One thing I did learn was that Progress made the vintage Coke coolers that are sold on eBay and other places.  Interesting research and maybe someone out there knows more.

The stuff was in a 50 yard stretch of beach and most of it was covered in a green patina.  I normally use vinegar to remove it but this time I tried something different.  I used Costco (Kirkland) sparkling water and it fizzed and fizzed the stuff away, perhaps better than vinegar.  I still lost my thumb nails with chipping it away.

IMG_20230907_102429_961[1].jpg

IMG_20230907_102513_046[1].jpg

Very nice hunt again from you.

Good luck on your next hunt and stay safe out there.

1 hour ago, Badger-NH said:

I would keep hitting that beach.  👍

I went back yesterday and my first target was a silver quarter that the date can't be read.  Only a few other objects.  Waves have lessened.

Nice older coins. Are you using the Nox or the GPX?

I'm using the 800/15 with your Minelab bag!  haha

On 9/9/2023 at 12:15 AM, mn90403 said:

I'm using the 800/15 with your Minelab bag!  haha

Hopefully it doesn't have a hole in it 😶. Take out that GPX and see what's really there.  Those green coins always make me think silver.

• 5 months later...

Interesting cleaning tip. I haven't had much luck with vinegar, but going to try the sparkling water idea. It's worth a shot.