I’m A New In Metal Detecting Is My New Hobby

Hi everyone, I’m from Philly and I started my new hobby as metal detector, as a long distance runner for a while I’m trying to get into this new thing which I like to, reading about all the metal detecting is differently from the people who are using them, so I will appreciate your help and advice, my detector comes tomorrow and I can’t wait until I get my hands on, help me please , have a great day guys 

7 hours ago, Griva Run said:

Hi everyone, I’m from Philly and I started my new hobby as metal detector, as a long distance runner for a while I’m trying to get into this new thing which I like to, reading about all the metal detecting is differently from the people who are using them, so I will appreciate your help and advice, my detector comes tomorrow and I can’t wait until I get my hands on, help me please , have a great day guys 

Welcome to the forum. What detector did you buy?

Your introduction caught my eye and reminded me of the British series "Detectorists", where they correct people that call us "Metal Detectors" 🤣

We are "Detectorists".p0dpccnp.thumb.jpg.a887c13bb6e39f9a9effe4f1dface476.jpg

I personally like being called a "Treasure Hunter" by attractive moms on the beach explaining what I'm doing to the kids. 😎

Looking forward to your questions and experiences. Read the manual that comes with your new purchase fully, even if you don't understand some of it, you'll find it makes sense later. Read it again later too.

Look at websites that show the laws where you plan to detect, other than your own property and most beaches you need permission to swing that thing! Fines and prison time are not fun.

The most important thing is getting out there and learning your machine, we can help if you have questions.

Good luck. 🍀

5 minutes ago, Griva Run said:

Thank you for the reply and I’m sorry I forgot to tell you guys what kind of detector I got, is a Minelab Vanquish 540 , can you please tell me what pointer is good enough for a beginner, thanks 

Sure can, the most common and really best pinpointer is the legendary "Garrett Carrot":

https://www.amazon.com/Garrett-1140900-Pro-Pointer-Waterproof-Pinpointing/dp/B00TADH9HA

That's just an Amazon listing to show you what it looks like, but if you have a local detector shop you can check it out. 🙂 great one to start with.

Welcome to the forum from uptah camp Griva Run !😎

That Vanquish is a good first choice .  Let us know how it's working for you.

I agree with 350's Garrett pointer suggestion.  I'd guess those outnumber all of the other ones combined out in the field. 

The cheapest pinpointer is the one built into the detector , Try to use that while waiting for a dedicated device. 

Beware of cheap knock offs of detectors, especially pin pointers. It is always best to purchase from a real detector dealer.  The frustration of poor quality/performance is no bargain.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the same boat as you, have been interested in metal detecting for some time, and just bought a detector (Nokta Legend) a week or so ago. I live in northern Nevada, and have a lot of interesting places to explore (ghost towns, abandoned  mines, and abandoned cabins as well as the possibility of finding gold!

This site seems to be a good place, populated by good people, to learn the art of detecting, I'm inching my way up the learning curve, but still have a long way to go..... enjoy the journey!!...... 

On 9/20/2023 at 5:37 AM, F350Platinum said:

I personally like being called a "Treasure Hunter" by attractive moms on the beach explaining what I'm doing to the kids. 😎

Most places I go hunting, I get sideway's glances from adults and lots of attention from kids. If an adult asks me what I'm doing I just tell them I'm a poor, homeless, street person looking for coins and recyclable aluminum with a detector that costs more than a good used car. That usually breaks the ice or sends them running in the opposite direction.

On 9/20/2023 at 5:51 AM, Griva Run said:

Thank you for the reply and I’m sorry I forgot to tell you guys what kind of detector I got, is a Minelab Vanquish 540 , can you please tell me what pointer is good enough for a beginner, thanks 

Welcome to this hobby and to this forum. 

The Vanquish 540 is an outstanding metal detector for someone who is a newbie.

Good luck and keep posting!