Fun Hunt At The Lake

Compass

I'd say that 80% or more of my hunts are at the beach and I usually use my pulse detectors there. However, when the beaches aren't productive I am fortunate to have some lakes to hunt. On one recent hunt I was hunting a lake with my Nox 800 (and its new control pod) and without using the headphones. I almost always wear headphones when I detect as they are hardwired into most of my water rated machines. Even with the Nox I typically use waterproof headphones because I work in deep water where the speaker is below the water surface.

However, this hunt was along the shore in the wet sand and shallow water of a quiet lake so I decided to go without the headphones and what a pleasant experience that was! It was so nice to hear the background noise and wear a wide-brimmed hat to protect my face and neck from the sun.

I also had a very memorable experience made possible by the Nox TID display. Working in the wet sand I got a strong "19-20" TID readout and when I looked down I saw a semi-circle sliver of yellow gold flush with the sand's surface (see below). I brushed away enough sand to see a complete circle of gold confirming that it was a ring and not just an earring or some other piece of jewelry. It looked like a skinny ring but here is the coolest part - when I have found gold rings in the "19-20" range they have always been fairly sizeable so I called over my buddy and said, "watch this nice big ring come out." It's no monster but 6.5 grams of 10k is always welcome. It was a great day!

IMG_20231007_105005.jpg

IMG_20231007_105025.jpg

IMG_20231007_151934__01.jpg

I think 10 KFG stands for 10 Karat Fool's Gold 😅. Beauty of a ring and a very nice weight. Nothing like seeing a gold rim and have it actually turn out to be a gold ring. 🤗

Maker was Frederick Goldman, Inc. Dates from 1985 onward. Nice!

fg-73528309.jpg

3 hours ago, rvpopeye said:

Nice zincoln Compass ! 👍  

Makes it worth digging all the other 19-20s that actually are zincs.😏 

I like going without headphones sometimes in quieter areas. 

Let yer ears breath.

Thanks rvp, I actually get a bit excited when I see those "18-20" TIDs near the water. Sure, most of them are zinc pennies but big gold rings are in that range too! I hunt in "gold" mode quite a bit which is very chatty. Not wearing headphones makes the chatter a lot less annoying.

3 hours ago, schoolofhardNox said:

I think 10 KFG stands for 10 Karat Fool's Gold 😅. Beauty of a ring and a very nice weight. Nothing like seeing a gold rim and have it actually turn out to be a gold ring. 🤗

Thank you School. Getting a "preview" of the gold is an awesome experience. Another similar circumstance is finding a little bit of a gold chain sticking out of the sand and pulling on it only to find 1 or 2 more feet of chain and maybe even a gold pendant behind it! 😮

2 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

That's a beauty, Compass, congrats! 😎

Thanks CPT, Funny how something can be plain and beautiful at the same time. 🙂

1 hour ago, BigSkyGuy said:

Maker was Frederick Goldman, Inc. Dates from 1985 onward. Nice!

fg-73528309.jpg

Thanks BSG, I used to think that this stamp was F6 . Now that I have found a few and know the maker I really welcome finding them - good quality jewelry! 🙂 

1 hour ago, matt said:

CPT_Ghostlight found a white gold ring from the same maker a couple days ago. He posted about it in the Deus ii forum. Strange coincidence!

Thanks for letting me know Matt. I really enjoyed reading his post (and yours). I was stationed at Pearl Harbor for a couple of years when I was in the Navy and loved it in Hawaii. I was even able to do some metal detecting there back in the late 70's.

Nice play by play and reveal Compass! your doing great...lakes are where its at just don't tell anyone lol. FG makes some nice rings... have one in my collection from a park hunt a few years ago. I think I'll call them fools gold from now on...  because any fool that goes out and digs thousands of pull tabs deserves a nice piece of gold once in a while 🙂

strick 

48 minutes ago, strick said:

Nice play by play and reveal Compass! your doing great...lakes are where its at just don't tell anyone lol. FG makes some nice rings... have one in my collection from a park hunt a few years ago. I think I'll call them fools gold from now on...  because any fool that goes out and digs thousands of pull tabs deserves a nice piece of gold once in a while 🙂

strick 

Thanks strick. The last couple of months have been good hunting for me and, surprisingly, the lakes have been a big part of that. However, the amount of trash at the lakes can be mind-boggling. I think the trick is to celebrate each pull-tab as being one step closer to the gold. 🙂