GPX 6000 Garrett Axiom TDI 14.4v Sub Gram Targets Test

• The title was changed to GPX 6000 Garrett Axiom TDI 14.4v Sub Gram Targets Test

Looks very competitive.  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Looks very competitive.  

So far on those two dirt samples with those targets I agree. Very competitive for sure. 

• Like 1

It would have been interesting to toss the VLF of your choice into that test. I think people would find that the new multi models like the Equinox, Manticore, and Deus 2 are on par or better than the TDI overall for nugget hunting. Given that they have discrimination and the TDI does not, well, I’d only really use a TDI for beach detecting these days, and then mainly because you can turn the ground balance off, giving it some real chops as a beach detector. As far as nugget detecting goes the TDI is easily outclassed by newer PI models. Not what TDI fans ( I am one by the way) like to hear, but it has actually been that way for a long time now.

• Like 7

My only question is why run the TDI at 14.4v? The nominal is 14.8, and the max is 16.8. I'd bet my SL would give a response to that .1 gram nugget, since it gives a response to a 1 grain piece. Granted, it's not a 6000, or Axiom, but it didn't cost me thousands, either.

Jim

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Jim in Idaho said:

My only question is why run the TDI at 14.4v? The nominal is 14.8, and the max is 16.8. I'd bet my SL would give a response to that .1 gram nugget, since it gives a response to a 1 grain piece. Granted, it's not a 6000, or Axiom, but it didn't cost me thousands, either.

Jim

Hi Jim,

I did not say that the TDI Pulse Scan modded by Reg was running at 14.4V. I used the nominal voltage written on the Whites battery to make sure that readers  of this post knew that the TDI I was using was a big box TDI and not an SL. I charged up the battery using the stock Whites charger. Where that charger cuts off is the amount of voltage that the battery being used was charged to.

I have had an SL fry on me using jacked up batteries. I am not doing that anymore.

This was not an air test.

The 0.1 gram gold nugget target was detectable by the TDI with the Sadie coil using those settings in air testing.

This was an in the ground test using containers of very mineralized dirt with plenty of magnetite particles and volcanic material.

I did not try to make the TDI I was testing look bad. However, its single channel ground balance system could not handle those dirt samples as well as the other two detectors. 

• Like 1

Nice test Jeff. Thanks for sharing the results. Did you try running the 6000 in difficult on the Colorado dirt. Just wondered if there would be a better or worse response on those targets.

• Like 1

Difficult vs Normal on the Colorado dirt would be my preference. However, my main concern at the place where I did the test was EMI. Normal was a bit quieter than Difficult.......go figure.

If there had been little or no EMI, I could have run the GPX 6000 at Manual 8 at least and those results would have been even better for sure. 

• Like 1