Big News From Coiltek For Nox And Xterra Pro Users

GR Guy

6 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

an elliptical coil form factor gives you that additional coverage at a substantially lower weight penalty and with roughly equivalent depth vs. a round coil

Good point Chase.. I've had a look at some other 17'' plus size coils for VLF detectors (photos in another post) and most are elliptical (22x19'' - 21x17'' - 18x15'' - 17x15'' - 17x13'').. Minelab are all tooled up to make 17x13'' coils for the CTX so I've always hoped they'd come up with one for the Equinox as well, especially now the Nox 700/900 and the X-Terra Pro have been released.. This 18'' Coiltek coil somewhat breaches the gap, sure it's a mega jump up from a round 15'' but I hope that on my coral sand beaches and mild soils it'll give me a bit more depth on old silver coins..

I also like the coverage of big coils for long stretches of beach when the tide is chasing me back up, just to be sure I don't miss anything.. Here the fact that the target will move again after the tides come through means that coverage is more important than depth.. But yeah, still wish Minelab had got there before with a Nox 17x13'' coil before Coiltek plugged that hole in the market with a round 18'' coil.. 

• Like 2

Minelab don't like stepping too much on other model's toes, so as long as the CTX exists, the 17x13" will remain for the CTX only I think, it remains the deepest of their detectors in mild soil conditions in the VLF type detectors, I think the CTX is what you need Erik, find some clown selling one and snap it up 🙂   In your coral sands it would be the king for sure and it loves silvers.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/30/2023 at 3:43 AM, phrunt said:

It would be interesting to find the coil size that absolutely maxes out the Equinox depth and then just elliptical it and I wouldn't be surprised if its 12" or 13" wide is the optimal size.

You'll probably turn out right Phrunt, we'll have Minelab and Coiltek scrambling all over their workshops to dust-off their plans for a large elliptical Nox coil (whatever size that might be).. I've edited this post because I just saw your above explaining why Minelab's not keen on a 17x13'' coil for the Nox.. In the meantime, I'll give the 18'' a go (when I get it) at a few spots where the round 15'' has sniffed out small silver coins at 40-50 cm deep in wet salty coral sand.. If the 18'' coil can find coins deeper than that I'll be truly impressed.. For me, that would be a hell of a Max Depth for the Equinox..  

And yeah, I'll find some clown and hit him up for his CTX or maybe swap it for the Deus II.. 😁

• Like 3

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

I think the CTX is what you need Erik, find some clown selling one and snap it up 🙂

Here's two CTXs on eBay right now for under $2000.. that 17x13'' coil sure looks tempting.. :ohmy:

Screenshot 2023-10-31 102805.png

Screenshot 2023-10-31 102714.png

I guess I am an extremist, I see little use for very large Round coils and always prefer elliptical shaped coils.

In fact I would like to see a Big Foot style coil for ALL VLF detectors and even Pi machines if possible. AND see actual head to head comparisons of coils like the 18 inch round and Big Foot shaped and elliptical coils.!  The ultimate big coil is one with great coverage, but light, that screams elliptical or even narrower with whatever length needed for depth, this gives the added benefit of being able to use it in tight spots large round coils just cannot do.

• Like 1

Hey All - some great discussion here on the 'Why' of another coil option... and of course there are those that see the purpose and have the need and those that are OK with what they have and you know that is super fine with us.

This coil was brought to market due to a large amount of requests from different regions in the globe for a large coin and treasure coil. So essentially we researched the idea of a big coil and how it would work and where it may suit, discussed it with Minelab and they also saw that it will fill a gap, ran the prototypes and field trials and here we go - the 18" NOX.

Coiltek has always filled gaps for gold and treasure hunters with the Minelab detectors and they all have their purpose. We liken it to a golfer with his/her kit of clubs... each has a purpose and a strength for the right shot. Some you wouldn't use in certain situations as it would be a waste of effort and be frustrating. Sometimes you would go to a course and not even use a certain club, but you know its there if you need it. Like myself (try hard golfer) I like having the kit and and stuff that a golfer needs but will only use a club when I feel confident it will do a job that I want and I know what will work in certain situations.

The 18" is this type of coil you have in the kit for a specific need and the terrain that will allow it to swing well and free of obstruction. Deep treasure, coins or relics would be its forte with the smaller jewelry and coins needing to be closer to the surface to be picked up. Yes this coil is not made for sensitivity even though its good for its size, the smaller coils are best for the shallower smaller targets in general as most would expect. Our UK tester found several Danarius coins at over 18" deep on ground he had searched before with all types of detector and coil combos (even manticore) and the 18" NOX and GPX5000 with our 18" ELITE were the only ones to get more targets.

We are realistic...

We know its not going to be a coil for everyone - that's OK but for those that use it it will perform well

We know the coil is heavier due to its size and epoxy resin filling - but it is robust and can take some serious prospecting

We know most will use it with a detecting harness to help with the weight - plenty to choose from on the market

We know certain regions love big coils - Middle east, UK, Europe and Asia but maybe not US, AUST or some EURO countries

We know it will be a deeper searching coil than the 15"NOX with larger targets - the bigger the target the more depth gain

The whole Coiltek team are excited to release this coil and hope it will benefit a bunch of enthusiasts and professionals who believe this coil will suit their specific detecting needs. Once it is in the market I am sure there will be several reports and videos being released so others can see how it operates. I am always super nervous and anxious at any new coil release... and also very excited to see how it goes. We have done our best to get it right and now its up to us to prove we can replicate the performance with every coil.

Trev @ Coiltek

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Coiltek said:

Hey All - some great discussion here on the 'Why' of another coil option... and of course there are those that see the purpose and have the need and those that are OK with what they have and you know that is super fine with us.

This coil was brought to market due to a large amount of requests from different regions in the globe for a large coin and treasure coil. So essentially we researched the idea of a big coil and how it would work and where it may suit, discussed it with Minelab and they also saw that it will fill a gap, ran the prototypes and field trials and here we go - the 18" NOX.

Coiltek has always filled gaps for gold and treasure hunters with the Minelab detectors and they all have their purpose. We liken it to a golfer with his/her kit of clubs... each has a purpose and a strength for the right shot. Some you wouldn't use in certain situations as it would be a waste of effort and be frustrating. Sometimes you would go to a course and not even use a certain club, but you know its there if you need it. Like myself (try hard golfer) I like having the kit and and stuff that a golfer needs but will only use a club when I feel confident it will do a job that I want and I know what will work in certain situations.

The 18" is this type of coil you have in the kit for a specific need and the terrain that will allow it to swing well and free of obstruction. Deep treasure, coins or relics would be its forte with the smaller jewelry and coins needing to be closer to the surface to be picked up. Yes this coil is not made for sensitivity even though its good for its size, the smaller coils are best for the shallower smaller targets in general as most would expect. Our UK tester found several Danarius coins at over 18" deep on ground he had searched before with all types of detector and coil combos (even manticore) and the 18" NOX and GPX5000 with our 18" ELITE were the only ones to get more targets.

We are realistic...

We know its not going to be a coil for everyone - that's OK but for those that use it it will perform well

We know the coil is heavier due to its size and epoxy resin filling - but it is robust and can take some serious prospecting

We know most will use it with a detecting harness to help with the weight - plenty to choose from on the market

We know certain regions love big coils - Middle east, UK, Europe and Asia but maybe not US, AUST or some EURO countries

We know it will be a deeper searching coil than the 15"NOX with larger targets - the bigger the target the more depth gain

The whole Coiltek team are excited to release this coil and hope it will benefit a bunch of enthusiasts and professionals who believe this coil will suit their specific detecting needs. Once it is in the market I am sure there will be several reports and videos being released so others can see how it operates. I am always super nervous and anxious at any new coil release... and also very excited to see how it goes. We have done our best to get it right and now its up to us to prove we can replicate the performance with every coil.

Trev @ Coiltek

Trev

Thanks for posting here on DP.  Any chance that you can comment on the possibility of Coiltek offering some Manticore compatible coil offerings in the future?  Thanks.

Chase - Moderator

• Like 1

A total stab in the dark here but i dont think i am wrong 'UK Tester and Coiltek and Minelab' = Gordon Heritage 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coiltek said:

Manticore coils.... maybe!

What sizes do you think are missing in the current line up?

Trev

Great post Trevor, I agree with it 100%, some will love this big 18" coil, especially in Europe.  I'm sure it will be a hit with the right people looking for the right targets and any gap that's filled when it comes to coils is appreciated.   I may end up with one myself although I'm trying to move off my Equinox onto the Manticore.  Trying being the word as in some ways I prefer the Equinox, and it has a far better range of coils to go with it.

As for the Manticore, please, please, pretty please with a cherry on top make a 6.5x3.5 solid epoxy filled coil for heavy trash, and of course the ultimate prospecting coil for small gold. 

The other one would be a big coil, even the existing 18" coil from the Equinox if that could be adapted to the Manticore it would make sense although ideally, I'd prefer a 17x13".

• Like 3