Big News From Coiltek For Nox And Xterra Pro Users

GR Guy

You never know till you buy them and try them out....judging from how long it has taken Coiltek to come out with these accessory coils we are looking at what 3 years or more for multiple coil releases for the M-Core. 

strick

• Oh my! 1

Nice one Coiltek! That's almost the coil of my dreams.. On my beaches I reckon a bigger coil can hit targets just out of reach of the 15''.. I'm thinking deep silver coins which I normally have to wait for huge tides to move layers of sand before I can get to them.. Also at low tides at the back of some bays it could be good for coins and silver jewellery.. When it gets released I'll definitely buy one.. I'm not going to crow on about game-changer or anything like that but I've got a feeling that I've been missing out on deep silver which I can probably get to with this 18'' coil.. 

Also the Coiltek 15'' is already a deep monster on my beaches.. and their little wading coil (14''x9'') is also a ripper.. Coiltek looks after beach hunters.. 😁   

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Erik Oostra said:

Nice one Coiltek! That's the coil of my dreams.. On my beaches I reckon a bigger coil can hit targets just out of reach of the 15''.. I'm thinking deep silver coins which I normally have to wait for huge tides to move layers of sand before I can get to them.. Also at low tides at the back of some bays it could be good for deep coins and silver jewellery.. When it gets released I'll definitely buy one.. I'm not going to crow on about game-changer or anything like that but I've got a feeling that I've been missing out on deep silver which I can probably get to with this 18'' coil.. 

Also the Coiltek 15'' is already a deep monster on my beaches.. and their little wading coil (14''x9'') is also a ripper.. Coiltek look after beach hunters.. 😁   

We want 'em to look after land lubbers! 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If I was a coil manufacturer, I would be using the power of social media and forums such as this to ask which types of coils people wanted, and use that information to provide them what they need, if you want good sales provide product a bulk of the people want, not small niche products.  I'd love this coil but I suspect a majority of people wouldn't even consider it.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2023 at 4:29 AM, cudamark said:

I would assume that Coiltek has done some research, both demand and performance, or they wouldn't have tooled up to make this coil. I welcome any and all coil choices they can come up with. I like having a full tool box.

Spot on Cudamark.. I like Coiltek coils for the same reasons.. I'm not counting on some miracle VLF coil that works outside the laws of physics but Coiltek wouldn't have bothered if they didn't think it would work.. On milder soils or beaches without much black sand an 18'' coil will be another very handy tool in the toolbox..

This is also another reason why I'm sticking to my Noxes (600/800), it's great having a huge range of coils available for my favourite detectors.. At least as far as Nox coils go, I'm glad Minelab let Coiltek into the fold.. My Deus II sits on the shelf most of the time (unless it's underwater) because it's way outgunned by the choice of coils I can use with the Nox.. I also like a full toolbox..  

The 18'' coil weighs just over a kilo (1050 grams), the Coiltek 15'' weighs 836g, the Minelab 15''x12'' weighs 660g and the Coiltek 14''x9'' weighs a whopping 790g.. So the 18'' coil will feel a bit heavier to swing but it'll be worth it for the extra coverage.. not necessarily covering a large stretch of beach any faster but far more thoroughly.. And an evenly-balanced kilo is not really that heavy when you're swinging over smooth sandy beaches, lawn picnic areas or sport fields, compared to in the bush where these big 'spoke' coils get caught up in tussocks and shrubbery.. 

On some of my beaches and dry creek beds I run the ML15x12 and CT15 on single frequency (4 or 5 kHz) to hunt old silver coins, in comparison I've found that the CT15 sniffs out deeper and smaller coins than the ML15x12.. If I can etch out another two or three inches with this big coil using these frequencies I'll be a happy fella..    

• Like 5

Let's just say for example the depth of the VLF detector is tapped out at 13" for coil size, then is an 18" round really beneficial just to get extra ground coverage? Would something like a 17x13" be the better option? You would get the good ground coverage, maximum possible depth and you should get a lighter coil, the 14x9" Coiltek made heavy for water use on purpose but as you can see the 15x12" ML coil is quite a bit lighter than the 15" round.

I must say on my CTX I use the 17x13" as my primary coin hunting coil, and feel it gives me maximum depth along with ground coverage.  I think it's the ideal size big coil for a VLF type detector, the large rounds just don't seem logical with VLF depths far more limited than that of a PI.  

It would be interesting to find the coil size that absolutely maxes out the Equinox depth and then just elliptical it and I wouldn't be surprised if its 12" or 13" wide is the optimal size.

have the 15" round for my T2, it's laughable, a big heavy pointless coil, no extra depth over a 12x13" coil but a whole lot of extra weight.

I'm not saying this coil is a bad coil, I have no idea I've never used it, I'd love to own it, I do just wonder if a bigger elliptical would have been better.  Either way I use my VLF's for deep coin hunting, so this coil is certainly of interest, I'll hold off until reports start flowing before jumping on it though.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, phrunt said:

Let's just say for example the depth of the VLF detector is tapped out at 13" for coil size, then is an 18" round really beneficial just to get extra ground coverage? Would something like a 17x13" be the better option? You would get the good ground coverage, maximum possible depth and you should get a lighter coil, the 14x9" Coiltek made heavy for water use on purpose but as you can see the 15x12" ML coil is quite a bit lighter than the 15" round.

I must say on my CTX I use the 17x13" as my primary coin hunting coil, and feel it gives me maximum depth along with ground coverage.  I think it's the ideal size big coil for a VLF type detector, the large rounds just don't seem logical with VLF depths far more limited than that of a PI.  

It would be interesting to find the coil size that absolutely maxes out the Equinox depth and then just elliptical it and I wouldn't be surprised if its 12" or 13" wide is the optimal size.

have the 15" round for my T2, it's laughable, a big heavy pointless coil, no extra depth over a 12x13" coil but a whole lot of extra weight.

I'm not saying this coil is a bad coil, I have no idea I've never used it, I'd love to own it, I do just wonder if a bigger elliptical would have been better.  Either way I use my VLF's for deep coin hunting, so this coil is certainly of interest, I'll hold off until reports start flowing before jumping on it though.

Interesting theory, it states it goes deeper than the 15” so maybe the depth doesn’t tap out shallower

13 minutes ago, GR Guy said:

Interesting theory, it states it goes deeper than the 15” so maybe the depth doesn’t tap out shallower

I'm dubious about manufacturer depth statements as it seems like they tend to find optimal conditions and targets, i.e. an air test on a coke can to determine these sort of statements 🙂  Minelab copped a lot of flak for their percentages they were saying with some coils or detectors in their marketing and don't seem to do it anymore, the only real answer as to how deep a coil is would be, it varies, no way to tell you this.

It's all relative to target size and ground conditions more than anything so what size target does the 18" become deeper than the 15x12" or 15" round, is it a coin, a coke can, a 40-gallon drum?  Do you need to be in very mild soil to benefit from the depth increases with the larger coil seeing more ground? There are so many variables to consider, coral sand beach hunters sound like they'll benefit from it well.

Minelab were even careful on their website for the 15x12" to state it's for specialized treasure hunting, more so than an everyday coil as much of the 15x12"' benefits can also be reduced by ground type and target size.

This is a monster of a coil for a VLF, the only other big coil that seemed commonly marketed was the Nel Big at 15x17", not sure if anyone has one but I'd like to hear their thoughts on it compared to other coils for depth to get a bit of an idea what to expect from this Coiltek coil.  The Nel weighs in at 920 grams, so a little lighter than the 1050 grams of the 18".  Sadly, the Nel's were never on the recent Minelab's due to chipping. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, GR Guy said:

What the ad says:

"Up to 30% more depth than the 15" coil, so you can unearth hidden treasures like never before"

There's 2 red flags in that quote:

1) "Up to" is meaningless. In other words, up to, could mean only 1%. Companies use the up to term, in the hope that people focus on the high number, and not the "up to" part.

2) 30% on what? Certainly not a coin sized object in the ground, otherwise they would have stated so, instead of making a meaningless and misleading statement about its depth. Like I said previously, it's 30% more depth on objects much larger than coin size.

Above around the 13" to 15" coil size, sensitivity to coin sized objects lying flat in the ground begins to significantly decrease. That decrease in sensitivity is even more pronounced when the coins aren't lying flat. The larger the coil, the more spread out the field's waves are, and the less eddy currents are produced, on equivalently sized targets. 

Going from a 15" to 18" coil, would likely provide no additional depth on coin sized objects in the ground, and may even get less depth on edged coins. Throw in the extra ground interference and extra EMI, and it gets even worse.

Once coils get above that 13" to 15" range, it's about extra coverage, not extra depth on coin sized objects.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Digalicious said:

Once coils get above that 13" to 15" range, it's about extra coverage, not extra depth on coin sized objects.

Exactly and as Phrunt said previously, if it’s coverage you are after (and buying into the physics that determines that there is a round coil diameter above which results in minimal depth gain per inch/cm coil diameter increase for a coin or ring sized target), an elliptical coil form factor gives you that additional coverage at a substantially lower weight penalty and with roughly equivalent depth vs. a round coil with a diameter that is the same as the length of the long axis on an elliptical coil.

• Like 2